Sorry. But the Manager Has To Go....

whiskylion

No one could possibly argue that Rowett hasn’t done very shrewd business in the transfer market in the time he’s been here. Woods is one of the best midfielders in the division for starters.
Parrott was wanted by just about everyone, touted as the next Kane. We got him. Bennett, whilst having questionable injury problems, is a handful. Zohore will in my opinion be a good signing once he gets going.

Bar that this is still a Harris squad, having to play the likes of Bod, Williams, Leonard at right back, Skalak on the bench... it’s not what any championship manager wants. Give him and the club time to really mould this squad in his style.

Me personally I can see where he is trying to take us, but he does need to be backed in the transfer market to bring more players of Ryan Woods’ quality to the club, in all positions.

January could be really crucial... a good window I feel could be the difference between how our season pans out. With the fixture congestion being very intense and us already having a small squad I think we definitely will be in for a few reinforcements regardless. Could we dig out a Ben Marshall type signing who goes on to be a pivotal player?
Actually, this is a thread about Harris not being wanted by Cardiff supporters.

I was just teasing to try and lighten things as people are feeling so negative after another exasperating and at times excruciatingly boring home performance.

For the record, 33, I'm behind the the Millwall manager, but still perplexed as to why Williams gets anywhere near the team.

I agree that Iike the signings he has made so far. None are in the Elliott, Bod, Bradshaw, Leonard, Skalak mould, thankfully.

But to have only 40% possession against a Neil Harris team is something that seriously needs addressing.

The Humble One

Post See this by fred keenor » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm

"The job is just to big for him.

The spotlight in S Wales is far higher than the lowly backwaters of Cold Blow Lane.

Time to move him on."

cheek i remember going to cardiff when their was under 4,000 attendance
Another deluded lot who think they are big time
Well in a way there is truth in this cos there is naff all in South Wales and Cardiff other than Rugby and the scenery of the Mumbles. So there is more of a local spotlight. But he can stick the lowly bit - we've all been there look you.

As above, in Rowett we trust. Shame as without this fucking pandemic then the recruitment would have been different.
Would it? I don’t think so!

Before this season started, we were “told” that we had £2 million available to buy a striker. Suddenly we’re linked with Moore, who ultimately chose to go to Cardiff instead of us.

How do we really know we were linked to him in the first place? Or that we had £2 million to spend? If we did have that money, why didn’t Rowett use it on another striker when Moore turned us down? He kept saying he wanted another striker (if possible), so why didn’t he look at forwards in leagues 1 or 2?

For £2 million Rowett could have definitely got one (possibly two) half decent strikers from either of those leagues. I’m not saying that they would have turned out to be better than Smith, Bod and Bradshaw (though with the last two that wouldn‘t be too hard to do), as playing in the Championship is a major step up from league 1, and an even bigger step up from league 2, but he may have struck lucky. Rowett did bring in Woods and Bennett, so I’d like to think he has an eye for talent - so why didn’t a £2 million transfer/s happen?

Could it have something to do with our chairman, John Berylson, who knew, before he offered Rowett the manager’s job, of the huge transfer kitty Rowett was given when he was manager at Stoke? That Rowett spunked millions of pounds up the wall on players of the poor low calibre of Tom Ince - a player loathed and despised by Stoke fans, who initially thought that they might be getting a carbon copy, player wise, of his dad, Paul?

Perhaps mindful of this, Berylson had vowed to never give his new manager the same opportunity to spunk his money up the wall as the Stoke chairman did?

We all know that since he’s been with us, Berylson has been fantastic for our football club, not withstanding how he has also kept Millwall going financially by personally paying out a £1 million a month, to cover the pandemic lockdown and the resounding lack of funds from fans not able to attend home games at the Den. For that alone we should be eternally grateful to him.

Having said that, is he going to risk adding to his financial woes by adding more debt to the club by giving £2 million to Rowett, with no guarantee it will be spent wisely on a striker/s that will solve Millwall‘s lack of firepower up front? Possibly not.

It would be better for Berylson to just wait and hope that we can somehow stay in the Championship long enough until the regeneration project actually finishes and profits begin rolling in. When the next January transfer window happens, if the club is already in an automatic promotion spot, or at the very least, in a play off position, then, and only then, might Berylson use some of the regeneration profits to strengthen the squad, in the hope of getting into the Premiershit! Once that has been achieved, he would have to strengthen the team even further.

Until all that happens, I think Rowett has just got to get on with the players he has. Even though there are players that have their contracts ending at the end of this season, I don’t think Rowett will get any funds in this January window, and I think he knows that. This is why he signed Parrott and Zahore, hoping they would come good, so the club only had their wages to pay out.

I want to be wrong but the years of constant penny pinching has always been the Millwall Way for it to be anything different.

Last edited:

lottwall

No one could possibly argue that Rowett hasn’t done very shrewd business in the transfer market in the time he’s been here. Woods is one of the best midfielders in the division for starters.
Parrott was wanted by just about everyone, touted as the next Kane. We got him. Bennett, whilst having questionable injury problems, is a handful. Zohore will in my opinion be a good signing once he gets going.

Bar that this is still a Harris squad, having to play the likes of Bod, Williams, Leonard at right back, Skalak on the bench... it’s not what any championship manager wants. Gihim and the club time to really mould this squad in his style.

Me personally I can see where he is trying to take us, but he does need to be backed in the transfer market to bring more players of Ryan Woods’ quality to the club, in all positions.

January could be really crucial... a good window I feel could be the difference between how our season pans out. With the fixture congestion being very intense and ushaving a small squad I think we definitely will be in for a few reinforcements regardless. Could we dig out a Ben Marshall type signing who goes on to be a pivotal
You forgot to mention Malone. Bad signing. Hardly what you would call shrewd.

STWall

I was just teasing to try and lighten things as people are feeling so negative after another exasperating and at times excruciatingly boring home performance.

For the record, 33, I'm behind the the Millwall manager, but still perplexed as to why Williams gets anywhere near the team.

I agree that Iike the signings he has made so far. None are in the Elliott, Bod, Bradshaw, Leonard, Skalak mould, thankfully.

But to have only 40% possession against a Neil Harris team is something that seriously needs addressing.
Jim, I think there are question marks about GR. Our frustration seems to be borne of his ‘conservative’ approach for which he has a track record for seeking not to lose, rather than setting up to win! Similar to criticisms of Pulis.

kevrelles

Just reading GR comments and saying we are not taking our chances.......when you have to rely on the likes of Bod it's no wonder....Ben ,s effort was poor and should have made it 2-0 easy chance....but it's the level of our football thats worrying ....let's be honest Cardiff are not a good team and until the Malone fuck up were not really in the game as such.....to make a decent challenge you have to win this games....Barnsley , Weds, just 2 more examples....I'm afraid we will be just making up the numbers this season if GR cannot sort out our topsy turvy play each week
He tinkered after a great performance against Luton. Since then we have played mostly shit . Why the fuck did he try and fix something that was not broken. The blame lays squarely on rowetts shoulders

Last edited:

kevrelles

Would it? I don’t think so!

Before this season started, we were “told” that we had £2 million available to buy a striker. Suddenly we’re linked with Moore, who ultimately chose to go to Cardiff instead of us.

How do we really know we were linked to him in the first place? Or that we had £2 million to spend? If we did have that money, why didn’t Rowett use it on another striker when Moore turned us down? He kept saying he wanted another striker (if possible), so why didn’t he look at forwards in leagues 1 or 2?

For £2 million Rowett could have definitely got one (possibly two) half decent strikers from either of those leagues. I’m not saying that they would have turned out to be better than Smith, Bod and Bradshaw (though with the last two that wouldn‘t be too hard to do), as playing in the Championship is a major step up from league 1, and an even bigger step up from league 2, but he may have struck lucky. Rowett did bring in Woods and Bennett, so I’d like to think he has an eye for talent - so why didn’t a £2 million transfer/s happen?

Could it have something to do with our chairman, John Berylson, who knew, before he offered Rowett the manager’s job, of the huge transfer kitty Rowett was given when he was manager at Stoke? That Rowett spunked millions of pounds up the wall on players of the poor low calibre of Tom Ince - a player loathed and despised by Stoke fans, who initially thought that they might be getting a carbon copy, player wise, of his dad, Paul?

Perhaps mindful of this, Berylson had vowed to never give his new manager the same opportunity to spunk his money up the wall as the Stoke chairman did?

We all know that since he’s been with us, Berylson has been fantastic for our football club, not withstanding how he has also kept Millwall going financially by personally paying out a £1 million a month, to cover the pandemic lockdown and the resounding lack of funds from fans not able to attend home games at the Den. For that alone we should be eternally grateful to him.

Having said that, is he going to risk adding to his financial woes by adding more debt to the club by giving £2 million to Rowett, with no guarantee it will be spent wisely on a striker/s that will solve Millwall‘s lack of firepower up front? Possibly not.

It would be better for Berylson to just wait and hope that we can somehow stay in the Championship long enough until the regeneration project actually finishes and profits begin rolling in. When the next January transfer window happens, if the club is already in an automatic promotion spot, or at the very least, in a play off position, then, and only then, might Berylson use some of the regeneration profits to strengthen the squad, in the hope of getting into the Premiershit! Once that has been achieved, he would have to strengthen the team even further.

Until all that happens, I think Rowett has just got to get on with the players he has. Even though there are players that have their contracts ending at the end of this season, I don’t think Rowett will get any funds in this January window, and I think he knows that. This is why he signed Parrott and Zahore, hoping they would come good, so the club only had their wages to pay out.

I want to be wrong but the years of constant penny pinching has always been the Millwall Way for it to be anything different.
We won't be In a play off spot if he keeps fucking picking bod or bradshaw

33lion

I found that we didn’t try to play any football yesterday. Which was a strange decision considering we have already shown this season that we can actually do it. Too many aimless hoofs and loss of possession yesterday for my liking

LeonC

What I can’t understand for the life of me is why Brown didn’t start. Romeo not being fit was the main reason for the reshuffle and playing Leonard at right back. Why have a player like Brown on the books if you simply don’t play him when the opportunity arises. Brown is getting no football and the only other decent RB is in Scotland playing. He could of also played Muller at RB as an option. It rile’s me when managers make statements that all the squad will be needed and then he goes and plays a central midfielder at RB. Equally ridiculous was risking your entire midfield playing in one game. Leonard, Thompson, Woods and Williams all playing and the only other option Mitchell crocked. Think about it this was all done because one RB is injured !. He could of even played Skalak at RB as Brighton did on many occasions.

If Brown isn’t good enough as cover for Romeo then why is he not out on loan and McNamara waiting his chance here ?.

Supporting Millwall

If we are playing 5 at the back.
We have to play creative players in front.
Mahoney is the best player we have for creativity in my opinion and has to play.
Throw Skalak in the mix as well if Bennett is injured see if he can do anything. Have two proper wingers.
With Smith up top on his own.
Jed and the Ginger in the middle of the park with Jed being attacking centre mid.
Jed's got goals in him and a good engine like a Lampard
GO 5 4 1. In my opinion has to be 5 at the back because we always get done through a lack of pace as a 4.

We won't be In a play off spot if he keeps fucking picking bod or bradshaw
But that’s the problem, Kev. He keeps picking them! Pretty much everyone on this board thinks that Odd Bod and Bradshit are league 1 players, at best, yet Rowett still perseveres with them! Why?

Maybe he thinks that with a strong defence it doesn’t matter if you don’t have your strikers scoring every game! As long as players like Smith (when he’s played), Jed, Leonard, Mahoney and Cooper keep chipping in with a goal here and there, a draw is another point on the board.

And that’s the problem. He is a defence minded manager, and would rather gain a point than lose all 3. His supporters will say he has to work with what he has (the players, lack of finances, etc), yet pre season we supposedly had £2 million to spend on a forward which hasn’t been used since.

