The Stoke City Fan Love In For Millwall & Gary Rowett

Life with the Lions

Why do all other teams supporters go into meltdown mode when we beat them ?
Because they think they play silky football and little cash strapped Millwall can only play hoof ball (which, to be fair, under Harris, we did do quite a bit).

It is a shame, because over the years (with the exception of the Lomas and Holloway eras, and the end of the Harris era), I would say that Millwall have always strived to play football on the grass, and always had (for the most part), talented individuals who were part of some exceptional teams, certainly since I’ve been watching them, which has been from the mid 1970’s right up to today!

Unfortunately, other supporters memories don’t go back as far as our supporters can remember, so all opposing supporters remember is the shit Harris Hoof Ball, and they believe our club’s football philosophy will always be like that! Stick Rowett into the mix - a manager that plays boring, defensive football (and hasn’t ever won a promotion for any team he has managed), and the circle is complete.

These supporters also hate our history of football violence, conveniently forgetting that many teams, up and down the land, had their own firms who were quite happy to go toe to toe with Millwall supporters (and other firms), but somehow that’s all forgotten. Why feel ashamed of your own supporters past, when you can feel holier than thou by blaming those nasty Millwall supporters for their history of football violence?

Teams like Derby, Forest, QPR (to name but a few) have been stuck in the Championship for years, still bemoaning their lot and still not understanding why ‘superior’ clubs like themselves are not back in the Premiershit.

They need to realise the clue is in the title ‘why we are superior against the likes of Millwall’ - it’s because you‘re not - you just mistakenly think you are!

whiskylion

Because they think they play silky football and little cash strapped Millwall can only play hoof ball (which, to be fair, under Harris, we did do quite a bit).

It is a shame, because over the years (with the exception of the Lomas and Holloway eras, and the end of the Harris era), I would say that Millwall have always strived to play football on the grass, and always had (for the most part), talented individuals who were part of some exceptional teams, certainly since I’ve been watching them, which has been from the mid 1970’s right up to today!

Unfortunately, other supporters memories don’t go back as far as our supporters can remember, so all opposing supporters remember is the shit Harris Hoof Ball, and they believe our club’s football philosophy will always be like that! Stick Rowett into the mix - a manager that plays boring, defensive football (and hasn’t ever won a promotion for any team he has managed), and the circle is complete.

These supporters also hate our history of football violence, conveniently forgetting that many teams, up and down the land, had their own firms who were quite happy to go toe to toe with Millwall supporters (and other firms), but somehow that’s all forgotten. Why feel ashamed of your own supporters past, when you can feel holier than thou by blaming those nasty Millwall supporters for their history of football violence?

Teams like Derby, Forest, QPR (to name but a few) have been stuck in the Championship for years, still bemoaning their lot and still not understanding why ‘superior’ clubs like themselves are not back in the Premiershit.

They need to realise the clue is in the title ‘why we are superior against the likes of Millwall’ - it’s because you‘re not - you just mistakenly think you are!
I'm afraid Harris played one form of hoofball (aka Harrisball) or another from the day he took over.

When Worzel was out the door, the first player to be binned by Harris was the classiest player we've had in the last decade, Fabbrini. He played all his football on the deck....and that was not in Harris' plans. So out he went. I don't think he played a single minute under Harris.

I still remember to this day the cold feeling of dread and foreboding I felt when that happened. And Harris didn't disappoint. Or, rather, he did.

The only football we ever played was the interplay between Gregory and Morison; or sometimes Gregory, Morison and Jed.

Sorry, but NH was tactically a one-trick pony. To paint it otherwise distorts the history of Millwall FC.

The good news was that the man who admired Fabrinni and signed him from Watford after Harris returned him was our present manager today. Which suggests that with the right players he will getting us playing a passing game - there was certainly evidence of that today: that was essentially his midfield he had in place today.

Last edited:

33lion

Logged onto one of their forums this evening!

They don’t like us or their previous manager! Love it!

Here’s a few examples of their prose, during our game against the mighty Potters!

Enjoy!

1st half.

“Millwall look set up to try and play out a 0-0. Who's their manager again?”

“Altogether now ‘Gary Rowett your football is shit’”

”Millwall look like a Gary Rowett team and that’s not a compliment. That said, you can see them still beating us.”

“What a bollocks goal that is. They have been nowhere near this game.”

“soooo against the run of play.”

“Just fuck off rowett, ref and everything else associated with fucking millwall!”

“Good goal and well deserved. No way did we deserve to be behind.”

“Great response from the players. We're far better than these twats lets go on and show it......”

“Rowett is utter garbage and nowhere near ONeill.”

