Millwall v Fulham Quiz

whiskylion

As Peckham correctly pointed out earlier, this fixture has a place in the record books for being the first Football League fixture ever played on a Sunday.

But, for Millwall, a previous visit by Fulham also marked another record for the club, and one very unlikely ever to be broken.

What is it?

Moody

In 1947 we played Fulham at the height of summer in a Division Two fixture.

Due to the bad winter, the government declared that no game could be played during the week, in the interests of production, meaning an extension to the football season.

So, Millwall's final game of the 1946-47 season was played on the 14th June. A 1-1 draw with the Cottagers in front of 10,576, as The Lions finished a lowly 18th.

I may have read this in a good book by somebody.

I doubt we will ever play an actual competitive league fixture in June ever again.

Last edited:

whiskylion

In 1947 we played Fulham at the height of summer in a Division Two league game.

Due to the bad winter, the government declared that no game could be played during the week, in the interests of production, meaning an extension to the football season.

So, Millwall's final game of the 1946-47 season was played on the 14th July. A 1-1 draw in front of 10,576, as The Lions finished a lowly 18th.

No idea why Kev couldn't get that...!!!

Well done, Moody!

Though I have to say that that book you are referring to is absolute shit: it was the 14th June...!!!

Moody

In 1947 we played Fulham at the height of summer in a Division Two fixture.

So, Millwall's final game of the 1946-47 season was played on the 14th July. A 1-1 draw in front of 10,576, as The Lions finished a lowly 18th.

I doubt we will ever play an actual competitive league fixture in July ever again.
Interestingly (sic), fans could not have thought much of summer football or was it because the game was a dead rubber, but that crowd was quite down on the previous 5 home games:

Burnley with 15,684 at The Den
Birmingham City with 24,084 at The Den
Swansea Town with 15,917 at The Den
Leicester City with 25,158 at The Den
Nottingham Forest with 22,108 at The Den

And on the season average of 22,211

Perhaps many were on 'holiday' hop picking in Kent, as my nan used to do!

Moody

No idea why Kev couldn't get that...!!!

Well done, Moody!

Though I have to say that that book you are referring to is absolute shit: it was the 14th June...!!!
Ha. The book is quite average to be fair... but the July was my typo!

whiskylion

Interestingly (sic), fans could not have thought much of summer football or was it because the game was a dead rubber, but that crowd was quite down on the previous 5 home games:

Burnley with 15,684 at The Den
Birmingham City with 24,084 at The Den
Swansea Town with 15,917 at The Den
Leicester City with 25,158 at The Den
Nottingham Forest with 22,108 at The Den

And on the season average of 22,211

Perhaps many were on 'holiday'hop picking in Kent, as my nan used to do!
It was probably because they thought the game was on 14th July, not 14th June...