Match thread Bournemouth v Millwall

wellerwasbest

He was my MoM, because I can't actually remember him giving the ball away, his tackling was brilliantly timed, as were his interceptions, positional play great.

And it was hs first League start for us.

Best debut I have seen by a Millwall lad since Rhino at Oxford nearly 40 years ago. Just gutted I wasn't there tonight to tell the tale.
You mean the one where the ball went under his foot straight from the kick off right to their winger and scored after about 40 seconds
That one

whiskylion

You mean the one where the ball went under his foot straight from the kick off right to their winger and scored after about 40 seconds
That one
Yep, exactly that one.

Because, as a 16-year-old making that immediate fuck up, he could have then crumbled and that might have been the end of his career.

But he didn't. He played as though nothing had happened and didn't put a foot wrong for the next 89 minutes.

I was so impressed with that end-of-season debut by a kid, I even went and contacted the club the next day and sponsored Rhino's shirt for the forthcoming season!!!

Eamon Dunphys tackle

Yep, exactly that one.

Because, as a 16-year-old making that immediate fuck up, he could have then crumbled and that might have been the end of his career.

But he didn't. He played as though nothing had happened and didn't put a foot wrong for the next 89 minutes.

I was so impressed with that end-of-season debut by a kid, I even went and contacted the club the next day and sponsored Rhino's shirt for the forthcoming season!!!
I was at Oxford that day Whisky.
And your right, that was the day a Lions legend was born.

wellerwasbest

Yep, exactly that one.

Yeah i agree was just being mischievous ha
Imagine after a start like that and knowing what he went on to do for the club
I always thought he was a much better player than many people who even rated him
never looked out of place in the top division just like many of the other wall players

When he was on one of the wall Radio programmes they asked for questions and memories of him during his time as a player
I passed this on reminding him of the oxford game which they put to him "Yeah tell him thanks for that" ha in a certain tone

The only other 1st minute debut incident i can think of was possibly Pat Van Den Hauwes at the valley, those who were there will know what i mean

Talking of great debuts from fairly unknown players at Millwall one of the best I've seen was in a reserve game at Kingstonians ground v Chelsea Neil Emblem his first game in a wall shirt completely marked "you scotch ct" ha fleck out of the game
Looked real class
We were all raving about him on the way home after the game
Within weeks he was in the first team and Marking the likes of John Aldridge out of the game

Ref to the shirt fair play

Last edited:

whiskylion

I was at Oxford that day Whisky.
And your right, that was the day a Lions legend was born.
Think it was a glorious Spring evening, EDT.

I was living in Melton Mowbray then. Drove down to Wellingborough as my Dad couldn't drive, picked him up and then took him to the game along the old A43 that is no more.

Stopped at lovely country pub on the way down and then into Headington. Then stayed overnight at my parents'. All so vivid from 40 years ago....