The Covid bad news thread N/W

PurleyLion

My wife’s sister a nurse in Norfolk was vaccinated 2 weeks ago and is now
at home with covid.
I was told it’s 3 weeks before it takes full effect so for the time-being will continue as if I hadn’t had the injection.

Hope she isn’t affected too badly and fully recovers soon.

Last edited:

Wippa

That don't surprise me as i expected that to happen, it makes sense. Our economy should benefit from bods not going abroad this summer.
Not sure, yes people will be spending big in this country but what about all the travel agents, airports like ghost towns, the aviation industry and all associated business etc?

Probably just balances it out?

Peckham Lion

but what about all the travel agents, airports like ghost towns,
From a personal point of view i won't lose any sleep if planes ain't pumping out and dumping fuel on us. We need to cut down on pointless flights/ air travel, now is a good time to change habits.

the aviation industry and all associated business etc?
No different to any other business that is either fucked or has been fucked by an ever changing world. One door closes another one opens. The flights business is a very competitive industry, many companies just can't compete or make money. They would have gone under sooner or later anyway, same for many other niche or needless set ups.

People leading ridiculous and unsustainable lifestyles that are often way beyond their means will get the biggest wake up call after this. Perhaps in the long term society and the environment will be the biggest benefactors from the fall out of this virus.

Wippa

From a personal point of view i won't lose any sleep if planes ain't pumping out and dumping fuel on us. We need to cut down on pointless flights/ air travel, now is a good time to change habits.

No different to any other business that is either fucked or has been fucked by an ever changing world. One door closes another one opens. The flights business is a very competitive industry, many companies just can't compete or make money. They would have gone under sooner or later anyway, same for many other niche or needless set ups.

People leading ridiculous and unsustainable lifestyles that are often way beyond their means will get the biggest wake up call after this. Perhaps in the long term society and the environment will be the biggest benefactors from the fall out of this virus.
Fair points

tony_dolby

A small but nasty outbreak of COVID-like symptoms (high fever in particular) in Greece at the moment. Sufferers are testing negative for coronavirus - hopefully this is just seasonal flu.

tony_dolby

What the govt. mustn't do is pander to the extremists on SAGE who will be happy to keep the lockdown going almost indefinitely until the case numbers are so low as to be almost non-existent. They must abandon their worship of the R number and their devotion to positive test numbers and concentrate solely on working out the level of infection we can tolerate in this country (regional variations factored in of course) without excessive pressure on hospital bed occupancy.

Sounds like Boris is going to follow this approach. Sound fella!

Ilderton Wanderer

I’ve just been reading a report from the journalist Tom Newton Dunn that PHE are now saying that with the efficiency of vaccines against serious illness and death around 90% and around 30% of the younger population expected not to take up the offer of a jab then that leaves a significant percentage of the population unprotected against the virus. They are now reportedly taking the stance that it’s not enough with one unnamed senior figure quoted as saying ‘we cannot vaccinate our way out of this’.

That’s well and truly moving the fucking goalposts as far as I’m concerned. In the autumn we were told to look at this as a six month thing and once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated then we could look forward to a fairly swift easing of restrictions. I’m even prepared to go along with it a bit longer until early summer just to make sure but then when I read scientists and advisors coming out with how actually it’s not about how many have been immunised but about infection rates I start to think what is the fucking point?

Before we know it we will be autumn again and the SAGE zealots be telling us it’s flu/virus season once more and it’s time for more restrictions again. It feels like this is now the scientists world and we’re just living in it.

Bollocks to this.

Wippa

I’ve just been reading a report from the journalist Tom Newton Dunn that PHE are now saying that with the efficiency of vaccines against serious illness and death around 90% and around 30% of the younger population expected not to take up the offer of a jab then that leaves a significant percentage of the population unprotected against the virus. They are now reportedly taking the stance that it’s not enough with one unnamed senior figure quoted as saying ‘we cannot vaccinate our way out of this’.

That’s well and truly moving the fucking goalposts as far as I’m concerned. In the autumn we were told to look at this as a six month thing and once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated then we could look forward to a fairly swift easing of restrictions. I’m even prepared to go along with it a bit longer until early summer just to make sure but then when I read scientists and advisors coming out with how actually it’s not about how many have been immunised but about infection rates I start to think what is the fucking point?

Before we know it we will be autumn again and the SAGE zealots be telling us it’s flu/virus season once more and it’s time for more restrictions again. It feels like this is now the scientists world and we’re just living in it.

Bollocks to this.
Yep