Self employed can now safely gouch at home and be paid up to £1700pm

Salford_Lion

Didn't wait for this, have started a job today driving for tesco in erith distribution centre, would probably pay less than sitting at home, but good to be put there helping families. Easy to re start my roofing business once this blows over.
Much the same roofer, looking for some work to keep me occupied

Millwall tel

Unless I have misunderstood, the Government have left themselves a 'get out of jail free card'....

"80 per cent of the net income they declared on previous tax returns".
And now the silly cunts who didn’t declare everything wish they had!
I’m going to claim as soon as they say I can’t go to work but will probably get knocked back anyway.

Lion1964

What's your understanding of this, Bloke's stopped at source like you say, How can they wait until June to get any Money?
Stopped 20% at source, registered as self employed in September, obviously haven’t done a self assessment, so have no tax return for 2019.
As E18 eloquently puts it, I think I am cattled.

marka

I made profits in 2016-17 and 2017-2018
However I made a loss in 2018-19 so not sure if I will get anything by a grant?
June seems along way off though.

E18 wall

Same as you I just wondered if you thought the same, I am expecting a call in the next hour from him asking how much I can give him, I suppose the April tax rebate will help everyone.
I leave mine till Christmas time as a safety net, pay over the odds but he does his job,seems

wellers_shot

I get sod all as I drew dividends from one company each year which were a little bit more than my self employed net profits.
He said you get it for anyone with net profits up to £50k as long as other earnings are not more than self employed earnings. ☹☹☹

Andover_Lion

I made profits in 2016-17 and 2017-2018
However I made a loss in 2018-19 so not sure if I will get anything by a grant?
June seems along way off though.
Taken from gov.uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-gives-support-to-millions-of-self-employed-individuals

HMRC will use the average trading profits from tax returns in 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 to determine the size of the grant

The scheme will be open to those with a trading profit of less than £50,000 in 2018-19 or an average trading profit of less than £50,000 from 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19

To qualify, more than half of their income in these periods must come from self-employment

Andover_Lion

Stopped 20% at source, registered as self employed in September, obviously haven’t done a self assessment, so have no tax return for 2019.
As E18 eloquently puts it, I think I am cattled.
You could be due a tax repayment for 2019/20 as you’ve had tax deducted from a pension cash in, plus having 20% CIS tax deducted. Get your Self-Assessment tax return done soon after 5th April, put your bank details on the tax return and any repayment due could be in your bank account within a couple of weeks. Might be worth using an accountant to make sure the return is right and you get what you’re due. They could always deduct their fee from the repayment due.

Lion1964

Thanks for your advice Andover I really appreciate it. Been trying to seek advice all day as I had a feeling something like this would happen.

The chancellor has left me up shit creek without a paddle it seems. Feeling like I’ve been shafted by a rhino, don’t say a word ULSTER.
Anyone know a good accountant?🤔

Andover_Lion

Thanks for your advice Andover I really appreciate it. Been trying to seek advice all day as I had a feeling something like this would happen.

The chancellor has left me up shit creek without a paddle it seems. Feeling like I’ve been shafted by a rhino, don’t say a word ULSTER.
Anyone know a good accountant?🤔
You may be able to get Council Tax Support/Reduction. Put your postcode on the following link and it should take you to your local council's website https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction