Oops nw

PurleyLion

Your garden seems to be a bit of a hazard Purley..... It's not on a flight path or shipping lane by any chance?
Many years ago an annual โ€œtreatโ€ was me and my, then, young, son burning cuttings etc. in summer. Always enjoyable and great fun๐Ÿ‘

The day after the โ€œfamily fireโ€ my son decided to have one of his own which he started close to the fence and railway embankment!

At work, I got a panicky call from my wife telling me to get home quickly there was a problem. When I got home the fire had spread to the railway embankment causing an East Grinstead to London Bridge train to stop and the guard to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher ๐Ÿงฏ

Never a dull moment in the Purley household ๐Ÿ˜‰

Last edited:

whiskylion

A sparrowhawk attacked and killed a pigeon in my garden last summer.

Lethal, could teach our strikers a thing or two about finishing ๐Ÿ˜‰
We have no striker as fast, agile and deadly as a sparrowhawk at the club. Or as single minded....except perhaps the manager when out comes to keeping a clean sheet...

whiskylion

I assume you're a twitcher Whisky, Not something I ever thought I would get involved with but retirement has mellowed me, I visited Richmond park really enjoyable, Parakeets and bluetits regularly come to my feeder's, I can see how it could be a nice pastime, I would also like to get involved in battering those fox hunting cunts.
Not a twitcher, mate, they are the insane brigade of the bird watching fraternity.

But I've been a very serious birder for a few decades now and know my way about virtually all UK birds by song/call alone - and rarely need a guide to identify a North American species.

They bring enormous joy to watch. And sometimes photo. I use my iPhone camera freehand against my scope. Get some amazing results.

Including, a few years back, a sparrowhawk devouring a wood pigeon under the apple tree among the snow drops. In fact it was there so long, that was how I first began to perfect my method of freehand iPhone photography.

This morning I dispatched a rat at the feeders. Placed it out on the lawn for a passing Buzzard or Red Kite to snack on. Last time, a few weeks back, it was a buzzard and got some stunning pics.

The time, being a smaller rat, it went so fast I didn't even get a chance to see what took it...!!!

Last edited:

The German Herman

Not a twitcher, mate, they are the insane brigade of the bird watching fraternity.

But I've been a very serious birder for a few decades now and know my way about virtually all UK birds by song/call alone - and rarely need a guide to identify a North American species.

They bring enormous joy to watch. And sometimes photo. I use my iPhone camera freehand against my scope. Get some amazing results.

Including, a few years back, a sparrowhawk devouring a wood pigeon under the apple tree among the snow drops. In fact it was there so long, that was how I first began to perfect my method of freehand iPhone photography.

This morning I dispatched a rat at the feeders. Placed it out on the lawn for a passing Buzzard or Red Kite to snack on. Last time, a few weeks back, it was a buzzard and got time stunning pics.

The time, being a smaller rat, it went so fast I didn't even get a chance to see what took it...!!!
One of my last contract's was building some very posh house's in rural Buckinghamshire, I was rather shocked to see a red kite mainly because I thought an eagle was soaring above my head, Talking to the 6 fingered locals they are considered a pest.

whiskylion

One of my last contract's was building some very posh house's in rural Buckinghamshire, I was rather shocked to see a red kite mainly because I thought an eagle was soaring above my head, Talking to the 6 fingered locals they are considered a pest.
Were you anywhere near Stokenchurch?

Ulster Lion

Many years ago an annual โ€œtreatโ€ was me and my, then, young, son burning cuttings etc. in summer. Always enjoyable and great fun๐Ÿ‘

The day after the โ€œfamily fireโ€ my son decided to have one of his own which he started close to the fence and railway embankment!

At work, I got a panicky call from my wife telling me to get home quickly there was a problem. When I got home the fire had spread to the railway embankment causing an East Grinstead to London Bridge train to stop and the guard to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher ๐Ÿงฏ

I think you should be putting asbestos underpants and pyjamas on your Christmas list this year.

Terry_Hurlock

Can you set light to My Old China Purley?

They'll just let that burn and will feed your arsonist tendencies......