The Covid good news thread N/W

Peckham Lion

most of these things won’t effect me personally but I know people who work in these sectors and this extension on the restrictions has fucked them.
Same here mate, my business is fucked- finished. I've lost thousands and won't be getting thast back. I don't think our prime minister being a liberal at heart has helped us one bit.

Wippa

Same here mate, my business is fucked- finished. I've lost thousands and won't be getting thast back. I don't think our prime minister being a liberal at heart has helped us one bit.
Sorry to hear that mate.

and yeah agree entirely

HappyLion

On balance I think 5th July is the time to say enough. We will be in a good position and its got to the point we need to live with covid.

I would still like masks on public transport to continue for a while yet.

Wippa

On balance I think 5th July is the time to say enough. We will be in a good position and its got to the point we need to live with covid.

I would still like masks on public transport to continue for a while yet.
Masks do nothing mate. I wear them because it’s no biggy but they’re just a comfort blanket for the perpetually scared.

Peckham Lion

The NHS can cope with the rising cases as England eases out of restrictions on July 19, the service's director has said.

Prof Stephen Powis, national medical director of NHS England, said despite the rising number of infections, the NHS was "used to coping with pressures" and was prepared.

"The NHS deals with pressures all the time and there is not doubt that as hospital numbers rise over the next few weeks that we will have to manage that pressure," he told BBC Breakfast.

"A&Es are busy again as life gets back to normal but we're well used to coping with pressures, we do it every year and every winter. So we are prepared and, as you have seen over the last 18 months of the pandemic, the NHS will manage."

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to announce later on Monday that almost all restrictions will be scrapped on July 19 pending a data review in a week's time.

Prof Powis said: "We'll be keeping a very close eye on the data but at the moment, like I say, things are looking very good.

tony_dolby

It seems that the 'JohnsonVariant' as Sir Keir Starmer likes to call it, is now spreading fast in the EU27. I suppose he'll try and blame Boris for that as well!

Now for the good news. The difference that vaccinaiton is making is really clear from this graph.

E5xKAcdWUAIuXQS

tony_dolby

Actual daily admissions are still less than the Warwick model predicted even with the uncertainty in the modelling factored in.

At the same point in the previous wave, we had three times as many admissions, five times as many patients in hospital and sixteen times as many deaths.

E6xFs8tXoAkc7CW

Members online