He won’t take a chance and blood young forwards like Alexander and Malik, even though other managers in the Championship have brought their youngsters into their first team, quite often with positive results (a case in point was Derby‘s Sibley at the Den last season when the youngster scored his first ever hat trick against us).

i’d like to think that Berylson knows a bit about the game by now, and would want to see a skilful, attacking team that is consistently at their best every week. If that’s true, then why isn’t he on Rowett’s back to get the results he and us, the fans, want to see?

Something is very wrong at Millwall right now, and whoever or whatever it is that’s causing it, is scuppering our chance of doing so much better in a very average Championship right now!

kevrelles

But that’s the problem, Kev. He keeps picking them! Pretty much everyone on this board thinks that Odd Bod and Bradshit are league 1 players, at best, yet Rowett still perseveres with them! Why?

Maybe he thinks that with a strong defence it doesn’t matter if you don’t have your strikers scoring every game! As long as players like Smith (when he’s played), Jed, Leonard, Mahoney and Cooper keep chipping in with a goal here and there, a draw is another point on the board.

And that’s the problem. He is a defence minded manager, and would rather gain a point than lose all 3. His supporters will say he has to work with what he has (the players, lack of finances, etc), yet pre season we supposedly had £2 million to spend on a forward which hasn’t been used since.

He won’t take a chance and blood young forwards like Alexander and Malik, even though other managers in the Championship have brought their youngsters into their first team, quite often with positive results (a case in point was Derby‘s Sibley at the Den last season when the youngster scored his first ever hat trick against us).

i’d like to think that Berylson knows a bit about the game by now, and would want to see a skilful, attacking team that is consistently at their best every week. If that’s true, then why isn’t he on Rowett’s back to get the results he and us, the fans, want to see?

Something is very wrong at Millwall right now, and whoever or whatever it is that’s causing it, is scuppering our chance of doing so much better in a very average Championship right now!
Clearly he thinks he is never wrong. That's a fucking terrible characteristic, and will cost us dearly.

Ilderton Wanderer

Who is Malik?

champs08

Just reading GR comments and saying we are not taking our chances.......when you have to rely on the likes of Bod it's no wonder....Ben ,s effort was poor and should have made it 2-0 easy chance....but it's the level of our football thats worrying ....let's be honest Cardiff are not a good team and until the Malone fuck up were not really in the game as such.....to make a decent challenge you have to win this games....Barnsley , Weds, just 2 more examples....I'm afraid we will be just making up the numbers this season if GR cannot sort out our topsy turvy play each week
Should’ve made it 2-0! Are you for fkin real? Harry Kane would’ve been praised for tucking away a 20yd shot. Ben was outside the box!!!

Is it Abdulmalik? He hasn’t started a game for the U23s yet this season, do you really think that he’s going to come straight into the championship and start outplaying million pound plus experienced defenders?
Sorry, yes Abdulmalik.

Why not? As I said, Derby’s Sibley scored 3 against us last season, in his full first team debut, and he had just come up from their youth side! Granted, he’s an attacking midfielder (not a forward), but he’s quick (a trait a lot of our midfielders don’t have), and managed to get the better of probably the best defence in this league, that day.

There aren’t many championship sides this season that have a defence as good as ours. A quick, pacey forward like Alexander and/or Abdulmalik would easily get into scoring positions against many of today’s championship defenders.

I personally think that 4 of the 6 draws we got against Stoke, Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff might have had a different outcome for us, had Rowett had the balls to stick Alexander and/or Abdulmalik on the bench in those games. All of those games were crying out for a striker/s who could get behind the opposition‘s defenders! Bring one, or both on with 20 minutes to go in any of those matches, and we might have had another 8 points on the board by now.

Those 8 extra points would have put us top of the table last night, and put us 2 points clear of Norwich, who would have been 2nd now.

If they’re good enough, they should get a go in the first team, irrespective of whether they’re 17, 18, 19 etc. How are they going to learn and improve their game if they continue playing against poorer opposition in the U18/U23’s?