Stadium Redevelopment!

Moody

Reading some of the reaction to this part...

'The proposals under development, which are being prepared by AFL Architects whom we appointed last year, include a strategy for incremental, phased expansion of the existing stadium, up to a total maximum capacity of 34,000 seats'

.... on social media by rival fans is quite funny.

No where does it say we are knocking down the current stadium and replacing it with a 34,000 capacity one. It uses words like strategy, incremental, phased and existing. Therefore, they can untwist their knickers and rest assured that Millwall aren‘t about to do a Darlington!

It just says that we now have the opportunity to increase the stadium, should we ever need to, to increase it to 34,000. Just ask the owners of Crystal Palace how important that is - as they have had a nightmare with Selhurst Park.

Anyway, it’s just another example of the poor comprehension skills of most adults in this country. The other day my other half was one of many who rang up the LEA in a blind panic over our youngest ones school place in September, thinking they had not received our application. I pointed out when I got home that the text she has received had included two important words in it - ‘if you have not yet applied for a school place for your child please follow this link...’ IF and YET! Apparently their phone boards had been jammed with parents unable to read properly!

Moody

It will be interesting to hear the club's exact plans. If this capacity increase is in stages, you would imagine unless we achieved promotion to the PL, the only change to the current stadium would be to the main stand, in order to put in all the media stuff we need and expand on our corporate facilities to take advantage of our excellent location.

Or, does it all need to be done in one go - to help change the exterior and save on build costs and waste? In that case, since we are averaging 14,000 odd, will they slash prices and also let the likes of Leeds have more than 2,200 fans at games. The Leeds United fixture this season was a 16,500 'sell-out', when the club could have sold over 20,000 tickets, same with Everton, Leicester City, Charlton and to a lesser extent QPR. And of course Villa and Fulham in last few seasons.

They need to get this right! The design of the stadium was a complete balls-up in 1993!

Moody

Like how the Mail has gone for a sneering 'Roman Colosseum' comment, when in the club press release it very deliberately refers to the outside being based on the Millwall arches from our original home...

1581677683395.png
1581677713118.png

tobydog

Like how the Mail has gone for a sneering 'Roman Colosseum' comment, when in the club press release it very deliberately refers to the outside being based on the Millwall arches from our original home...

View attachment 4894
View attachment 4895
Well Ive got to hold my hands up here Moods, In an earlier thread with the artists impression I did post I thought it looked like a mini collesum/ extension of the 500 Arches. :)

Last edited:

Moody

Well Ive got to hold my hands up here Moods, In an earlier thread with the artists impression I did post I thought looked like a mini collesum/ extension of the 500 Arches. :)
Yes, but that was just your first impression... The Mail must have received the club press release explaining the arches look... yet, ignored it.

tobydog

Yes, but that was just your first impression... The Mail must have received the club press release explaining the arches look... yet, ignored it.
Perhaps used in relationship to the Mighty Lions? :) (which I also mentioned )

Phlion54

The biggest trouble with the crowds or lack of them at Millwall is the local population....most I'm afraid to say are ethnic and most have no interest in football...... Look at the number of ethnic fans in the crowd last night very very low ...most of our fans are no longer "locals" but have moved away to pastures green.....unless we can attract the "locals" I can't see us progressing and the re development is great but are the people moving in ( those who can affrd)millwall fans ?..... It's a culture thing with the locals ...most not brought up with football roots ..don't know the answer to be honest

Moody

The biggest trouble with the crowds or lack of them at Millwall is the local population....most I'm afraid to say are ethnic and most have no interest in football...... Look at the number of ethnic fans in the crowd last night very very low ...most of our fans are no longer "locals" but have moved away to pastures green.....unless we can attract the "locals" I can't see us progressing and the re development is great but are the people moving in ( those who can affrd)millwall fans ?..... It's a culture thing with the locals ...most not brought up with football roots ..don't know the answer to be honest
It depends how you define 'local'. In the modern 21st century sense, most fans still are local. The majority of season ticket holders have SE London postcodes and the majority of the 40,000 plus that went to Wembley live within Greater London and are within 10 miles of the ground - the improvement in public transport with the regen can only help with getting more to games.

And when people raise this, you have to then ask why then are our crowds the best they have been since the docks closed? We will ended averaging around 14,000 this season, and over 15,000 for the Saturday fixtures.

