Petrol and diesel RIP

Millwalljohn

Well the latest masterstroke from Boris the buffoon, or should that read his bint who is pulling the strings at the moment, is nine years time and no more petrol and diesel cars! Nine years will be gone before you know it! As someone who works in the parts supply side of car repairs this is a worry to me. The only profit of any significance we make is from service work which will disappear. My advice would be to hang on to your current motor for a while and then buy the best petrol engine car you can in 2029. They really are doing their best not to be re-elected at the next GE.
Wouldn't worry mate, the way the world is carrying on at the moment, we'll all be dead within 8 years.

Stompie

Oh, I know that re discussing futuristic ideas on a Millwall forum.

But to be fair, I have always said ‘I just think’, not that I know... However, I honestly don’t think driverless cars being called up on an app by the time my girls are of working age (2032) is that far fetched. The technology is already in place.

I would imagine hubs would be things like converted car parks, service stations and even converted lanes on motorways - as you no longer need them with an integrated driverless system.

BTW I am not saying we would jump straight to the pod thing, I just believe that’s the direction transport will take.

I imagine that the target of 2030 is just to get car companies off their arses, as all they’ve done for the last 50 years is make little modifications.

On that, I actually don’t think electric will be the main way we get transport moving. I think technology around kinetic and heat energy will be developed... with a smaller amount of electrical charge needed to get the vehicle moving, but not powering it for the majority of the journey.

I actually think this move to renewable energy etc will see the creation of jobs and a growth in the economy, rather than doom and gloom. But that’s me, I work with kids that have cancer and other medical issues, I guess I have to be an optimist!
We were already set to ban the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040. I think It had already been enshrined In law.

Why do we need to bring It further by 10 years? Surely the 20 year time frame was one that was calculated as being the most suitable and feasible by those who concocted the plan? After all, It was deemed acceptable by most ballanced environmentalists. Wouldn't that time period given us the perfect opportunity to Invest, train and educate people to design, build and maintain these new necessities to world beating standards? How much more now will we be relying on foriegn Investment and manufacturing to achieve what we need?

This Is my problem. There was no need to bring It forward. There was no need to make It harder for us to adapt to. We don't have the Infrastructure, or the capabilities of Investment and building needed to make It work fully within the time constraint. It's not a policy that got the man an 80 seat majority. At the moment, It's not even a concern for the majority of the population. The fact the the man and his cabinet cotinue to completely fuck up their handling of this virus, whilst seemingly Ignoring the main concerns of the voters and the reasons they were elected Is even more reprehensible. Voters want him to get a strong Brexit. Voters want him to controll the continued tide of Ilegal Immigration. Voters want him to reform the civil service and other left wing monopolies which used to be respectable Institutions. Voters want him to crack down on Identity politics. Voters want him to tackle the Increasing amounts of violent crime. The northern wall wants the nuts and bolts Investment promised In their communities to 'level them up'. They don't want and need expensive and Invasive policies whilst the above Is being Ignored.

Cui Bono?

Yes In the long term the planet does. But no more than It would have done with the original target.

So, what's at play here. Is this the true Idological metro-liberal face of a man who wears a Conservative mask? Is he neively trying to pander to a voter base that will always hate him and never vote for his party? Is he psychopathically determined to create legacy for himself at the cost of this countries working people? Does he know his days are numbered and whilst he can, cement himself as figure to be revered on the upper middle class dinner circuit and absorb all the gilded trappings It has to offer? Is he just beholden to his fiancees privileged woke certainties and can't see past her and her charms?

Or Is he, with his wilful and seeming determination to destroy the economy and peoples lives, In the pocket of those who want him to force about a dramatic overhaul of the way In which the ballance of power and choice belongs to the citizen and consumer Instead of the global elite? After all, he used the W.E.F slogan of build, back, better during his key note address at the Conservative party conference. He's not a man known for his forsite or desire for detail. Maybe he has just been blinded by the notion of 'stakeholder capitalism', without paying to much attention to what It entails.

