Team v Cardiff

silverlion

Finally an end to pointless friendlies, Nations Cup nonsense which fans the flames of big elite status egos and back to the real thing where three points, wearing the shirt and proper team play is all that matters. We face a tough test against NH and his Bluebirds who can blow hot and cold. Let’s hope for a cold day on Saturday. In terms of tactics and all round understanding of the task ahead there is little doubt that GR is on another page from our former boss. He has spent a lifetime of motivating players to raise their game and he will not be short of urgency from the dugout at the Den. He gave us some great moments as a player and a manager but can he do it again as the opposition boss at Zampa Road?. He will know many of the players but when they step over the white line there will be no love lost. A whole two weeks away from the beautiful game they will be full of energy with a strong will to win. None more so than the big Pole who will want another clean sheet and I expect him to start. Mahlon will have spent the break sharpening up his crossing skills and I expect him to be on the right of defence. The first big question is whether we play two or three CB’s. My guess is that it will be three and Hutch and Cooper are a given. Will the third be Murray or Pearce? A tough call. Molly will slot in on the left.
Woods is a given but will he be partnered by Leonard, Williams or Billy Mitchell. The latter felt a tightness in his calf after 45 minutes in the midweek U23 game so he won’t be risked as a starter. Leonard adds more energy to the middle than Williams so I expect him to start. Jed is a given on the right up front and Bennett is almost the same on the left. The big question is whether we start TP to lead the attack. He only got five minutes for the Republic last night and there were no reports of an injury. He will be desperate to start but whether he has enough in the tank for 90 minutes is a good question. Smith, shot shy Tom or our international Icelandic star Bod could step in when he runs out of puff.

My thoughts are,

Bart
Romeo Hutch Murray Cooper Molly
Woods Leonard
Jed TP Bennett

Subs Frank Pearce Muller Ben Mahoney Mitchell Williams Smith Bradshaw

Millwall-84

Yeah no point rushing Troy back as he will only get injured again. I would start Smith for this game as Cardiff have defenders that like to play head tennis, bit like ours really. This is a game where we need a nippy little striker to get in and behind there defence hole, bit like Phillip Scholfield does.

Hopefully us fans can get back ASAP, its driving me mad not being able to go.

Sorry Harris, no round of applause for you on your return from our fans.

midway lion

I'm pretty sure he won't start TP, so the real question is
who plays upfront ? He seems to have tried every possible
combinations so it's anyone's guess.

robbo555

I don't think Parrott will start. I would like him to because he looks like a class act and is clever on the ball and very different to any other option we have as striker. If he doesn't then I wouldn't play Smith. Their centre-back, Morrison, heads everything that moves and is as strong as Smith.

It's a shame it will be the first game Harris is back and there will be no crowd. I am certain he would have got an incredible reception as he should. An undeniable Millwall legend.

I think the game will be a dog with fleas and I can't see us winning or scoring. It will be 0-0 or 1-0 to Cardiff. If the fans were allowed in we'd probably beat them 2-0. This is exactly the sort of game where we'd make a big difference.

33lion

Bart
Romeo Hutch Cooper Malone

Woods Thompson Williams

Jed Bradshaw Bennett.

no point playing 5 at the back or 4-4-2 against Neil Harris if we want to actually win this one.

Last edited:

33lion

Blimey 33, that selection will get you some stick. Lol
😂 I don’t normally get too much for my team selections to be fair. This time I can’t see 4-4-2 working as Harris will know how to play against that I feel. And if we play the 5 at the back we will be resigning ourselves to a point at best.
I picked Williams as I think Leonard was poor in our last game.

silverlion

Clearly Billy Mitchell won’t make the bench as he is crocked until 2021 so Bod will take his place. There are strong feelings on here about playing four at the back so let’s wait a while and see what NAD predict.

silverlion

This is NAD’s prediction.
Possible Millwall starting XI: Bialkowski; Romeo, Hutchinson, Pearce, Cooper, Malone; Leonard, Woods; J Wallace, Smith, Bennett.

So, they think five at the back. They often are fairly close to the mark but will they get it right tomorrow?