Peckham Lion

A lot of our older fanbase have Irish or Scottish parentage, at least on one side. Call them the sons of immigrants if you like. In five -ten years from now we'll have football loving kids, teenagers from Polish, east europen parentage that have settled in south London, they'll be english speaking and workng class and quite possibly Millwall. As for saying ethnics don't have an interest if football, they may well do but not Millwall and it's no surprise when you and others come out with shiity racist comments and post links to far right shit ( although that cunt isn't Millwall) on an open board, you can't have it both ways!

Last edited:

leFerne

It depends how you define 'local'. In the modern 21st century sense, most fans still are local. The majority of season ticket holders have SE London postcodes and the majority of the 40,000 plus that went to Wembley live within Greater London and are within 10 miles of the ground - the improvement in public transport with the regen can only help with getting more to games.

And when people raise this, you have to then ask why then are our crowds the best they have been since the docks closed? We will ended averaging around 14,000 this season, and over 15,000 for the Saturday fixtures.
Are you sure about the majority of season ticket holders living in SE London? I recall a few years back someone posting inside information suggesting circa 50 % of season ticket holders were sent out to Kent postcodes. If this is true then that figure will in probability only rise higher.

bramcoteboy62

A lot of our older fanbase have Irish or Scottish parentage, at least on one side. Call them the sons of immigrants if you like. In five -ten years from now we'll have football loving kids, teenagers from Polish, east europen parentage that have settled in south London, they'll be english speaking and workng class and quite possibly Millwall. As for saying ethnics don't have an interest if football, they may well do but not Millwall and it's no surprise when you and others come out with shiity racist comments and post links to far right shit ( although that cunt isn't Millwall) on an open board, you can't have it both ways!
Spot on. It’s funny how we just assume someone’s not white so doesn’t like football. Most fucking do, it’s the biggest sport in the world. However some colour thinking of coming down the den could spend five minutes on here and will think ‘fuck no’ and send their money to some other cunt club. We can’t have it both ways. Either accept change and try and attract these new cunts to the den or accept the club will die. I’m not going to be at games in 50 years time, I fucking hope someone will take my place though be they white, yellow, pink, a gay, a lezza, a woman you name it

Phlion54

not a racist post in anyway shape or form...it's a fact that the area is a more ethnic population now and they is a low proportion of they background in our crowd......it's up to the club to try and put the message out to try and get more to at least give it a go.....if this is racist in your eyes so be it

Stompie

Yes, It seems like they want the most possible amount money from the least possible amount of fans!
I just don't get It.

This Is basic logic but even so the principle Is there and It wouldn't need much tweaking;

If you charge half the price you'll get twice as many people.
Twice as many people means twice as much money spent on food and drink.
The more people there are the better the atmosphere would be.
The better the atmosphere, the better the team will do.
The better the team do the more fans come.
The more fans come the more money the club will make.

Moody

Are you sure about the majority of season ticket holders living in SE London? I recall a few years back someone posting inside information suggesting circa 50 % of season ticket holders were sent out to Kent postcodes. If this is true then that figure will in probability only rise higher.
According to the club database after one of the recent Wembley visits, the vast majority on it have a Greater London address (Bexleyheath, Bromley), but also, more than half of actual season ticket holders had a SE London postcode, from places like Bermondsey, New Cross, Rotherhithe, Lewisham, Catford, Nunhead, Brockley, Eltham, Erith and Welling featurely highly - all of which have SE postcodes. Which makes sense, as all those places have large Millwall representation still, even if not all go.

Moody

In five -ten years from now we'll have football loving kids, teenagers from Polish, east europen parentage that have settled in south London, they'll be english speaking and workng class and quite possibly Millwall.
Absolutely spot on. They will be locals. Just like all our Irish, Scottish, Italian and Jewish forefathers became 'south London'.

Terry_Hurlock

I just don't get It.

This Is basic logic but even so the principle Is there and It wouldn't need much tweaking;

If you charge half the price you'll get twice as many people.
Twice as many people means twice as much money spent on food and drink.
The more people there are the better the atmosphere would be.
The better the atmosphere, the better the team will do.
The better the team do the more fans come.
The more fans come the more money the club will make.
Sorry mate, but that just isn't so...

Half the Price, gates go up 10-30%, not 100%.

I read some quite in depth report on it a few years back and they used Bradford as main example, but also a few other clubs tried it and none got anywhere near a doubling of crowds, or sales...