Stadium Redevelopment!

leFerne

It looks good with new tiers added to the stadium. At least we'll have plenty of choices where to sit if we don't get into the Premier League!

BT-Steve

We don't need a new ground as its still relatively new. Fill in the corners and re-clad it, and redesign the outside to modernise with a new style closable roof. That way we could hold indoor large events. We are near the centre of London and could rival the O2 and why not? But don't think a 34000 for football would be like our team playing in a morgue every week, with a huge amount of empty seats. Its bad enough not using the lower tier, and will the police have it? I think the roof is an important issue as we would never get an event against Arsenal, Tottenham, Wembley because of there size and stature. But with a closable roof that would give us an advantage for events that can be effected by weather, and only the O2 would be a competitor.

Last edited:

tobydog

We don't need a new ground as its still relatively new. Fill in the corners and re-clad it, and redesign the outside to modernise with a new style closable roof. That way we could hold indoor large events. We are near the centre of London and could rival the O2 and why not? But don't think a 34000 for football would be like our team playing in a morgue every week, with a huge amount of empty seats. Its bad enough not using the lower tier, and will the police have it? I think the roof is an important issue as we would never get an event against Arsenal, Tottenham, Wembley because of there size and stature. But with a closable roof that would give us an advantage for events that can be effected by weather, and only the O2 would be a competitor.
I think the closable roof is a very sound financial idea, with eg rock/pop etc concerts as you say to compete with the O2

Moody

But don't think a 34000 for football would be like our team playing in a morgue every week, with a huge amount of empty seats.
To be fair, it says this...

'The proposals under development, which are being prepared by AFL Architects whom we appointed last year, include a strategy for incremental, phased expansion of the existing stadium, up to a total maximum capacity of 34,000 seats'

The club were worried that without control over the land we currently lease, that we would be hemmed in by the regeneration, meaning we would not be able to expand the stadium to meet all the requirements of the PL for things like media facilities.

Therefore, I read that as that we now have the opportunity to expand the stadium, should we ever need to. Not that we are expanding the stadium. And that would only occur should we become established in the PL and again, wouldn't be a jump to 34,000 from 20,000, but phased.

Forget about how it impacts now, I think this actually means that we are one of the most ripe football clubs in the country for a take-over (by Huski or any other billionaires that fancy a new toy)... we will soon be sitting in the heart of a regenerated part of central London and with the opportunity for expansion confirmed. You only have to look at the issues Crystal Palace are having in turning their current PL status into a proper legacy, to see that we now offer a more viable investment opportunity as a football club than many clubs.

Unfortunately when do we ever make any money on players Kev. We did years ago, but I'm struggling for major profits on many players in years now.
George savile springs to mind , bought for less than a million and sold for 8.5 (I think) admittedly this is definitely the exception

Moody

Talking of stadium redevelopments etc., when are the club going to put some more imagination into getting more fans going to games.

To be fair, our Saturday attendances have been very good this season, averaging nearly 15,000, with three home sell-outs (QPR, Leeds and Charlton).

But, we have really started to suffer with all these midweek or Sunday games on Sky. Last night we only attracted 52 more Millwall fans to a London derby v high flying Fulham than we did for our lowest home fan turn of last season - 10,899 v Wigan on a Tuesday night. And in all our games on Sky this season, including the midweek ones, the club have decided to charge Category A prices.

Compare this to our friends down the road at The Valley, who have allowed season ticket holders to bring a mate for FREE and this Saturday have sold tickets for just a £5 - on top of their already very cheap ticket prices.

Now, I am not saying we go down that route... Charlton have the ability to attract far more non-Charlton fans to games than we do non-Millwall fans to ours. It has always been the way. In fact it is the big difference bewteen the clubs, as I would argue our hardcore support is actually more robust than theirs, but they can rely on more floating fans.

However, surely the club could explore ideas such as making mid-week games a bit more affordable. I went both Sunday and last night and it cost me top price both times, when I could have watched it at home for a £10 each time.

Anyway, I just thought I would have this moan on this thread, as the club think about expansion etc and no doubt trying to attract new fans!

Stompie

Talking of stadium redevelopments etc., when are the club going to put some more imagination into getting more fans going to games.

To be fair, our Saturday attendances have been very good this season, averaging nearly 15,000, with three home sell-outs (QPR, Leeds and Charlton).

But, we have really started to suffer with all these midweek or Sunday games on Sky. Last night we only attracted 52 more Millwall fans to a London derby v high flying Fulham than we did for our lowest home fan turn of last season - 10,899 v Wigan on a Tuesday night. And in all our games on Sky this season, including the midweek ones, the club have decided to charge Category A prices.

Compare this to our friends down the road at The Valley, who have allowed season ticket holders to bring a mate for FREE and this Saturday have sold tickets for just a £5 - on top of their already very cheap ticket prices.

Now, I am not saying we go down that route... Charlton have the ability to attract far more non-Charlton fans to games than we do non-Millwall fans to ours. It has always been the way. In fact it is the big difference bewteen the clubs, as I would argue our hardcore support is actually more robust than theirs, but they can rely on more floating fans.

However, surely the club could explore ideas such as making mid-week games a bit more affordable. I went both Sunday and last night and it cost me top price both times, when I could have watched it at home for a £10 each time.

Anyway, I just thought I would have this moan on this thread, as the club think about expansion etc and no doubt trying to attract new fans!
32 pound It was for an adult ticket In the upper stands last night. Fucking joke.

No wonder It was half full. I'll never understand the club and the way they go about things. It's almost like they don't want to make money.

Millwall tel

Kids for a quid been saying it years!

tobydog

32 pound It was for an adult ticket In the upper stands last night. Fucking joke.

No wonder It was half full. I'll never understand the club and the way they go about things. It's almost like they don't want to make money.
Yes, It seems like they want the most possible amount money from the least possible amount of fans!

marka

Once the ground is redeveloped then the prices will only go one way that’s up.
Obviously the plan is to get into the premier league say within 5 seasons.
However the owner JB needs to invest in players who could get us their because at the moment we do not have the quality needed for the PL
If the club is going to spend on redevelopment then let’s hope they will do the same on players.

Moody

Kids for a quid been saying it years!
To be fair, our kid prices are pretty good and also I doubt it would make much of an impact for the midweek / sky games I’m talking about.

I am only a member this season, as have a young family and so other commitments. But, I try to go as often as possible. It is this type of fan the club needs to do more to attract to games like last night - cold Wednesday night on Sky.

They already get more than enough
money from Sky for televising it to make these games say £15 adult and £10 16-21 year olds to sit anywhere.

Like I said before, our Saturday gates have been very good, nearly 15,000 and already 3 home area sell-outs. It’s these games on Sky on a Sunday/Friday/Wednesday night that are the issue - the club have charged top prices for each one. Resulting in only 52 more Millwall fans going last night compared to Wigan at home on a Tuesday night last season when we were awful.