The Anoraks

Ilderton Wanderer

I had to wonder when reading an article last night on the news shopper website about how Charlton fans have taken to social media to bombard their players with messages imploring them to beat us on Saturday. ‘I’d take 4th from bottom finish if we beat them’ ‘just beat that mob and you’ll have legend status’ and ‘next Saturday is the big one’ are just some of the messages being sent.

They seem to be taking it very seriously for a club that is more used to playing the big boys. I mean anybody would think it’s some kind of ‘cup final’.

Moody

I had to wonder when reading an article last night on the news shopper website about how Charlton fans have taken to social media to bombard their players with messages imploring them to beat us on Saturday. ‘I’d take 4th from bottom finish if we beat them’ ‘just beat that mob and you’ll have legend status’ and ‘next Saturday is the big one’ are just some of the messages being sent.

They seem to be taking it very seriously for a club that is more used to playing the big boys. I mean anybody would think it’s some kind of ‘cup final’.
More used to playing the big boys? I know you are joking, but they really do think they are a top club.

Although, no wonder some of their younger fans are getting a bit over excited, if you are a Charlton supporter aged between 15-20, you will only really remember Millwall being a much better club and one that has tonked yours. And we go on cup runs and play in a high division most of the time too.

Last edited:

kevrelles

More used to playing the big boys? I know you are joking, but they really do think they are a top club.

Although, no wonder some of their younger fans are getting a bit over excited, if you are a Charlton supporter aged between 15-20, you will only really remember Millwall being a much better club and one that has tonked yours. And we go on cup runs and play in a high division most of the time too.
And we aint cock sucking train spotting fucking mongs. We are wall the club whose shadow you mongs stand in.2 bob ponces.

Moody

And we aint cock sucking train spotting fucking mongs. We are wall the club whose shadow you mongs stand in.2 bob ponces.
I believe the only thing interesting thing about Charlton Athletic FC to most football fans is the fact they, one of England's most beige clubs, have us, England's most notorious club, as local rivals.

Without us they'd be more nondescript than Reading and Watford!

Like Danny Baker said, if Millwall draw Spurs in the Cup at the same time Charlton draw Arsenal, we all know the fixture people will be talking about.

Wippa

I believe the only thing interesting thing about Charlton Athletic FC to most football fans is the fact they, one of England's most beige clubs, have us, England's most notorious club, as local rivals.

Without us they'd be more nondescript than Reading and Watford!

Like Danny Baker said, if Millwall draw Spurs in the Cup at the same time Charlton draw Arsenal, we all know the fixture people will be talking about.
Spot on.

sw2_wall

Over 7k views , the fuckers must be dribbling into their weetabix , funny when they played at Wembley me and the misues was enroute to central London for some shopping , I've honestly never heard millwall mentioned so much from Tulse hill to charring cross , like palace I don't know how they come from south London

westlion 2

when you look at the anoraks they bare a striking likeness to the ha ha's pretensions of granduer, give it bertie big bollox behind a keyboard more left wing orientated than right,
cant swear on there boards have to say either one is a south london version or the other is a west london version, both buy into the premshit,
while calling out us for our antics with usual spanners and shit yet one says they have slapped one of our lot they become all hero about it.

Dislike the anoraks but not really a hatred more of a pity thing you know when yer see someone who aint the full shilling,
with the ha ha's thats more hatred have no pity for those cunts and wish them the worse all the time

Moody

Over 7k views , the fuckers must be dribbling into their weetabix , funny when they played at Wembley me and the misues was enroute to central London for some shopping , I've honestly never heard millwall mentioned so much from Tulse hill to charring cross , like palace I don't know how they come from south London
They’re not though. Not really.

By the 1970s their support was down to 5,000. Ended up homeless.

Used their time in the Premier League to recruit Manchester United and Liverpool fans from Kent by busing them in on subsidised coaches and on cheap tickets.

It’s why they don’t sell out London derbies, they are meaningless to them. And I guess it is a bit bemusing to a United/Charlton follower from Maidstone that we do.

Moody

Millwall and Charlton Athletic have played each other 74 (72 in the league and 2 in Anglo-Italian Cup) times, with Millwall winning 35 times, compared to 12 wins for Charlton Athletic and 27 draws.

Millwall have only lost 6 league games to Charlton in the last 84 years.

Charlton have only ever won four league games at The Den (old and new) and one in the Anglo-Italian Cup in their history.

Charlton have done the league double over Millwall three times - 1921/22 (their first season in FL), 1934/35 and 1995/96.

Millwall have done the league double over Charlton nine times - 1923/24, 1924/25, 1931/32, 1932/33, 1968/69, 1970/71, 1971/72, 1988/89, 1992/93.

Millwall have not lost in the last ten meetings, winning 5 and drawing 5, scoring 16 goals and conceding 9.

The first meeting was on New Year’s Eve 1921 at The Den in front of 25,000 and ended 1-0 to the visitors. The first meeting at The Valley was on the 14th of January 1922 and ended 2-1 to the Addicks in front of 18,000. Charlton wouldn’t taste success again in this fixture for a further 8 years and 14 meetings. Millwall’s first win came the following season, 2-1 at The Valley on 11th November 1922, having drawn 1-1 at The Den the previous Saturday.

If you accept that a thrashing is a victory by 3 or more goals, Millwall have handed Charlton a thrashing on seven occasions: 4-1 at The Valley in 1926; 3-0 at The Den 1926; 5-0 at The Den in 1928; 6-0 at The Den in 1931; 4-1 at The Valley in 1933; 3-0 at Selhurst Park in 1988; and 4-0 at The Den in 2010.

Charlton have never beaten Millwall by more than two clear goals.

The highest scoring match was on 19th December 2009 in League One, when the Lions grabbed a stoppage time equaliser to make it 4-4 at The Valley.

I haven't got time (really) to check every derby in English football, but it is said that Millwall v Charlton Athletic is the most one-sided local derby going. What I can do is quickly compare it to over local derbies known for being a bit onesided:

Everton have won 29% of their fixtures with Liverpool.
Notts County have won 31% of their fixtures with Nottingham Forest.
Port Vale have won 32% of their fixtures with Stoke City.
Fulham have won 13% of their fixtures with Chelsea.

Charlton have won 16% of their fixtures with Millwall. 15% if you discount the Anglo-Italian Cup, which was essentially a reserve match.

Therefore, Fulham save Charlton some indignity, but only just when you compare it to those other records!

As an aside, Millwall's other local derby records as thus:
vs. Crystal Palace P97 W38 D30 L29
vs. West Ham United P60 W22 D19 L19

Last edited:

Moody

1573142926496.png
Challenge... accepted!

Bowyer has made the classic mistake here of assuming it’s worse hearing 50,000 calling you a wanker than having some Charlied up scaffolder calling you a cunt right to your face, their spittle hitting you.

It’s like comedians... they can handle being booed by a whole arena, but it hurts them hard being called shit in the back room of a pub.

Last edited:

Moody

1573143077043.png

Yes, I can imagine. Probably one of the most despised footballers of his era. Bizarre how the Charltons fans, who spend most of their lives riding white horses over the morale high ground wearing white cassocks, lord him!