Millwall v Fulham Quiz

PurleyLion

I can do a quiz... As I write a bit about this in today's match-day programme, so those of you that buy that will have the advantage:

On 8 October 1938, 49,335 spectators watched Fulham play Millwall in the Second Division. It was the largest attendance ever at Craven Cottage and the record remains today, unlikely to be bettered.

At the time Millwall were 3rd and Fulham were top. So, the fact that this was a top of the table clash helped boost the crowd and a key contributor to that fact was the form of one of the Millwall players. Just a month later his form would be recognised - but by who and why is it a relatively sad landmark in Millwall's proud history?

NB: No authors are allowed to enter this quiz!
I guess the player was J R Smith who went on to play for England and it was one of his last competitive games for Millwall.

Sad landmark?: War broke out after this game with the Lions in the running for promotion to the top flight and, although this was achieved in 1987/88, probably our best opportunity of becoming one of England's top clubs disappeared with the impact of the War (e.g. ground bombed, special team never reached it's full potential or played together again)?

Last edited:

BigPaul

These quizzes are getting ridiculous.
I'm still trying to work out the England international who started his career at Millwall and finished at Sunderland, was it?
I can't even remember the question now. What chance of finding the answer?

Anybody help me out here, please?

Moody

I guess the player was J R Smith who went on to play for England and it was one of his last competitive game for Millwall.

Sad landmar?: War broke out after this game with the Lions in the running for promotion to the top flight and, although this was achieved in 1987/88, probably our best opportunity of becoming one of England's top clubs disappeared with the impact of the War (e.g. ground bombed, special team never reached it's full potential or played together again)?
It was indeed Reg Smith who was called up for England soon after we played Fulham.

He scored twice on his debut, a 4-0 win over Norway and starred in the 7-0 thrashing of Ireland.

And whilst all that is true - ie war ended our chance to truly become one of the top clubs in England, the sad landmark in this case was that Reg Smith is the last Lion to ever play for the ‘full‘ England team (Terry Hurlock did earn England B caps as a Millwall player).

The war robbed him of his prime as a footballer. He ended up leaving Millwall for Dundee after hostilities ceased, having turned out for them as a guest player whilst stationed in Scotland for the RAF.

We could have an extension of this quiz... what record did Smith set when he returned to The Den as manager / and what was interesting from a Millwall point of view about that England v Ireland game back in 1938?

Peckham Lion

These quizzes are getting ridiculous.
I'm still trying to work out the England international who started his career at Millwall and finished at Sunderland, was it?
I can't even remember the question now. What chance of finding the answer?

Anybody help me out here, please?
I know Tim Carter, Alex Rae, Charlie Hurley, Brian Cambers, John Byrne, Danny Dichio, Carlos Edwards and Marin Waghorn ( loanee) played for both clubs.

Moody

19 game unbeaten run which 11 of those games where Draws and a record of scoring 84 goals in a season?
Correct on the unbeaten run, beating Liverpool.

Not on the goals scored - Millwall once scored 87 goals just at home before, a Third Division record.