“If you're going to be a shit ref, you're supposed to favour either the home team or the bigger club. Neither of which are fucking Millwall.”

“I could understand a bit more if it was Watford, Brentford or Bournemouth and the perception of how they play, but Millwall? Gary Rowett's Millwall? Really?”

2nd half.

“They've brought on Kieftenbeld lads, a defensive midfielder...”

“This Bennett is a right drama queen.”

“Rowett’s sub changed the balance of this game shame he couldn’t do it here.”

“Get Clucas on, he can score a goal from nothing. Going to take a moment of quality or an error to break their 10 man defence down.....”

“It's starting to feel like this has smash and grab written all over it.....”

“Catastrophic defending🤦🏻‍♂️

“We've gifted them two goals. It's unreal.”

“Millwalls half time sub changed the game and MoN as failed to react to it.”

“How are we losing to this trash?! A side that came for a 0-0!”

“They have been the better side since the substitution....because we have been so poor.”

“I hate to say it about the nasty bastards that are Milwall - but they have come out 2nd half and showed they are up for it. We have criminally been unprofessional, sloppy, and thrown this away. We are a shambles at times.”

“Classic Stoke. Concede 2 to a side that came for 0-0.”

“Imagine being out coached by Gary Bastard Rowett🙄

“His sub stifled us, then Batth fucked up. We were terrible second half but Millwall were gifted their victory......”

“Losing to a Rowett team is a new low even for us.”

“They were so shite until they scored. I'm fuming at the idea they might get in the playoffs.”

“Rubbish, Rowett is a rancid chancer of a manager and what undid us was a diabolical bout of defending by Baath. Take that out and it’s 1-1 or 2-1 us. They got lucky on the day and once he shut up shop at half time it was going to be an utterly shit game whatever, just like Rowett subjected us to time after time.”

And in reply to that reply, a supporter said this - which was the most balanced view of the lot:

“They didn't shut up shop, they actually moved the ball quicker than us and were a yard sharper. They defended resolutely when they needed to and we had no idea how to break them down. We bossed the first, they the second, horror mistake, fine margins..”

OK, it’s fun to read comments like these (especially when we win the game), but many of them do seem to mirror some of our own thoughts about Rowett and his defensive type of play. It seems that it’s not only been at Millwall that his style of football has been called out, which makes it all the more worrying that as Stoke manager he was given a large pot of transfer money to sign players, many of which, as it turned out during the following season, didn’t seem to add much more to the team as a whole. Rowett left the club with players they couldn’t get rid of, and who were on massive wages!

Has Rowett learned from those managerial transfer mistakes, or could he repeat them if Berylson was to give him a decent transfer pot at the end of this season? That is the $64,0000 question! I’d like to think he has learned from those mistakes, because if we don’t want another season like this one, with too many draws that could cost us a play off place (or better), we have to buy one, possibly two 20+ goal scoring forwards, as well as a box to box midfielder and perhaps another covering centre half, if we want any chance of doing better this season (especially if we were somehow able to get to the play offs or, shock horror, promotion to the Premiershit!).

Re: Rowett’s signings, he’s surely won some respect and trust from Berylson to go out and improve us how he sees fit whilst also being sensible. Every one of his signings so far has improved us, bar Parrott who was a gamble and Zohore who has struggled for fitness and suffered injury.

It won’t take much for us to go to that next level, after all, Rowett’s achieving a lot with this group of players and I feel he’s barely got started yet due to covid and whatever else. I feel we are a centre forward and an Eze type attacking midfielder away from being able to make a push. Identifying the right fit will be challenging given our budget but I would expect us to have to spend £5m+ to get what we need.

We’ll have to be ruthless. Despite us having another good season it still feels like there is deadwood to clear which is a positive as it shows we are moving in the right direction. Bradshaw, Bodvarsson, Pearce, Ferguson can go.

The re-build of our forward line is going to be crucial next season, will be interesting to see who Rowett has lined up.

T28ColdBlowLion

Stat that matters

Stoke (IRA apologists) 1-2 Millwall (England through and through)

As for our Englishman Gary Rowett v their beloved Irishman O’Niell:

O’Neill (with relatively massive budget) 1 - 2 Rowett (with 3rd lowest budget in Championship)

putting all that in the logarithmic and algorithmic calculator = Millwall say a resounding “fuck you and have some of that” as they laugh at the potteries fans who run from port vale’s third string every time they come within striking distance

Life with the Lions

I'm afraid Harris played one form of hoofball (aka Harrisball) or another from the day he took over.

When Worzel was out the door, the first player to be binned by Harris was the classiest player we've had in the last decade, Fabbrini. He played all his football on the deck....and that was not in Harris' plans. So out he went. I don't think he played a single minute under Harris.

