The Greatest Centre Half the World has ever Seen!

Life with the Lions

Flicking through t’internet (as you do), I came across this from Sunderland’s Roker Report, and thought it might be of interest to some of our younger Lions who weren’t around at that time (myself included).

whiskylion

Footnotes to that article.

**At the end of the 1957/58 season Sunderland were relegated for the first time in their history, finishing second to bottom.

**At the end of the 1957/58 season Millwall also finished second to bottom and had to apply for re-election to the Football League for only the second time in their history.

**More irritating, Millwall had only to finish that season in the top half of Div 3 South and they would have been in Division 3 the following season. Instead they were allocated a place in the brand new Division 4...where they were to remain until 1962.

**In the 10 games Hurley played for us in 57/58 we won 5 of them. After Hurley departed for Sunderland we we won only six (6) morel season....

**When Hurley travelled to QPR on Monday 23rd September 1957 for his final game for Millwall, the Lions were in sixth place in the table, just two points off top spot.

**Playing for QPR against Hurley that night was a certain George Petchey.

**When Millwall played their first game after Hurley's sale, at Swindon, they had dropped to 9th after that defeat at QPR, but still only two points off top spot.

**It took Millwall another 17 games to amass the 11 points accrued when Hurley was playing.

**Ray Brand who Millwall had "lined-up" to replace Hurley had long been at Millwall and, as a local boy, had cost the club nothing. In other words, none of the £18,000 received from Sunderland was used to find a replacement for Hurley.

whiskylion

Charlie Hurley quiz:

Which legendary Millwall figure spotted Hurley playing in an obscure youth cup final and got the club to sign him?

Last edited:

ParisWall

Yes!

After six years, this is only the second time I've got the correct answer!

I was a big fan of Hurley - so was Banger.

:thumbup:

ParisWall

Bill Voisey was the chap who 'discovered' Charlie Hurley.

I agree with Kev that Kitch was the best, but Hurley also had a 'take no prisoner' approach.

He'd last a minute and a half into the game nowadays!

Last edited:

whiskylion

Bill Voisey was the chap who 'discovered' Charley Hurley.

I agree with Kev that Kitch was the best, but Hurley also had a 'take no prisoner' approach.

He'd last a minute and a half into the game nowadays!

Only teasing...

Yes, it was Bill Voisey. Not having been enough for him to play for us pre-first World War, getting loads if medals for his bravery after volunteering, for scoring our first-ever goal in the Football League, managing us during WW2...he then went out and found the player we received our then record fee for.

Supplementary question.

After WW2, Voisey also discovered and signed another player who is mentioned in the story above. Who was it?

Members online