Oops nw

PurleyLion

During the first lockdown I cut back a lot of shrubs and trees. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take the waste to my local dump that was closed so I left it at the bottom of the garden. It reached the stage where I had an area of circa 14ft x 14ft with cuttings stacked 3 ft high.

To rid I had 2 options ie load into builders bags and make numerous trips to the dump or burn it.

I chose the latter. Big mistake on a windy day like today. A gust of wind set alight two trees at the bottom of the garden and spread it to the adjacent railway embankment 🤦‍♂️ I was trying to control the spread with my garden hose but not making much progress ☹️

Suddenly the local fire brigade appeared in my garden after receiving a call from a “concerned individual”!

40 minutes and 4500 litres of water later the fire was out👍

I apologised several times and struggled to hide my embarrassment🙈

A £50 donation to the firemen charity has eased my guilt but only slightly 😔

Lesson learnt no more garden fires 🔥!

Last edited:

Lion of rotherhithe

During the first lockdown I cut back a lot of shrubs and trees. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take the waste to my local dump that was closed so I left it at the bottom of the garden. It reached the stage where I had an area of circa 14ft x 14ft with cuttings stacked 3 ft high.

To rid I had 2 options ie load into builders bags and make numerous trips to the dump or burn it.

I chose the latter. Big mistake on a windy day like today. A gust of wind set alight two trees at the bottom of the garden and spread it to the adjacent railway embankment 🤦‍♂️ I was trying to control the spread with my garden hose but not making much progress ☹️

Suddenly the local fire brigade appeared in my garden after receiving a call from a “concerned individual”!

Nincompoop

Axholme Lion

You would be at home where i live on the Isle of Axholme. They are bonfire mad, every sodding weekend some pyromaniac is at it.
Nice sunny day, let's have a fire.
Washing on line, let's have a fire.
Just cleaned windows, let's have a fire.
The annoying thing is the tip has never been shut all year!

whiskylion

You really don't like birds very much, do you!

Poor buggers are nesting and you are either smoking them out or burning down their homes....

Another £50 to the RSPB, please.

Last edited:

PurleyLion

Maybe you shouldnt have used petrol to get the fire going
No petrol or accelerant, just paper and a match.

These cuttings had been there for over a year so were bone dry! I started the fire about 15ft from the trees at the bottom and railway embankment but it was the strong wind that caused it to spread. A real eye- opener and I can understand how the heath fires spread and are difficult to control.

PurleyLion

Poor buggers are nesting and you are either smoking them out or burins down their homes....

No birds at the bottom of my garden just squirrels and foxes. Unfortunately, none of these pests were injured!

westlion 2

no local vermin or nigels handy to sling on it

BigPaul

No petrol or accelerant, just paper and a match.

These cuttings had been there for over a year so were bone dry! I started the fire about 15ft from the trees at the bottom and railway embankment but it was the strong wind that caused it to spread. A real eye- opener and I can understand how the heath fires spread and are difficult to control.
Welcome to my former world.😀😀😀😀

The German Herman

Poor buggers are nesting and you are either smoking them out or burins down their homes....

I assume you're a twitcher Whisky, Not something I ever thought I would get involved with but retirement has mellowed me, I visited Richmond park really enjoyable, Parakeets and bluetits regularly come to my feeder's, I can see how it could be a nice pastime, I would also like to get involved in battering those fox hunting cunts.

Ulster Lion

I assume you're a twitcher Whisky, Not something I ever thought I would get involved with but retirement has mellowed me, I visited Richmond park really enjoyable, Parakeets and bluetits regularly come to my feeder's, I can see how it could be a nice pastime, I would also like to get involved in battering those fox hunting cunts.
First time ever, I watched a sparrowhawk swoop down and kill a collared dove this morning. It used it's wings like a cloak to cover the dove, before ripping lumps out of it. Really sad to watch, but a natural thing, I suppose. I feed the doves, so it's probably my fault that their guard was dropped, and they usually appear in pairs. I'm wracked with guilt now cos there's a widowed or widowered bird going to shit all over my car in revenge.