Ye old football action with

wellerwasbest

A young Pat cuff making a save in a game, for those who said they never saw him make one

A old work mate got in touch with me and asked if i could put some action downloaded from the 70s involving Middlesbrough on a disc for his father and pass it on, said his ill at the moment living in Switzerland and asked casually

So i had a look, there are bits and pieces but found some stuff, Funny on here the other day it was mentioned that the Boro had a good side at that time
Anyway come across this and as it played i thought i know that fella and Yes it was a young Pat Cuff in goal for them(the commentator does not say his name) anyway thought i would share, i know a few like a bit of old action
For me the club that has changed the most that old place Ayresome Park i always thought it was one of the fiercest places to go to
Alf Wood also in the Boro side, look out for Pat getting a hand on super macs volley and pushing it on to the bar ...........

wellerwasbest

From what i heard about him a Pat Cuff save is a collectors item
Yeah he certainly was not rated from his days at the old Den

I dont know if he, Cuff was in goal for the next round Liverpool in the Quarter final shown here, worth a look for sounesses reaction alone , against a club he was to later sign for

zak attack

From what i heard about him a Pat Cuff save is a collectors item

For all you young uns there are three things to know about Pat Cuff.

a) He had different ways of kicking the ball upfield. If he'd got hold of it during play, it would be long, elegant and with lots of authority. If he'd pick it out of the net, it would be short and sideways to a random teammate.
b) He did a double-armed windmill before (and sometimes during) corners
c) The reason he doesn't appear in any of the YouTube videos of the most breathtaking goalkeeper cock ups of all time is that our games were hardly ever televised

So when John Jackson came, it was back to serious goalkeeping. Which was nice in a way, because I'd completely forgotten what that was about.

BigPaul

Far and away the worst goalkeeper I've ever had the misfortune to see, He gifted Palace three goals in a masterclass of incompetence, I hated him at the time.
We had a black bloke once who would give Cuff a run for his money.
I forget his name. Late 90's I seem to remember?
I vaguely remember a Boxing day game against Peterborough where he gave them 2 goals in the first half.
Or have I completely ballsed it up again?

The German Herman

We had a black bloke once who would give Cuff a run for his money.
I forget his name. Late 90's I seem to remember?
I vaguely remember a Boxing day game against Peterborough where he gave them 2 goals in the first half.
Or have I completely ballsed it up again?
I remember him John Granville?.

ringo_the_lion

Granville was the name in my head, but I didn't want to say it in case I was completely wrong.
Granville made his debut in a 6-1 loss at Norwich, we were 4 down after about 18 minutes, the game was memorable for a young Sherringham coming on for the last few minutes and scoring a brilliant 30 yarder .
To be fair to Granville the next week we beat Leeds 3-1 at home and he played a blinder.

ringo_the_lion

Granville made his debut in a 6-1 loss at Norwich, we were 4 down after about 18 minutes, the game was memorable for a young Sherringham coming on for the last few minutes and scoring a brilliant 30 yarder .
To be fair to Granville the next week we beat Leeds 3-1 at home and he played a blinder.
Just to correct myself his debut was against Leeds and his last game was a few weeks later after the Norwich thrashing.

whiskylion

Far and away the worst goalkeeper I've ever had the misfortune to see, He gifted Palace three goals in a masterclass of incompetence, I hated him at the time.
Then I can only presume you never saw John Granville.

A couple if seasons after giving him the boot, he had dropped down to the Isthmian League and was unable to command a regular first team place even there....

whiskylion

Sorry, Ringo. Didn't see this.

Actually, Granville didn't make his debut for us at Carrow Road. I think he had played in four or five games for us before then. He made his debut against either Leeds or Middlesboro, I think. Don't have my records with me.

Either way, your memory is playing tricks on you.

But Norwich was certainly his last game for us. You had to be there to believe it.

The closest we have come since was Archer's bizarre display at Sunderland.

The German Herman

Then I can only presume you never saw John Granville.

A couple if seasons after giving him the boot, he had dropped down to the Isthmian League and was unable to command a regular first team place even there....
Granville had a short career with us, Cuff had two seasons? so he stuck in the memory longer.

ringo_the_lion

Sorry, Ringo. Didn't see this.

Actually, Granville didn't make his debut for us at Carrow Road. I think he had played in four or five games for us before then. He made his debut against either Leeds or Middlesboro, I think. Don't have my records with me.

Either way, your memory is playing tricks on you.

But Norwich was certainly his last game for us. You had to be there to believe it.

The closest we have come since was Archer's bizarre display at Sunderland.
Whisky I corrected myself just after I wrote this as I doubted myself, Leeds was his debut and Norwich was his last game for us, he played six games winning all three home games and losing all three away games.
I was at the Norwich game.

rotherwall

Granville made his debut in a 6-1 loss at Norwich, we were 4 down after about 18 minutes, the game was memorable for a young Sheringham coming on for the last few minutes and scoring a brilliant 30 yarder .
Sorry to correct you Ringo, but Norwich was Granvllie's last game, Leeds was his debut. Wasn't one of George Graham's better signings, though Bob Pearson may have had part in bringing Granville in.