Radio Millwall FM 108 MHz N/W

whiskylion

Of all the many hundreds of recordings we have had on here I guarantee none are more poignant or chillingly beautiful than this. Or so steeped in pathos.

This is Klaus Nomi (who once sung with Bowie) singing Henry Purcell's hauntingly taut and beautiful The Cold Song (which itself inspired Michael Nyman's glorious Time Lapse).

Now, I'm a bit of a baroque freak but this recording is beyond extraordinary because Nomi was not only dying when he sang this, but knew he was dying and had, at best, only weeks to live.

And yet the song he gave every last trace of his receding energy to perform, every last molecule of oxygen to hold that final note, was about....death. The very same death that was set to embrace him.

It makes this one of the most captivating and hair-tingling performances of all time.

4evaLions

Of all the many hundreds of recordings we have had on here I guarantee none are more poignant or chillingly beautiful than this. Or so steeped in pathos.

This is Klaus Nomi (who once sung with Bowie) singing Henry Purcell's hauntingly taut and beautiful The Cold Song (which itself inspired Michael Nyman's glorious Time Lapse).

Now, I'm a bit of a baroque freak but this recording is beyond extraordinary because Nomi was not only dying when he sang this, but knew he was dying and had, at best, only weeks to live.

And yet the song he gave every last trace of his receding energy to perform, every last molecule of oxygen to hold that final note, was about....death. The very same death that was set to embrace him.

It makes this one of the most captivating and hair-tingling performances of all time.

He didn’t look very well to be sure.

Kryan Bing

There is a good live version of that on YouTube. Also, from the same concert,
'Chasing Sheep Is Best Left To Shepherds' is well worth a listen.

kevrelles

Yes he was on a recording and video with bowie.a version of the man who sold the world.

whiskylion

Yes he was on a recording and video with bowie.a version of the man who sold the world.
I doubt if that performance was as truly stupendous as his "Cold Genius".

By the way, Kev, Henry Purcell died aged 36. Nomi was 39. We were robbed of so many years of extraordinary creativity.

Of all the recordings I have heard,, the one below is probably closest to how Purcell would have heard it in his lifetime.

Most recordings are using relatively modern instruments. Though this clip doesn't say so, i can 100% assure you that all the instruments used are originals of the baroque period. The result is a crispness to the music which perfectly matches the snow and ice in which the singer is freezing to death.

The singer Andreas Scholl, also, has vastly improved on his earlier recordings, having obviously worked hard to perfect his rendition. And he is helped by the correct slow pace - far too many recording I have heard of this over the years are way too fast.

This is quite brilliant (one orchestral bum note apart!) and my second favourite to Nomi"s:

Last edited: