Stadium Redevelopment!

marka

I can see the reasons for the club to redevelop the land around Millwall and the stadium.
The way forward is PL status and championship as if you get relegated you receive parachute payments of £60mil to help get you back to the PL.
There is no money in L1 and L2 and there will be more clubs who will go out of business.
Once the hotel and residential flats are built it will make the area attractive for the commute into the city with having a team on your door step.

Peckham Lion

To be fair, our kid prices are pretty good and also I doubt it would make much of an impact for the midweek / sky games I’m talking about.

I am only a member this season, as have a young family and so other commitments. But, I try to go as often as possible. It is this type of fan the club needs to do more to attract to games like last night - cold Wednesday night on Sky.

They already get more than enough
money from Sky for televising it to make these games say £15 adult and £10 16-21 year olds to sit anywhere.

Like I said before, our Saturday gates have been very good, nearly 15,000 and already 3 home area sell-outs. It’s these games on Sky on a Sunday/Friday/Wednesday night that are the issue - the club have charged top prices for each one. Resulting in only 52 more Millwall fans going last night compared to Wigan at home on a Tuesday night last season when we were awful.
I was surprised by our poor turnout last night, a London derby with the stands sparsely filled don't help us on the pitch.

Peckham Lion

My great granddad said the same when we moved to New Cross in 1910.
To be fair, things are much different in London now. Our support base is situated much further afield than previous generations were and London was affordable and very much a working class manor. We have seen the rapid change of demograph in recent years, most, if not all of us of a certain age were born locally and had a connection with the club either through proximity, friends or family. Just musing here Moody, but seeing the amount of Hipster types and european football tourists that attend our games makes me feel like a part of us is dying, the regen, in my opinion will speed that up.

Peckham Lion

There is no money in L1 and L2 and there will be more clubs who will go out of business.
There's not much money in the premier for owners/ shareholders because of wages, agent fee's and running costs. I believe the premier league is one fucking huge vehicle for large scale money laundering.

dartlion

Moody said ".....Compare this to our friends down the road at The Valley, who have allowed season ticket holders to bring a mate for FREE ...."

"Friends????" Man up Moody, you are sounding like one of them.....

Moody

To be fair, things are much different in London now. Our support base is situated much further afield than previous generations were and London was affordable and very much a working class manor. We have seen the rapid change of demograph in recent years, most, if not all of us of a certain age were born locally and had a connection with the club either through proximity, friends or family. Just musing here Moody, but seeing the amount of Hipster types and european football tourists that attend our games makes me feel like a part of us is dying, the regen, in my opinion will speed that up.
The only hipster I’ve ever seen down Millwall is my cousin and to be fair to him, he is 4th generation Wall and still lives locally (Brockley)... However, he’s in his 20s and that’s just how some of them look these days!

On a serious note, I can’t see us ever being successful enough to become another Chelsea. The most I could ever see us becoming like is West Ham... a mix of locals (and I count inner London and Greater London in that - so for us, Bromley and Bexleyheath), 4th and 5th generation fans from the likes of Kent, Essex, Surrey and Sussex and a few new football fan types and tourists wanting to boost their image by slumming or soaking up an ‘old school’ atmosphere.

This really started when the docks closed. They were always the true heart beat of the club. But you can’t turn back time. Most of still retain those values that our forefathers passed down though.

Moody

Moody said ".....Compare this to our friends down the road at The Valley, who have allowed season ticket holders to bring a mate for FREE ...."

"Friends????" Man up Moody, you are sounding like one of them.....
Well, they certainly aren’t hated rivals and they often gift us points...

Peckham Lion

The only hipster I’ve ever seen down Millwall is my cousin
There's a few knocking about in the west upper and i see a few outside on matchdays, thay harmless enough and put money our way!
and a few new football fan types and tourists wanting to boost their image by slumming or soaking up an ‘old school’ atmosphere.
Hmmn, that old school atmosphere is being subdued and criminalised by the authorities. The Qpr and Fulham home games didn't feel like a derby at all, it was dull and boring and full of daytripping strings trying to film everything in sight.

Last edited:

Moody

There's a few knocking about in the west upper and i see a few outside on matchdays, thay harmless enough and put money our way!

Hmmn, that old school atmosphere is being subdued and criminalised by the authorities. The Qpr and Fulham home games didn't feel like a derby at all, it was dull and boring and full of daytripping strings trying to film enything in sight.
Must admit, I wouldn’t risk giving the oppo abuse down there these days...

Peckham Lion

Must admit, I wouldn’t risk giving the oppo abuse down there these days...
I think that's part of the reason why we are turning into just another club. Bods just siiting their apathetic and no passion. Football was a place to let off a bit of steam, show some passion for your club, albeit with a few swearwords. Last night i noticed a sign as i headed up the west upper stairs, it stated - You must remain seated at all times- or words to that affect. so what's next, nicking bods for jumping up whilst celebrating a goal? If that sort of bollox continues they wiil kill the game as we know it and alienate, lose many long suffering supporters.

Last edited:

Moody

I think that's part of the reason why we are turning into just another club. Bods just siiting their apathetic and no passion. Football was a place to let off a bit of steam, show some passion for your club, albeit with a few swearwords. Last night i noticed a sign as i headed up the west upper stairs, it stated - You must remain seated at all times- or word to that affect. so what's next, nicking bods for jumping up whilst celebrating a goal? If that sort of bollox continues they wiil kill the game as we know it and alienate, lose many long suffering supporters.
My Brighton supporting mate came Sunday, he said it was much more like how he remembered football crowds in the 1980s.

Yes, it has cooled off down there compared to the 1970s and 1980s, but that’s like comparing apples and oranges. Compare it instead to other clubs. I watched that Charlton v Doncaster play-off game that an anorak I know keeps banging on about as being this amazing atmosphere - it was tame as anything; a drum and one genetic chant and long periods of quiet when Rovers were ripping them a new one.

Now, if we made the play-offs...