I still remember to this day a cold feeling of dread I felt when that happened. And Harris didn't disappoint. Or, rather, he did.

The only football we ever played was the interplay between Gregory and Morison; or sometimes Gregory, Morison and Jed.

Sorry, but NH was tactically a one-trick pony. To paint it otherwise distorts the history of Millwall FC.

The good news was that the man who admired Fabrinni and signed him from Watford after Harris returned him was our present manager today. Which suggests that with the right players he will getting us playing a passing game - there was certainly evidence of that today: that was essentially his midfield he had in place today.
Whisky, you’re right, Harris was a one trick pony!

My “we did do quite a bit” was an acknowledgement that, although we did have some good results under him (the Interplay you referred to between Gregory, Morison and Wallace), it was definitely the last 18 months of Harris’ tenure where the hoof ball was much, much worse, and the games we lost (and shouldn’t have) were as a direct result of the way he wanted the team to play, and his tactical inability to beat the opposition, even when sometimes we were in the ascendancy and ended up throwing the game away!

Add to that, his inability to know which players to keep (Fabrinni) and who to go for/give a try out to (Pukki - now at Norwich), along with buying the wrong forward players like Bod and Bradshaw, just showed how out of depth he was as a manager.

He proved this again at Cardiff with the same results. Big Mick comes in as his replacement, and with the same team that played for Harris (including a couple of Harris’ own signings), he gets that team playing well and they get the results that propel them up the table (notwithstanding the horror show of yesterday against Sheffield Wednesday lol).

A great player for us, but very limited as a manager.

whiskylion

Whisky, you’re right, Harris was a one trick pony!

My “we did do quite a bit” was an acknowledgement that, although we did have some good results under him (the Interplay you referred to between Gregory, Morison and Wallace), it was definitely the last 18 months of Harris’ tenure where the hoof ball was much, much worse, and the games we lost (and shouldn’t have) were as a direct result of the way he wanted the team to play, and his tactical inability to beat the opposition, even when sometimes we were in the ascendancy and ended up throwing the game away!

Add to that, his inability to know which players to keep (Fabrinni) and who to go for/give a try out to (Pukki - now at Norwich), along with buying the wrong forward players like Bod and Bradshaw, just showed how out of depth he was as a manager.

He proved this again at Cardiff with the same results. Big Mick comes in as his replacement, and with the same team that played for Harris (including a couple of Harris’ own signings), he gets that team playing well and they get the results that propel them up the table (notwithstanding the horror show of yesterday against Sheffield Wednesday lol).

A great player for us, but very limited as a manager.
A great player does not a manager make....

Wippa

Does anyone recall the game at Stoke , the old place , the game when The Yank scored and Bogie in a 2-1 win ?
McCarthy not big mick the other one scored a incredible og

im thinking more off the field in the seats, anyone know what im on about

I had a picture somewhere but cant find it of the crowd that day
It went off in the town before the game and I got nicked, by Clayton of all people, so missed the fun and games in the ground. I’ve got the picture somewhere, I’ll dig it out.

ballsey

Does anyone recall the game at Stoke , the old place , the game when The Yank scored and Bogie in a 2-1 win ?

A great away day, always remember one of their boys in the seats jumping from the top teir to the bottom rather than face us.

Stoke all come down to the station after the game while the old bill prevented them coming in, " hold me back style" shame they didnt have the same attitude before the game when about three of their pubs got done over.

Also think that was the game Reg Burr got the train back with the fans.

Last edited:

Lion of rotherhithe

It went off in the town before the game and I got nicked, by Clayton of all people, so missed the fun and games in the ground. I’ve got the picture somewhere, I’ll dig it out.
Little skirmishes before the game around town, was that the game they attacked the pub, well chucked a few bricks/bottles at the windows then had it on their toes when we piled out? As we got to the ground near our turnstiles a big lump approached my mate (plod standing a couple of yards away) said I'm Stoke rolled up his sleeve and had a west ham tattoo, mate pushed him in the face said fuck off prick, got refused entry😁

The German Herman

The next season was better which is being discussed on hof at the moment.

The German Herman

A great away day, always remember one of their boys in the seats jumping from the top teir to the bottom rather than face us.

Stoke all come down to the station after the game while the old bill prevented them coming in, " hold me back style" shame they didnt have the same attitude before the game when about three of their pubs got done over.

