The Covid good news thread N/W

Peckham Lion

Vaccines appear to have broken link between infections and death, says NHS boss.

Vaccines appear to have "broken" the link between infections, hospital admission and deaths, and hospitals were reporting less sick, younger patients than before, the chief executive of NHS Providers has said.

"If, and it is a big if, if Bolton has gone through its complete cycle and if others areas follow Bolton, the view from the hospital there was that they were able to cope with the level of infections," Chris Hopson told Times Radio.

"What chief executives are consistently telling us is that it is a much younger population that is coming in, they are less clinically vulnerable, they are less in need of critical care and therefore they're seeing what they believe is significantly lower mortality rate which is, you know, borne out by the figures.

"So it's not just the numbers of people who are coming in, it's actually the level of harm and clinical risk."

Peckham Lion

About 8 in 10 adults in the UK had antibodies to coronavirus by 17 May, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Even with Delta variant, the infection/hospitalisation rate is now 20% of that seen pre vaccine.

Peckham Lion

Mad they’re talking about delaying opening up
From what i gather the powers that be want as many vaccinated as possible mainly due to the Delta variant from India. It's kind of understandable as there are still cases arising although it's mainly catching out younger bods and those not yet vaccinated. You could say that that they have learnt from mistakes of opening up to early last time, at least they do seem to be listening to the scientific advice given, who knows!

Wippa

More proof if it wasn't already needed that vaccinations work,

So why the continued restrictions??
Yeah cases are going up but deaths aren’t and hospitalisations aren’t so who gives a fuck 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Peckham Lion

So why the continued restrictions??
Getting bods vaccinated i presume. Figures suggest that it's mainly those still not jabbed that are being infected, onlyupside is that the young aren't being hospitalised. What restrictions are still in place anyway? i haven't checked or noticed to be honest. I've been going about my normal routine for a while now.

Wippa

Getting bods vaccinated i presume. Figures suggest that it's mainly those still not jabbed that are being infected, onlyupside is that the young aren't being hospitalised. What restrictions are still in place anyway? i haven't checked or noticed to be honest. I've been going about my normal routine for a while now.
Travel, nightclubs, restricted numbers in pubs and restaurants (the beer gardens look busy but most of these businesses are treading water waiting for a full reopen) weddings can’t have bands, or live music or dancing even! Music venues. Other stuff as well. And let’s see if away fans are allowed back next season. I doubt it.

most of these things won’t effect me personally but I know people who work in these sectors and this extension on the restrictions has fucked them.

Wippa

Then there’s all the little personal things that affect peoples day to day life. A mate couldn’t attend his daughters last ever sports day. Another mates daughter had her prom cancelled. I mean proms, American shit if you ask me but become a tradition over here now and the kids look forward to it and it’s seen as a farewell party for them.
these are only little things but people have had enough of it. This countries got no backbone anymore. Embarrassed by what we’ve become. Risk averse drips

Wippa

See how many Hungarian fans were in their national stadium to watch their game the other night? We’re playing Scotland tonight at Wembley and only 20k are allowed in !! Our vaccination rollout is fair fair superior to Hungary’s ffs 🤷🏼‍♂️

Wippa

Over 6 million vaccinated out of a population of 9,5 million

42 million in great Britain have had at least one dose- population 66 million.
Ok fair enough I took a guess with the “far far superior” quote 😆

but we’re still on similar numbers, two thirds of the population give or take

Wippa

Mate, we’re playing Scotland tonight, at Wembley, and only 20k fans are allowed. That’s just bollocks ain’t it.