I don't know what the answer Is, maybe he has genuine humanitarian and patriotic reasons for these measures and knows what he is doing? Maybe he believes this Is the best way to get our economy flying? What I do know Is that many voters are already suspicious of an elite that they see as ever Increasingly out of touch with ordinary peoples are concerns. What I do know Is that he Is alienating and loosing his core supporters and new voters at an alarming rate. What I do know Is that the public are becoming extreamly pissed off about being In a seemingly never ending lockdown, with their freedoms curtailed and futures uncertain. They want and need, this whole country needs, stong leadership and decisive action. Not grand, expensive distractions based on Ideological grandstanding by a government who can't organise a track and trace system with a dozen billion spent. We don't need this at the moment and that's why I'm suspicious. They have created a ten year plan when they don't yet have a plan for Christmas In a months time.

Last edited:

kevrelles

We were already set to ban the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040. I think It had already been enshrined In law.

Why do we need to bring It further by 10 years? Surely the 20 year time frame was one that was calculated as being the most suitable and feasible by those who concocted the plan? After all, It was deemed acceptable by most ballanced environmentalists. Wouldn't that time period given us the perfect opportunity to Invest, train and educate people to design, build and maintain these new necessities to world beating standards? How much more now will we be relying on foriegn Investment and manufacturing to achieve what we need?

This Is my problem. There was no need to bring It forward. There was no need to make It harder for us to adapt to. We don't have the Infrastructure, or the capabilities of Investment and building needed to make It work fully within the time constraint. It's not a policy that got the man an 80 seat majority. At the moment, It's not even a concern for the majority of the population. The fact the the man and his cabinet cotinue to completely fuck up their handling of this virus, whilst seemingly Ignoring the main concerns of the voters and the reasons they were elected Is even more reprehensible. Voters want him to get a strong Brexit. Voters want him to controll the continued tide of Ilegal Immigration. Voters want him to reform the civil service and other left wing monopolies which used to be respectable Institutions. Voters want him to crack down on Identity politics. Voters want him to tackle the Increasing amounts of violent crime. The northern wall wants the nuts and bolts Investment promised In their communities to 'level them up'. They don't want and need expensive and Invasive policies whilst the above Is being Ignored.

Cui Bono?

Yes In the long term the planet does. But no more than It would have done with the original target.

So, what's at play here. Is this the true Idological metro-liberal face of a man who wears a Conservative mask? Is he neively trying to pander to a voter base that will always hate him and never vote for his party? Is he psychopathically determined to create legacy for himself at the cost of this countries working people? Does he know his days are numbered and whilst he can, cement himself as figure to be revered on the upper middle class dinner circuit and absorb all the gilded trappings It has to offer? Is he just beholden to his fiancees privileged woke certainties and can't see past her and her charms?

Or Is he, with his wilful and seeming determination to destroy the economy and peoples lives, In the pocket of those who want him to force about a dramatic overhaul of the way In which the ballance of power and choice belongs to the citizen and consumer Instead of the global elite? After all, he used the W.E.F slogan of build, back, better during his key note address at the Conservative party conference. He's not a man known for his forsite or desire for detail. Maybe he has just been blinded by the notion of 'stakeholder capitalism', without paying to much attention to what It entails.

I don't know what the answer Is, maybe he has genuine humanitarian and patriotic reasons for these measures and knows what he is doing? Maybe he believes this Is the best way to get our economy flying? What I do know Is that many voters are already suspicious of an elite that they see as ever Increasingly out of touch with ordinary peoples are concerns. What I do know Is that he Is alienating and loosing his core supporters and new voters at an alarming rate. What I do know Is that the public are becoming extreamly pissed off about being In a seemingly never ending lockdown, with their freedoms curtailed and futures uncertain. They want and need, this whole country needs, stong leadership and decisive action. Not grand, expensive distractions based on Ideological grandstanding by a government who can't organise a track and trace system with a dozen billion spent. We don't need this at the moment and that's why I'm suspicious. They have created a ten year plan when they don't yet have a plan for Christmas In a months time.
The whores are worried the lube will be in short supply

Moody

Cui Bono?

Like I said... probably just designed to get things moving and yes, for him to be seen as someone creating a legacy.

No doubt it will be reviewed at the half way point.

Anything that stirs car manufactures out of their stupor is fine by me.

