The Hundred

The German Herman

I've put It on just to see what It's about.

It's an abomination.

Gender neutral language, rediculous graphics, live music, the removal of the over, the pissing about with bowling, the crowd cheering for generic slides stopping the ball from hitting the boundary, the hype of the women players (I've lost count how many times a player has been referred to as one of the best In the world), the fact that the presenters are trying to sell this as the biggest thing to ever happen to sport and that It's what everyone wants, the kits that resemble those of an American sports franchise, the poor quality of the women's teams that they chose to open the tournament.

It took 80 balls to break 100 runs.
The removal of overs? WTF.

Stompie

The removal of overs? WTF.
I come to the conclusion yesterday, what with the dumbing down of the game, the fruity graphics, the pop music/entertainment/fireworks, the cheap celebrities and the fact that women seem to be the front and centre of It all that this Is a format mainly designed and aimed at kids, women and homosexuals.

robbo555

I am all for new things and trying to reach new audiences, but I thought it was rubbish. If anything, it made it more complicated.

The reason cricket has a narrow appeal at the moment is because it's on subscription TV. When the Ashes were on Channel 4 in 2005 it had regular audiences of 3-4 million and around 8 million (for the 4th Test I think).

If you want people to watch cricket and get involved put it on a free-to-air channel. Don't fuck about with the integrity of the game, because that will do it more bad than good.

Why does everything have to be so dumbed down these days?

lottwall

Talking of cricket phrases no longer used, a Chinaman which I think is a left armed leg spinner. Don’t think I’ve seen many even in village cricket but now unacceptable and racist.

Occasionally hear “wrong un” which also probably won’t be heard much longer.
A chinaman is an orthodox left arm spinners equivalent ball to that of a right arm leg spinners googly.

DensLions

Watched the first game and that's it. The geniuses who thought it up must be fucking mad but I can't believe the players themselves agreeing to turn cricket into such a farce. Bradman, Hutton etc must be turning in their graves.

Glasglion

Talking of cricket phrases no longer used, a Chinaman which I think is a left armed leg spinner. Don’t think I’ve seen many even in village cricket but now unacceptable and racist.

Occasionally hear “wrong un” which also probably won’t be heard much longer.
A chinaman is an orthodox left arm spinners equivalent ball to that of a right arm leg spinners googly.
Agreed.

Stompie

Watched the first game and that's it. The geniuses who thought it up must be fucking mad but I can't believe the players themselves agreeing to turn cricket into such a farce. Bradman, Hutton etc must be turning in their graves.
Jimmy Anderson made an appearance to tell everyone how great It was. That Is was packed (with over half the seats empty) behind him and that the atmosphere was amazing (quiet at the time and had been for a while) There was no conviction In what he was saying but he was giving It a right good go anyway. To the point Infact that you could accuse him of lying.
Tuffnel and Vaughn were getting right Into It In the commentary box, Flintoff and Lego have made videos promoting It and the Eoin Morgan says the excitement of the England team Is through the roof and that they need the 100 more than the 100 needs them.

Old school greats these are not, but there are plenty of people who have been Instrumental In England's success over the past 20 years who are right behind It, publicly at least. I think the ECB Is putting a lot of pressure on players to comply and toe the narrative they are projecting whilst others are very much happy to sell out the game for their own monetary gain and media carears.

Last edited: