The Hundred

lottwall

Jimmy Anderson made an appearance to tell everyone how great It was. That Is was packed (with over half the seats empty) behind him and that the atmosphere was amazing (quiet at the time and had been for a while) There was no conviction In what he was saying but he was giving It a right good go anyway. To the point Infact that you could accuse him of lying.
Tuffnel and Vaughn were getting right Into It In the commentary box, Flintoff and Lego have made videos promoting It and the Eoin Morgan says the excitement of the England team Is through the roof and that they need the 100 more than the 100 needs them.

Old school greats these are not, but there are plenty of people who have been Instrumental In England's success over the past 20 years who are right behind It, publicly at least. I think the ECB Is putting a lot of pressure on players to comply and toe the narrative they are projecting whilst others are very much happy to sell out the game for their own monetary gain and media carears.
The only ones talking in favour of The Hundred are those who are earning out of it…… a blind man can see it a joke tournament and dangerous to County cricket and ultimately Test Cricket.

Polegate Lion

I’ve just turned over to Sky to see what all the fuss is about. What I’ve seen so far is Stuart Broad and Nasser Hussain enthusing over what a great match the women put on last night. What a great crowd it was. What a great atmosphere there was. Everything was either great, or exciting, or brilliant, or wonderful.

To me, it sounds like a load of contrived bullshit with paid actors in the crowd to dance about at the behest of the Sky cameras.

Stompie

I’ve just turned over to Sky to see what all the fuss is about. What I’ve seen so far is Stuart Broad and Nasser Hussain enthusing over what a great match the women put on last night. What a great crowd it was. What a great atmosphere there was. Everything was either great, or exciting, or brilliant, or wonderful.

To me, it sounds like a load of contrived bullshit with paid actors in the crowd to dance about at the behest of the Sky cameras.
On the BBC they keep cutting to brief and mind numbing Interviews with the crowd or some string. They keep pushing the atmosphere when talking to them aswell.

I can say for certain that the atmosphere Is nothing like It was when we beat Pakistan the other night.

Polegate Lion

You know you’re not watching proper sport when the likes of Jos Buttler in between the super, smashing, lovely platitudes, refers to what I’ve just been looking at as a ‘product’.

EVOJM1972

You know you’re not watching proper sport when the likes of Jos Buttler in between the super, smashing, lovely platitudes, refers to what I’ve just been looking at as a ‘product’.
I saw somewhere that this is worth £1.4m to each county which will obviously keep the financial wolves from the door for some of them. They're nothing but 'Company Men' now.
I was quite looking forward to Somerset v Yorkshire at Taunton a week on Sunday but I'm assuming that both teams will have given up some of their best players to this pantomime so I'm glad we've had to cancel it.

Last edited:

Polegate Lion

I saw somewhere that this is worth £1.4m to each county which will obviously keep the financial wolves from the door for some counties. They're nothing but 'Company Men' now.
I was quite looking forward to Somerset v Yorkshire at Taunton a week on Sunday but I'm assuming that both teams will have given up some of their best players to this pantomime so I'm glad we've had to cancel it.

I noticed today that Kent played Durham at Beckenham in a 50 over game. Kent won the toss and put Durham in to bat. 405 runs later Kent went in to bat and lost by over a hundred runs. Not only did Kent miss Sam Billings runs, they badly missed his captaincy as well.

Brusselslion

I think that this new format creates more problems than it solves e.g. trying to fit yet another format into an already over-congested schedule. I also can't see what void this new format fills? Despite the 5 and 10 ball "overs", it's too close in structure and duration to be much different to T20.

I suppose the acid test is whether 'The Hundreds' takes off in India. I'd like to think that it won't and that it dies a quiet death in a couple of years time; however, I never thought that T20 would be a success, so on that basis 'The Hundreds' is bound to succeed.

lottwall

I noticed today that Kent played Durham at Beckenham in a 50 over game. Kent won the toss and put Durham in to bat. 405 runs later Kent went in to bat and lost by over a hundred runs. Not only did Kent miss Sam Billings runs, they badly missed his captaincy as well.
The 50 over tournament is now called a ‘development’ competition by the ECB….. counties have given up their best players to The Hundred , so it is in all but name a Second Team Tournament.

Last edited:

Brusselslion

The ECB seem to think that they can differentiate the market into the 'Hundreds' for a family friendly evening out, and the T20 for the Friday night piss heads.

The novelty value of the new format, coupled with people wanting to get out and about after the lifting of Covid restrictions, probably means that it will look like a huge success this season. Next season will offer a better perspective of its long-term future in the UK. Internationally unless India embraces it, it's a dead duck

BigPaul

It sounds like "It's a Knockout" without the water sports.

But I'm still confused....this is women?
If so it's not proper cricket in the first place.

EVOJM1972

It sounds like "It's a Knockout" without the water sports.

But I'm still confused....this is women?
If so it's not proper cricket in the first place.
They're doing 'Double-headers' (and I don't mean the battery powered type most the 'women' might be familiar with) - last night it was the bloke's teams turn.