Stadium Redevelopment!

Terry_Hurlock

10000 at £30 odd = £300k
13000 @ £15 = £195k + what £5k in additional sales?
Big drop in income for any club....

More profitable to charge full wack to the faithful and fill the ground with freebies (like Charlton do)...

mfcjohn

I just don't get It.

This Is basic logic but even so the principle Is there and It wouldn't need much tweaking;

If you charge half the price you'll get twice as many people.
Twice as many people means twice as much money spent on food and drink.
The more people there are the better the atmosphere would be.
The better the atmosphere, the better the team will do.
The better the team do the more fans come.
The more fans come the more money the club will make.
Logic yes, but have you tasted the food at Millwall?

Stompie

Sorry mate, but that just isn't so...

Half the Price, gates go up 10-30%, not 100%.

I read some quite in depth report on it a few years back and they used Bradford as main example, but also a few other clubs tried it and none got anywhere near a doubling of crowds, or sales...
Sorry mate, but that just isn't so...

Half the Price, gates go up 10-30%, not 100%.

I read some quite in depth report on it a few years back and they used Bradford as main example, but also a few other clubs tried it and none got anywhere near a doubling of crowds, or sales...
I know It Isn't excat, that's why I said It was basic logic. But I do think the principle Is there and with a few tweaks It could be a proper earner. Either way you can't deny that 32 notes for a game Is a joke, especially as It's a week night and It can be viewed on telly. You need to make It worthwhile for the fans to come, you can't rely on blind loyalty every week.

Also Bradford are tight, Yorkshire sex cases. They wouldn't spend their money and their two busy abusing kids.

Last edited:

Moody

10000 at £30 odd = £300k
13000 @ £15 = £195k + what £5k in additional sales?
Big drop in income for any club....

More profitable to charge full wack to the faithful and fill the ground with freebies (like Charlton do)...
Yes, this is the approach Millwall have taken.

Charlton have the ability to attract a lot of floating football fans from around NE Kent and so they benefit from have cheap season tickets and match day prices to an extent. You get a lot of armchair Arsenal, Spurs and Man United etc fans at The Valley.

However, our match day income is actually higher than theirs, because we charge our hardcore support more in season tickets and match days prices. This makes sense, because even if we dropped our prices or gave tickets away free like Charlton (who give literally thousands away) then it is still unlikely that many floating football fans would take them up. Where are Mr and Mrs Beige going to take their kids - plucky and friendly Charlton Athletic or nasty, horrible Millwall.

However, this does not excuse the club for charging the top category prices for EVERY single Sky match we have had this season, especially when two of them were on a Sunday and then the following Wednesday in the month after Christmas. That's pretty poor. They should have used their imagination a bit, even just as a thank you to fans, ie £15 to sit anywhere.

Stompie

Logic yes, but have you tasted the food at Millwall?
Don't get me started on that. That's another area we are loosing money In because the club don't want the hassle and they don't give a shit.

If we charged a decent price for decent food and drink, familys would be more encouraged to spend money.

I am certain, that I could triple the sales of the food and soft drink If I had the run of the place. I would employ half competent people for a start.

Moody

It would be interesting to see what would happen if for only the third time in the club's history, the others being the late 1930s and then the late 1980s, if Millwall FC actually properly invested in a decent team.

Back in the 1930s we became one of the top ten best supported clubs in England, before that Mr Hitler put a stop on it, with gates of 30-45,000 for Third and Second tier football, thanks to having England and Ireland national players in a very good side. In the 1980s our crowds tripled in just 2 years, in an era crowds everywhere were shrinking, from 5,000 to 15,000 on average, at a time when the top London sides in Arsenal and Spurs averaged 29,000 and 24,000 respectively.

There is a much bigger Millwall fan base out there than many people realise, including our own fans. Taking 50,000 to a Football League Trophy Final and League One Play-off Final against extremely unfashionable opposition (Wigan and Scunthorpe) is no mean feat for a club with as little league success and as bad a rep as us. To take over 40,000 again the very next season is even more impressive, again, against unfashionable opposition.

Like I say, it would be interesting see how many Millwall fans and people of Southwark and Lewisham would come up to watch a top 15 Premier League club. We have never seen what sustained success would mean for Millwall, as we have never had it.

bonzodogdoodahman

Without the docks/dockers there's nothing makes us any different in self-identity than any other club.
I moved into Lewisham in 1978, to me the Wall is a south east London club, Lewisham specifically.
I feel the regen plans will be positive for the club whose whole image/identity would have to change because of it.
As a supporter I'd welcome and embrace that change, indeed be part of it too.

mfcjohn

Don't get me started on that. That's another area we are loosing money In because the club don't want the hassle and they don't give a shit.

If we charged a decent price for decent food and drink, familys would be more encouraged to spend money.

I am certain, that I could triple the sales of the food and soft drink If I had the run of the place. I would employ half competent people for a start.
Something as simple as renting out a space in each stand to one of the pie and mash shops would bring in extra.

Getting fans early to the ground and through the turnstiles is another, longer they are in the stadium, the more likely they will spend money.

kevrelles

Something as simple as renting out a space in each stand to one of the pie and mash shops would bring in extra.

Getting fans early to the ground and through the turnstiles is another, longer they are in the stadium, the more likely they will spend money.
Strippers in the concourse

bramcoteboy62

Never buy anything from the concourse as it’s all overpriced crap but I agree the staff look like ducking idiots. Real idiots. Fuvking robots will have your jobs soon so show you’ve got some shit in your shoes and make an effort to stop that happening you cunts. I wonder if the catering is all contracted out and wall get a fixed fee, hence the club don’t give a fuck. No idea.

Moody

Will be interesting how away fans will be handled, as the walkway will be replaced and there will also be the new tube station on Surrey Canal Road.

The best way to approach that is make the concourses decent and hold them back until the majority of home fans have cleared.

hardleyse16

The biggest trouble with the crowds or lack of them at Millwall is the local population....most I'm afraid to say are ethnic and most have no interest in football...... Look at the number of ethnic fans in the crowd last night very very low ...most of our fans are no longer "locals" but have moved away to pastures green.....unless we can attract the "locals" I can't see us progressing and the re development is great but are the people moving in ( those who can affrd)millwall fans ?..... It's a culture thing with the locals ...most not brought up with football roots ..don't know the answer to be honest
Fried chicken?

Moody

Without the docks/dockers there's nothing makes us any different in self-identity than any other club.
Whilst the Dockers certainly made us a very unique club, I would argue that our very location makes us unique anyway.

London is the only proper big city in the UK. That is to say a city on the same level as New York, Paris and Berlin. In my opinion above those last two. But you get my drift. And Millwall are an inner London football club & imo have that feel. We are very different to the likes of Charlton, Palace and Brentford, who feel like any other southern club.

I think the regen will makes us feel even more of an inner London club. To borrow horrible modern phrases... we will be very much ‘on grid’ and in a ‘vibrant location’.

Stompie

Will be interesting how away fans will be handled, as the walkway will be replaced and there will also be the new tube station on Surrey Canal Road.

The best way to approach that is make the concourses decent and hold them back until the majority of home fans have cleared.
Moody, there Is one fatal flaw with your plan.

It would mean the old bill couldn't take the piss out of us and hold us back at South Bermondsey for half hour after a game.

Moody

Moody, there Is one fatal flaw with your plan.

It would mean the old bill couldn't take the piss out of us and hold us back at South Bermondsey for half hour after a game.
I walk to Bermondsey tube now and have a pint in the Blue on way rather than put up with that station - massive pain in the arse that place.

Millwalljohn

I assume the design has something to do with Lions/ Colosseum.... If so, nice little touch.

The thing is to have a stadium of this calibre, JB will have to start digging a lot deeper as we'd need to be in the Premier league to warrant something of such grandeur, nothing worse than playing to an almost empty stadium.

Also, we'd be in contention to host International sporting events too and would Millwall own the land?