Perhaps with the advent of driverless cars and more home working, infrastructure demand will decrease anyway. Whilst emissions decrease too, buying more time - as you would imagine all driverless cars would be electric or hybrids.

It could be that by 2030 a significant percentage of people simply use an app for journeys. I think the cost of learning to drive and then pay to own a car is now astronomical for young people. It may make more financial sense to simply call up a driverless car and pay for specific journeys, especially if you are only going into an office once or twice a week.

kevrelles

Like I said... probably just designed to get things moving and yes, for him to be seen as someone creating a legacy.

No doubt it will be reviewed at the half way point.

Anything that stirs car manufactures out of their stupor is fine by me.

Perhaps with the advent of driverless cars and more home working, infrastructure demand will decrease anyway. Whilst emissions decrease too, buying more time - as you would imagine all driverless cars would be electric or hybrids.

It could be that by 2030 a significant percentage of people simply use an app for journeys. I think the cost of learning to drive and then pay to own a car is now astronomical for young people. It may make more financial sense to simply call up a driverless car and pay for specific journeys, especially if you are only going into an office once or twice a week.
If it's driverless does that mean it's passengerless aswell :wahey:

Axholme Lion

Cui Bono?

Hopefully he will be out of a job soon. The man is spitting in the face of the people who gave him his majority. I can't imagine the working class in the North East being too happy about this lunatic, tree hugging escapade.

Moody

Hopefully he will be out of a job soon. The man is spitting in the face of the people who gave him his majority. I can't imagine the working class in the North East being too happy about this lunatic, tree hugging escapade.

Won’t building wind turbines and installing green infrastructure actually provide exactly the jobs they need though?!

Moody

Who do you scream road rage at ?

I love driving.

But... I will be glad to see the back of selfish arseholes, SUV drivers that don’t know the dimensions of their vehicle, drunk drivers, cunts driving on drugs thinking they are Tony Soprano, rubber neckers, oddballs that drive 40mph EVERYWHERE (including past schools!!?!), old drivers, young drivers that think they’re invincible... plus sitting in traffic jams that wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for all of the above!!

Axholme Lion

Won’t building wind turbines and installing green infrastructure actually provide exactly the jobs they need though?!
That's another thing while we're at it. Bloody wind turbines every where you look, destroying the enjoyment of the views of the countryside. Why can't they stick them all out at sea?

bramcoteboy62

That's another thing while we're at it. Bloody wind turbines every where you look, destroying the enjoyment of the views of the countryside. Why can't they stick them all out at sea?

Think quite a lot are out at sea. Personally I much prefer looking at a wind turbine than a power plant or pylon but yes I get the point

Supporting Millwall

I think they should start making hydrogen gas from the oceans.
They've just discovered a way to do it without having to use platinum in the electrolysis.
I also think if they want to have an abundant source of energy get that from the wave power in the oceans too....I know they keep saying its too hard but that seems more where if you want to be a fucking environmentalist the water is staring us in the fucking face saying use me.
Wheres my nobel prize.....fuck off Greta

kcajsenoj

Poor people wont be able to afford cars very soon and even if they can , their movements will be restricted a bit like they are now but with the added bonus of Big brother watching and listening, Alexa monitor me now. Freedom of speech on the internet might help us but Oh no they are stopping us from communicating to each other unless of course we agree with the Governments views and figures on Covid and anything else for that matter. Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas/China

Last edited:

bramcoteboy62

Poor people wont be able to afford cars very soon and even if they can , their movements will be restricted a bit like they are now but with the added bonus of Big brother watching and listening, Alexa monitor me now. Freedom of speech on the internet might help us but Oh no they are stopping us from communicating to each other unless of course we agree with the Governments views and figures on Covid and anything else for that matter. Its beginning to look a lot like China.

Alexa is the worst thing going. Fuck knows why anyone would pay Amazon to bug their household and advertise within it

Peckham Lion

Bloody wind turbines every where you look, destroying the enjoyment of the views of the countryside. Why can't they stick them all out at sea?
They do and spoil the view from the south downs when looking out to sea. They produce next to fuck all power either. It's another earner for MP's and their in-laws, nice grants to be had.