Also think that was the game Reg Burr got the train back with the fans.
That's the reason they attacked tropics

Wippa

That's the reason they attacked tropics
Yeah, from what I was told (I was in a cell at the time) during the game Millwall shouted across to stoke, when you come down to ours come to The Tropics, as that was the main pub at the time. Then a little while in to the season a load of ours got barred after a bit of trouble between Millwall (boro at home I think) so we started drinking elsewhere, mostly the gardeners.

they headed for the tropics which was fair enough as that’s where they’d been told to go but we’d all stopped using it by then

westlion 2

seen that on hof not a good day on and off the pitch, run out of their own end by the soft suvverners, northern wank cunts

Ilderton Wanderer

Stoke always bang on about Tropics and fair play they had a tidy mob that day. One thing is for definite though they never petrol bombed it or torched it, I know because I was in there when it happened, our lot had left from the Gardiners about half an hour earlier to meet them in Grange Rd and went past Tropics to round up a few more bods. My mate was on bail and couldn’t risk another nicking so we stayed in Tropics while everyone else went towards the fort where Stoke were.

What actually happened was that Stoke had left the fort and went down Dunton Rd and cut through the flats and on to Lynton Rd, there is a few photos I’ve seen over the years of Stoke walking up Lynton Rd. So as our lot was going down Grange Rd a few hundred yards away Stoke were going in the opposite direction unknown to each other.

When they arrived at Tropics they were virtually unchallenged, apart from me and my mate there was a couple of shirters and a family with young kids who I’ll never forget we’re absolutely terrified as they wrecked the gaff. All we could do was lob a few things out of the smashed windows at them, at one point I stuck my head up to take a look and they had big numbers, their mob went right back under the bridge.

After they fucked off five minutes later our lot came tearing up Gallywall Rd armed to the teeth but it was too late. We headed for the ground and caught up with them as they were going in the turnstiles and attacked them but got beaten back by old bill on horses. Anyone remember a year later when we met in the old Greg in Jamaica Rd? They got stopped on the way and escorted straight to the ground early but we slipped down Zampa Rd but they wouldn’t get off their coaches

Lion of rotherhithe

Stoke always bang on about Tropics and fair play they had a tidy mob that day. One thing is for definite though they never petrol bombed it or torched it, I know because I was in there when it happened, our lot had left from the Gardiners about half an hour earlier to meet them in Grange Rd and went past Tropics to round up a few more bods. My mate was on bail and couldn’t risk another nicking so we stayed in Tropics while everyone else went towards the fort where Stoke were.

What actually happened was that Stoke had left the fort and went down Dunton Rd and cut through the flats and on to Lynton Rd, there is a few photos I’ve seen over the years of Stoke walking up Lynton Rd. So as our lot was going down Grange Rd a few hundred yards away Stoke were going in the opposite direction unknown to each other.

When they arrived at Tropics they were virtually unchallenged, apart from me and my mate there was a couple of shirters and a family with young kids who I’ll never forget we’re absolutely terrified as they wrecked the gaff. All we could do was lob a few things out of the smashed windows at them, at one point I stuck my head up to take a look and they had big numbers, their mob went right back under the bridge.

After they fucked off five minutes later our lot came tearing up Gallywall Rd armed to the teeth but it was too late. We headed for the ground and caught up with them as they were going in the turnstiles and attacked them but got beaten back by old bill on horses. Anyone remember a year later when we met in the old Greg in Jamaica Rd? They got stopped on the way and escorted straight to the ground early but we slipped down Zampa Rd but they wouldn’t get off their coaches
Fucking cheek😉 shirters😁 had arranged to meet a mate in there, was also in gardeners first (I think) as we got there was an old mate just leaving, said stoke were down the fort, pub had 15-20 still in there Roughly? (Memories fucked) decided to wait for mate, a few minutes later dermot (the guvnor) shouting away from the windows as he shut the main doors, then as you said windows go through, managed to get near dj box and get a couple away but too much coming in so stood to the side, but from memory they made no attempt to get in even though they must've seen not many in there

Wippa

Yeah they had a good mob out but there’s no way they’d have had a free reign to smash up the tropics even if there was half a mob in there. Place was more or less empty but they’ve been going on about it for decades claiming a result, a la West Ham with the Windsor.

I heard they tried to set fire to some curtains of one of the broken windows with a lighter. That turned in to being ‘petrol bombed’ over the years and they’ve even got a banner about it.

Lion of rotherhithe

Yeah they had a good mob out but there’s no way they’d have had a free reign to smash up the tropics even if there was half a mob in there. Place was more or less empty but they’ve been going on about it for decades claiming a result, a la West Ham with the Windsor.

I heard they tried to set fire to some curtains of one of the broken windows with a lighter. That turned in to being ‘petrol bombed’ over the years and they’ve even got a banner about it.
I don't recall any curtains set alight, the few times I managed to get a look out they were nowhere near the windows, most were in the road.