Just Back v Wycombe on iFlop

Phlion54

An unconvincing performance and a fortunate three points.

We did not start well. They had clear instructions to get the foot in, deny us space and try really hard to rough us up. We did not match them physically for about 20 minutes and by that time we were one down. A back pass to Bart looked very straight forward to deal with but he made an absolute pig's ear of it. He let it run across his body to his right foot and his feet got in a mess. He pushed it left and as he tried to clear it their Kashket stuck out a foot and it hit his toe and rolled forward into the net. A softer goal you would not see over Blackheath. Bart was crestfallen. They were over the moon and thought that they could push us even harder. We struggled to get a foot in the game and it wasn't until around twenty minutes that we started to compete with them. We were getting a lot of joy down the right. Jed was running hard and Mahlon was doing his best to support him. We had three decent moves which came to nothing. A good ball into the box was met on the full by Murray but it went straight to the keeper. A good free kick to the far post saw Smith and Cooper free and the header came across goal but came to nothing. The very best chance came to Hutch. A great free kick from Jed on the right was met by Hutch with the goal gaping from eight yards. He headed it down, their defender turned his back on it, it hit him on the back of the leg and went off for a corner. Hutch could not believe it! And it ended with us one down at the break.

GR told them, in no uncertain terms to up their game and they came out second half with a lot more purpose. We played a little higher line, condensed the play more into their half and pushed forward. It didn't take long to get back on terms. A great cross from Jed on the right was dropping right onto Smith's head and their defender pushed him over. The ref gave a pen and Jed drove it home for 1-1. We thought it was just a matter of time before we got our noses in front but they had other ideas. A really good inswinging corner went over Bart's head a sailed in but the lino spotted an infringement and ruled the goal out. Make no mistake, that was a very lucky break as I saw nothing to disallow the goal..
We took a collective deep breath and came again. Mahlon and Jed were still looking a threat and they were looking ragged and poor. To add to their desperation they took off the CF and put on Akinfenwa. If ever there was a prize to win for the most overweight, cumbersome and inactive player in the whole football league then Akinfenwa would win by a country mile. He broke into a sweat and had ten deep breaths just to run from the dugout to the other side of the pitch. We saw the desperation in their team and poured forward to score a decent second. Another cross from the right was pushed back to Leonard on the edge of the box and he hammered it home from twenty yards.
They made a couple more subs and Smith had another far post header which came back across the goal and hit the underside of the bar. Bradshaw went off and was replaced by Ben to play in the number ten role. Mahoney went off and was replaced by Fergie. A quickly taken free kick on the half way line by Cooper almost caught their keeper out. He fell into the goal and the netting collapsed and it took the groundsmen several minutes with bits of string and tape to fix it. They huffed and puffed but Bart stayed firm along with the defence. With eight added minutes we brought on Pearce who barked out orders and we saw out the added time to record another three points on the road.

Bart made a colossal mess to gift them a goal but otherwise was OK. Romeo looked solid at the back and was a threat going forward down the right. Hutch was only caught on the wrong side once but other wise was solid. Cooper and Murray Wallace were error free and probably shaded MOM. Woods was neat and tidy and Leonard was hard in the tackle and took his goal well. Mahoney was in and out of the game and rarely looked a threat. Jed, on the other hand was a thorn in their side down the right but gave the ball away cheaply a couple of times. Bradshaw looked busy but never really got a decent chance. Smith had chances but did not make the best of his chances. Ben looked busy and added some urgency for the last fifteen minutes. Fergie looked competent and Pearce helped to shore it up at the death.

They were poor and we were little better for parts of the game. We had some control but got out muscled in the early stages. Some would say that we rode our luck but others would say we can play so much better. The honest truth is we were lucky, especially with the disallowed goal but we won and maybe that is all that mattered. Or was it?
It seems to be a worrying trend that teams are beginning to out muscle us which normally never happens.....we are losing a big part of our game if this continues

robbo555

It seems to be a worrying trend that teams are beginning to out muscle us which normally never happens.....we are losing a big part of our game if this continues

First half they did which was concerning considering we probably have the biggest team in the league in terms of physique and height. Second half we imposed ourselves more and they couldn't handle us.

BigPaul

First half they did which was concerning considering we probably have the biggest team in the league in terms of physique and height. Second half we imposed ourselves more and they couldn't handle us.
I think Wycombe ran out of steam in the second half.
You have to be superhuman to keep up that intensity for 90 minutes.
It was noticeable in the second half. Woods was not surrounded every time he got the ball. Jed and Mahlon found acres to run into after the break.

How Akinfenwa gets a game beggars belief. How he is playing in the same league as Wayne Rooney I’m sure even he doesn’t know.
if he’s a championship footballer my dicks a bloater.

Phlion54

It was noticeable in the second half. Woods was not surrounded every time he got the ball. Jed and Mahlon found acres to run into after the break.

How Akinfenwa gets a game beggars belief. How he is playing in the same league as Wayne Rooney I’m sure even he doesn’t know.
It about sums up wycombe ...full of clowns & the incredible growing forward....an insult to the championship....getting their just desserts

robbo555

Yep Paul. Make you right. Although we were very bad in the first half and played with much more intensity in the second half but they definitely faded, as you say.

Also, I'm more in favour of the "my dick's a kipper" line but each to their own.

33lion

What game were some of you watching?

We started poorly, they made it scrappy for the first 20 mins, got a goal from our goalies rick. But they hadn’t actually created a chance the whole half. Once they scored, it was all Millwall. We ended the half on 62% possession and about 9 attempts on goal.

We come out second half in the same vain, pressure on, knocking the ball out wide and causing havoc in the box. Penalty, and we are back in it and keep the pressure on.

They get a goal disallowed from a corner rather dubiously, but sometimes you need that luck that we didn’t get against Swansea last week. We carried on pushing them, got the second goal and carried on causing them problems despite making defensive subs.

A really encouraging 70 mins from us, away from home and dominated in my opinion, in a different formation than we are used to under GR.

A great 3 points on the road against what many fancied to be a potential banana skin.

Ulster Lion

It about sums up wycombe ...full of clowns & the incredible growing forward....an insult to the championship....getting their just desserts
By the look of him, Akinfenea, has had everybody's desserts. He must get his wages paid in chip shop vouchers.

Reactions: SEL

TheOneAndOnlyGazza

Don't agree it was a fortunate win, probably expectation talking there, that we 'should' steam roller the likes of Wycombe. However even when they are outclassed they make life difficult and if you don't battle they can turn you over. We were troubled at times, but defended well overall.

Hit the woodwork 3 times, Hutchinson could have had an hattrick and an oggie (good save by Bart), Smith made two goals and had three great chances.

Good to see Leonard in that spot on the edge of the Area, time and time again we concede goals when the ball comes out to an unmarked player on the edge of the box, to see us now scoring goals like that shows we are learning.

Have watched back the disallowed goal and agree with the Froada it was a subtle little foul on Bart earlier on as the corner was taken. Kashket had hold of Barts arm around the back of Romeo, a very good spot by the Lino. Trip to Specsavers for Silverlion

midway lion

Thanks Long John, another top class just back, full of good
honestly held opinions and no silly jibes about individual
players to get a reaction. Far and away the best journo on
here. (y)

silverlion

I’ve just watched the extended highlights on the OS app and it showed what a difference our play was from the first and second halves. The first half was very scrappy and we got really drawn in to play the sort of game that they wanted. It also showed what a real lack of quality they had all over the pitch and how few chances they created. It also showed that Fred has very limited skills and he did not show he had much to threaten us. We were right to let him go. I’d failed to point out in my Just Back the poor sliced clearance that led to the penalty. Their defender just hacked it away and provided the perfect pass for Jed to run onto out wide.
i also had a long look at three decisions that could have turned the game. The commentator said that the penalty for the foul on Bradshaw in the box should have been given. He said he has seen them given. The defender pushes his left arm out and nudges Tom off the ball.
The second was our penalty on Smith which was about as nailed as you can get. The third was their goal directly scored from a corner. I have really struggled to see any reason why it was not given. I could see no contact on Bart.
Still, these things even them out over a season and maybe we just got lucky. One other certainty is that they are nailed on for a quick return to League One. They were really poor. Rumour has it that Akinfenwa took everybody to KFC afterwards to celebrate their first Championship goal. He ate a whole bucketful to himself!

mad_mahon

He's playing far too deep to have ant real influence on the game....
I agree, comes down to formation i think. 4-4-2 is a little rigid so woods positioning will be compromised a fair bit. Playing the 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 (however you look at it) puts woods a little further up the field because of the triangles in the formation setup, this leading to more attacking/forward passes.

Jack_MFC

I know our best players are on the wings but we rely too much on wing play. The amount of space there is in the middle and neither woods or Leonard are there to occupy it. It sends me mad every game I watch. The rare occasion one of a our midfielders went forward we scored from it. We even do it when there is 5 at the back which is worse because that’s one less player attacking.

mad_mahon

I know our best players are on the wings but we rely too much on wing play. The amount of space there is in the middle and neither woods or Leonard are there to occupy it. It sends me mad every game I watch. The rare occasion one of a our midfielders went forward we scored from it. We even do it when there is 5 at the back which is worse because that’s one less player attacking.
Wouldn't agree with that last bit, when we have 5 at the back Woods is usually the best player to make things work as he is on the ball more often than not.