YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2012–2015Shrewsbury Town91(1)
2015–2019Brentford122(3)
2018–2019Stoke City (loan)21(0)
2019–Stoke City14(0)
2020Millwall (loan)18(0)
2020–Millwall (loan)19(0

His goal record is appalling, Abdou got more and with all that running about

More of a Alan Dorney ( one for the young uns )
I don't know what Alan as a very good and reliable centre half has got to do with anything to be honest. He never claimed to be a ball player or especially good passer let alone a goal scorer. If anybody was distributing from the back it tended to be Dennis Burnett and he would more often than not be using Weller, Dunphy, Bolland, Allder or on a very bad day Smethurst as a go between. PS I never liked Smethurst a bits and pieces player with a strange idea of his own ability.

whiskylion

Alan Dorney was 100 times the player that Woods is
I was thinking back to the first time I covered a game at Kenilworth Road from the press box there: it was in April 1974....and the bloody posts were in the way then, too.

Anyway, second tier football was such a higher quality then than now. And so much more fun to watch.

The game is slowly being strangled to death by so much negativity from the dugout and players terrified of making a mistake.

Poplar Lion

I was thinking back to the first time I covered a game at Kenilworth Road from the press box there: it was in April 1974....and the bloody posts were in the way then, too.

Anyway, second tier football was such a higher quality then than now. And so much more fun to watch.

The game is slowly being strangled to death by so much negativity from the dugout and players terrified of making a mistake.
Spot on

The Humble One

And IIRC that was a match we got tonked in towards the end of Fenton's reign when he was tying to rebuild the team. But at least people were playing entertaining football.

wellerwasbest

I don't know what Alan as a very good and reliable centre half has got to do with anything to be honest. He never claimed to be a ball player or especially good passer let alone a goal scorer. If anybody was distributing from the back it tended to be Dennis Burnett and he would more often than not be using Weller, Dunphy, Bolland, Allder or on a very bad day Smethurst as a go between. PS I never liked Smethurst a bits and pieces player with a strange idea of his own ability.
it was a joke sort of about his goals Dorney getting one but some have took it a different way
i know it was not Dorneys game to get goals, he said on a recent interview he got a nose bleed if he come past the half way line and did not know what to do when he scored his goal
Maybe i should have used Paul Roberts as an example who never ever scored
Smethurst was also a far better player than woods and at one time went out with my sister for a very short time
He also came to a few family partys including her wedding funnily enough as did Billy Neil who used to work with my brother in law during the close season

Last edited:

The Humble One

How many of todays team would make it into that team?
We had Eddie Jones rather than \Donaldson at right back and were playing Dougie Allder further back to make room for "Merlin" Hill and he was never happy there. So that's a couple of places. Maybe Wallace for Smethurst? Three at most. And that wasn't an especially good line up to be honest

wellerwasbest

is it the managers passing their fear onto players do you think ?
You know worrying about results and not losing They have a mortgage, Kids and wifes, cars to keep and all the other stuff etc worrying about losing it all hence all the defensive fear mongering football served up

Im just finding the football so fucking boring i really am, back pass, knock it back, sideways, hold it , back to you ffs i dont think even many of the players enjoy playing these days other than the money

its all fear fear fear and caution , dont make a mistake
Makes for awful awful viewing imho

wall to wall 82

With the average tenure of a championship manager being less than 2 years there is no point in long term planning just scrape enough points to please the owners and keep your job as long as you can

whiskylion

is it the managers passing their fear onto players do you think ?
You know worrying about results and not losing They have a mortgage, Kids and wifes, cars to keep and all the other stuff etc

Im just finding the football so fucking boring i really am, back pass, knock it back, sideways, hold it , back to you ffs i dont think even many of the players enjoy playing these days other than the money

its all fear fear fear and caution , dont make a mistake
Makes for awful awful viewing imho
Yes, I was going to make that point.

Managers were once given a couple of seasons to see what they could do. Now they live in fear, so just take the cautious approach.

That said, Harris was safe. And so is this manager to a degree because we are not a sacking club.

Doesn't explain the lack of entertainment in our case.

wellerwasbest

Yes, I was going to make that point.

Managers were once given a couple of seasons to see what they could do. Now they live in fear, so just take the cautious approach.

That said, Harris was safe. And so is this manager to a degree because we are not a sacking club.

Doesn't explain the lack of entertainment in our case.
I know we all at times like a little moan up but i don't think I've ever seen so many comments about the football being played by Millwall since i supported the club , the style and entertainment and not in a favourable way

Caught the Last 5 mins on that LL Dan programme and the comments section was full of it
Its like if a player goes down the wing at pace now and puts in a cross for someone to slide in or get their nut on it ala Carter--sheringham Cas or Allder Bridges Possee days its not real football , something to look down on , a sort of snobbery attached to it

Wenger had a bit of that about him , could never seemed to grasp that a 15 man passing move goal got you no further points wise as a stoke player for example launching a throw onto a players nut to score in two movements

Or maybe it was the Spanish and Barca tippy tap style that brought all this in

BigPaul

It is now 1328hrs on Wednesday afternoon.
I have only now realised that this thread is about Tiger Woods, the American golfer, and not our ginger midfielder.
I was trying to work out how a bloke I had just seen for 80 odd minutes on a football pitch was suddenly going to have surgery.

I was confused, but no more than a normal day. :grinning: :grinning:

Ulster Lion

I have only now realised that this thread is about Tiger Woods, the American golfer, and not our ginger midfielder.
I was trying to work out how a bloke I had just seen for 80 odd minutes on a football pitch was suddenly going to have surgery.

I thought he had maybe stepped on a mine. You know, the one's that everyone has told him are planted in the opponents half.

Kryan Bing

This thread is certainly a contender for 'Morph of the Day'.

:rotfl: