Just Back v Huddersfield on iFlop

silverlion

A very disappointing and laboured performance where we got and deserved absolutely nothing.

We made a bright start and pressured them from the off. A decent free kick put them under early pressure and two corners quickly followed. The ref needs to go to Specsavers as there were two consecutive fouls on Hutch and Cooper in our box where both a literally wrestled to the ground. Anywhere else on the pitch and both would have been fouls. It almsot looked as if the ref on one of those occasions said the ball wasn't in play so no foul was committed. We really struggled to make any headway up front. Bradshaw was running around lot but having absolutely no joy against their defence. If I could see that then you would imagine that Pearce could see the same. But he did nothing except to urge Bradshaw on. They quickly realised that we were there for the taking. They did nothing special except push the ball around with purpose. we were running around with our tongues hanging out and they looked as if they had an extra man on the pitch. It didn't take lonh before the warning bells started to ring out. Their 19 was looking a threat. A lucky ricochet fell into his path 25 yards and he teased Bart with a low shot which he dealt with comfortably. They weren't done yet. Some good play in the middle led to a good ball over Molly's head and onto the head of their wide man. He headed it into the box, it fell behind their attacker but there was an onrushing 19 waiting and he swept it into the net over a despairing Hutch for 1-0. We needed to get back into it and a good ball wide left to Molly led to a good cut back to Mahoney but his weak shot was saved well. And the half ended 1-0 to them.

Changes were needed. GR must have noticed that Bradshaw was having a poor day at the office and pulled him off for Smith in the second half. At least the ball might stick up front! We switched to a back four with Murray at LB and Molly playing wide left midfield We tried hard to get back into it but the harder we tried the more difficult it became. It wasn't helped by the fact that we couldn't pass water, let alone the ball. We really struggled to create any meaningful play. They knew that we were running out of legs and just continued to play around us taking ten minutes at every free kick and throw in. We got more frustrated and more desperate at our inablity to break them down. Off came Mahoney and on came Bennett and a bit later Bod came on for Molly. They realised we were a spent force, pushed forward and their 2 scored with a shot which Bart parried but it crept over the line. They were rampant and scored a third at the death with a move which really stretched us. The ref was kind enough to blow the whistle straight after the kick off and we trudged off, looking very sorry for ourselves in defeat.

Bart could do little about he first and third goal but was disappointed to see the second get over the line. Mahlon was forceful in defence and got a yellow for his trouble. He did hit a couple of decent crosses. Hutch was forceful but could do little about the first goal which he almost blocked. Cooper was solid and probably edged MOM but being the least poor defender. Murray was decent but was unable to do anything about the goals conceded. Woods was good in patches and Leonard was similar. Jed was poor and ran into blind alleys, Mahoney went back at times when he should have gone forward and Bradshaw was forgettable. Smith didn't really have any impact, Bennett looked short of shredded wheat and Bod never made any threats on their goal..
Maybe we left some of our energy up at Deepdale and the game lacked tempo and quality from us. The longer it went on the more laboured we looked and the result was not a surprise. Let's hope that GR can inject some zip into them on Monday's training session because on today's display we couldn't beat Dagenham and Redbridge.

kevrelles

A very disappointing and laboured performance where we got and deserved absolutely nothing.

We made a bright start and pressured them from the off. A decent free kick put them under early pressure and two corners quickly followed. The ref needs to go to Specsavers as there were two consecutive fouls on Hutch and Cooper in our box where both a literally wrestled to the ground. Anywhere else on the pitch and both would have been fouls. It almsot looked as if the ref on one of those occasions said the ball wasn't in play so no foul was committed. We really struggled to make any headway up front. Bradshaw was running around lot but having absolutely no joy against their defence. If I could see that then you would imagine that Pearce could see the same. But he did nothing except to urge Bradshaw on. They quickly realised that we were there for the taking. They did nothing special except push the ball around with purpose. we were running around with our tongues hanging out and they looked as if they had an extra man on the pitch. It didn't take lonh before the warning bells started to ring out. Their 19 was looking a threat. A lucky ricochet fell into his path 25 yards and he teased Bart with a low shot which he dealt with comfortably. They weren't done yet. Some good play in the middle led to a good ball over Molly's head and onto the head of their wide man. He headed it into the box, it fell behind their attacker but there was an onrushing 19 waiting and he swept it into the net over a despairing Hutch for 1-0. We needed to get back into it and a good ball wide left to Molly led to a good cut back to Mahoney but his weak shot was saved well. And the half ended 1-0 to them.

Changes were needed. GR must have noticed that Bradshaw was having a poor day at the office and pulled him off for Smith in the second half. At least the ball might stick up front! We switched to a back four with Murray at LB and Molly playing wide left midfield We tried hard to get back into it but the harder we tried the more difficult it became. It wasn't helped by the fact that we couldn't pass water, let alone the ball. We really struggled to create any meaningful play. They knew that we were running out of legs and just continued to play around us taking ten minutes at every free kick and throw in. We got more frustrated and more desperate at our inablity to break them down. Off came Mahoney and on came Bennett and a bit later Bod came on for Molly. They realised we were a spent force, pushed forward and their 2 scored with a shot which Bart parried but it crept over the line. They were rampant and scored a third at the death with a move which really stretched us. The ref was kind enough to blow the whistle straight after the kick off and we trudged off, looking very sorry for ourselves in defeat.

Bart could do little about he first and third goal but was disappointed to see the second get over the line. Mahlon was forceful in defence and got a yellow for his trouble. He did hit a couple of decent crosses. Hutch was forceful but could do little about the first goal which he almost blocked. Cooper was solid and probably edged MOM but being the least poor defender. Murray was decent but was unable to do anything about the goals conceded. Woods was good in patches and Leonard was similar. Jed was poor and ran into blind alleys, Mahoney went back at times when he should have gone forward and Bradshaw was forgettable. Smith didn't really have any impact, Bennett looked short of shredded wheat and Bod never made any threats on their goal..
Maybe we left some of our energy up at Deepdale and the game lacked tempo and quality from us. The longer it went on the more laboured we looked and the result was not a surprise. Let's hope that GR can inject some zip into them on Monday's training session because on today's display we couldn't beat Dagenham and Redbridge.
Cheers silver

rooferboy

What about playing our home games at Fisher, If I was an away team going to the den would fancy my chances big time. Shame on our players

Stowwall

Another home game where we go 5 at the back and prove how negative we are at home. 1 home win all season and that was with 4 at back , a target man and wingers putting crosses in. But that’s not the way our Manager wants to play. He must be happy with being so negative and dull.
Playing like that at home will get us fuck all, apart from slipping down the table.
We have to be on the front foot at home, 5 at the back is OK away from home but a complete and utter fucking joke at home.
Wake up GR take your medicine and sort it out.

mad_mahon

We went 442 just after the 1st goal. And in my opinion lost us the game. We started alright and then I feel the 442 change lost us the game, thought we could've come back with some of the play we was creating up until then. What the hell do I know though :shrug:

lottwall

We went 442 just after the 1st goal. And in my opinion lost us the game. We started alright and then I feel the 442 change lost us the game, thought we could've come back with some of the play we was creating up until then. What the hell do I know though :shrug:
442 with Mahoney wide right , Malone wide left and Bradshaw and Jed in the middle was never gonna work,....... formation would have been good but not like that.

silverlion

I’ve just watched the extended highlights of yesterday’s match. As the game wore on it was very clear that there were several players who were not quite at the races. If you can give 100% for 90 minutes then you can compete but anthing less and you are left wanting. I am sure that Wednesday was a high point getting all three points at Deepdale but it looked as if it had taken the edge off our play yesterda.
Even though
Preston was a 7.00 ko and by the time the game was over and they had left the ground it was probably 10.00. A four hour drive back to the Den and then drive to you own home I am sure that many wouldn’t have got to bed until three. And as we all know, if you have young kids they are up and ready to go at 7 so it would have been a short night. Add to that Huddersfield played well and we didn’t and the reasons for the loss are very apparent. I am sure that GR cannot wait to get his tracksuit back on and get to the training ground on Monday morning and add some energy and focus to the training session. We have the opportunity to put it all behind us on Tuesday....if we can!

STWall

It was as they say a “bad day at the office”. Poor defending for their first and a mistake by Bart for the second. Chasing the game meant 3 on 2 fir the third. We all enjoyed the win at Preston and waxed lyrical. That was an ‘up’ and this obviously a ‘down’ and yes it’s disappointing but that’s life in all it’s walks. Enjoy the good times and roll with the bad. Look at Jonathan Fear! He doesn’t moan and rant about it; he deals with it constructively so good luck and best wishes to him. Let’s take a leaf out of his book eh?
COYLS 👍

whiskylion

442 with Mahoney wide right , Malone wide left and Bradshaw and Jed in the middle was never gonna work,....... formation would have been good but not like that.
The idea of our two wingers playing on their opposite wings in order to cut in was doomed to failure from the start.

If the defence know that is your game, they will just close ranks so you will run into traffic each time and never get your shot away.

To make it work, you need someone with guile up front to either make runs to make space or have a great touch to create neat 1-2 with the winger. Bradshaw, having zero presence in the box and even less confidence, was never going to be that man.

So it therefore needed a central midfielder to link up with that move. And as usual, neither central midfielder ever got far enough up the pitch to to join in.It was screaming for Woods to be there to play the clever ball, but he rarely got beyond the halfway line.

Our first-half tactics made no sense to me. And unless we scored from a set piece, there was no way of seeing where a goal was likely to come from in open play.

Oh, one other thing. Having the wingers constantly heading inside narrowed our play. Part of our success at Preston was that we held the touchlines and made the pitch wide, thereby creating space for those inside.

Yesterday, mysteriously, we did the exact opposite.

Last edited:

DensLions

Another home game where we go 5 at the back and prove how negative we are at home. 1 home win all season and that was with 4 at back , a target man and wingers putting crosses in. But that’s not the way our Manager wants to play. He must be happy with being so negative and dull.
Your post is almost a repeat of what I was going to say. Two home games running against teams lower than us in the league and we are set up as if we are playing away to the top team. GR has got the shape right for away games but he has got to change it for home matches. This rotation system isn't working either. He should be selecting the same players for each game barring injuries or suspension.I

robbo555

Having reflected on Saturday, I don't think we would have lost 3-0 if Rowett was on the touchline. That is no reflection on Pearce or Williams. There is no doubt that watching remotely via TV is a totally different experience to being at the game. For a start you can see what the cameras don't show and as a manager, you can communicate directly and instantly with the players rather than by phone with messages possibly getting relayed via a couple of people.

That is no excuse for the performance, which was total shit. We have not had our arsehole handed to us by any team in the Rowett era and let's be honest, we went to pieces in the latter part of the game.

I am aware that we played well against Preston and Rowett wasn't in charge for that and I accept that. I think, however, that playing away and having a set gameplay that suits us is a different situation to being at home and having to chase the game and changing things quickly.

I may well be pissing in the wind a bit but it was unlike any performance I have witnessed since Rowett became the boss.