Just Back V Bournemouth on iFlop

silverlion

A good point which could so easily have been three points.

A decent performance and a solid start with some good pressure. Ken looked the part up front and Polly looked lively. They had other ideas. A couple of decent long balls almost found us wanting. They were fluent on the ball and a little bit complacent thinking that is was just a matter of time. We defended solidly and pushed forward well. A great through ball to Jed from Woods had him one on one with the keeper but the keeper spread himself well and the save was made. We had a decent spell of about five minutes where we had a couple of corners. Cooper had a decent far post header and it was deflected for another corner. This one finds Leonard on the far post in space but his shot went over.
On 25 a Hutch header from a corner was headed off the line. A good through ball from Danny found Polly but his poor touch let him down. We continued to press forward and won a free kick just outside the box. Jed took hit and it came back from the wall to Molly who was falling over but scrambled it just wide. Jed picked up a good ball on the left and hit it over, Molly miscued it but it fell kindly for Danny but his fierce shot was blocked. We were into a minute added on in the first half and they scored, against the run of play. The ball was passed down the middle, their attacker rolled Hutch, knocked it out to Solanke who hit a fierce shot which beat Bart at the near post. It looked as if it would be scoreless at the break but they went in one up. It was shocking time to conceded a goal.

We came out second half determined to get back into it. Jed made a fast break down the line and squared it to Polly who was well marked and the ball ran away from him. We continued to push forward and Ken was wrestled to the ground just outside the box. He took the free kick himself, the wall jumped and the ball hit the post. It was time for fresh legs. GR was going for it and off went Ken for Smith, Bod for Polly and Bennett for Pearce and we went fouor at the back. We continued to press and got a free kick on the half way line. Hutch smashed it forward, Bod got the faintest of touches and Smith tapped it past the keeper for 1-1. It was no more than we deserved. To shore it up Ben came on for Jed with 6 to go and we played the added four minutes out with no drama.

Bart hardly had a save to make and will probably be disappointed to be beaten at his near post. Danny had a storming game and probably shaded MOM with his energy and solid play. Hutch would have been disappointed to have been rolled before their goal but had a decent game. The same could be said for Pearce and Cooper. Molly looked solid and got forward well on a couple of occasions. Woods played OK and Leonard put in a couple of decent and solid tackles. Jed did not have his best game. He misplaced several passes, wants to play back when he should be going forward and missed a great chance to score in the first half. Ken looked the part with some good play to lead the line and Polly tried but showed his inexperience at times.
Smith took his goal well, Bod was busy and Bennett had a couple of touches. Ben looked busy but hardly broke sweat.

A good point on the road when some were forecasting doom and gloom. With the rub of the green we would have taken all three points and we certainly were not outclassed by a side with some premiership quality in their ranks. I really hope that his performance has given us confidence, built some momentum after the cup win and we can go to Forest on Saturday and repeat last season's score.

norwichmark

Agree with that silver, I would prefer Ben to jed, Jed is no winger. Glad he got hooked off near the end cos that’s when he’s a liability.we have found a replacement for Romeo, now Jed. Sell em both .

whiskylion

More than a decent performance I thought, Silver. We were brilliant.

We were better than the team third in the table stuffed full of ex-Premier League players.

We looked like a pretty high class Championship side ourselves tonight.

We now have to keep that standard if football going. Starting with only one change in the next match: Parrott has done nothing to justify his inclusion. He was simply dreadful this evening. He might have noted that Smith scored because he got himself in a goalscoring position. Parrots is everywhere except where he should be: in the box.

I'd start with Malone's chum on Saturday.

STWall

More than a decent performance I thought, Silver. We were brilliant.

We were better than the team third in the table stuffed full of ex-Premier League players.

We looked like a pretty high class Championship side ourselves tonight.

We now have to keep that standard if football going. Starting with only one change in the next match: Parrott has done nothing to justify his inclusion. He was simply dreadful this evening. He might have noted that Smith scored because he got himself in a goalscoring position. Parrots is everywhere except where he should be: in the box.

I'd start with Malone's chum on Saturday.
Well he did get a hatrick last time Jim 👍😉

33lion

A top performance, couldn’t ask for too much more.

Really unlucky to go down at half time, Jed has to finish that 1 on 1. It’s a criminal miss, sums him up at the moment.

The difference I think was made tonight by two players - Danny MacNamara and Ryan Leonard. Their energy and commitment got us going and started several attacks. Top drawer from them both.

I feel for Parrott, I want him to be given a shot up top. Asking him to play wide, track back, receive the ball in an unnatural position for him is not allowing him to do his ability any justice. Play him central; he will score if given chances in the box I’m sure of it.

One criticism for tonight involves the subs (despite Smith scoring, hear me out!). When Stanislas went off and was replaced by Billing, a big holding midfielder, we should have brought Ben on straight away. We had started to go flat and needed the legs in midfield. I understood bringing Smith on to a degree, but Bodvarsson? Don’t get it. For me, Bradshaw had to come on, again for the legs, energy that we would have benefited from. Bodvarsson, as much as I don’t doubt his effort, is a chugger. He runs at 1 speed, no turn of pace, not the sort of player you want on the pitch when you’re trying to nick the ball off of a possession based team and spark a quick attack.

All in all however I’m very happy with the performance and effort today.

Lion-in-exile

Thanks Silver, some things I have seen recently.

Bart is starting to make mistakes, apparently he was the same at Ipswich, first season fabulous, 2nd season gets complacent, 3rd season he starts throwing them in!

Danny Mac is 10 times the player Romeo is, Mahlon can fuck off to Orient then Fisher because that is his level.

We don't have the players to play a 2 man center midfield, pick any 3 from Thompson, Leonard, Woods and Mitchell.
Drop Wallace, he is so out of form it's ridiculous, our wing play is Blackheath standard, play 3 in the middle and let Danny Mac and Malone provide the width.

Parrott is no better than Bradshaw or Bodvarsson, get rid and spend the wages on a proper striker!!

kevrelles

A good point which could so easily have been three points.

A decent performance and a solid start with some good pressure. Ken looked the part up front and Polly looked lively. They had other ideas. A couple of decent long balls almost found us wanting. They were fluent on the ball and a little bit complacent thinking that is was just a matter of time. We defended solidly and pushed forward well. A great through ball to Jed from Woods had him one on one with the keeper but the keeper spread himself well and the save was made. We had a decent spell of about five minutes where we had a couple of corners. Cooper had a decent far post header and it was deflected for another corner. This one finds Leonard on the far post in space but his shot went over.
On 25 a Hutch header from a corner was headed off the line. A good through ball from Danny found Polly but his poor touch let him down. We continued to press forward and won a free kick just outside the box. Jed took hit and it came back from the wall to Molly who was falling over but scrambled it just wide. Jed picked up a good ball on the left and hit it over, Molly miscued it but it fell kindly for Danny but his fierce shot was blocked. We were into a minute added on in the first half and they scored, against the run of play. The ball was passed down the middle, their attacker rolled Hutch, knocked it out to Solanke who hit a fierce shot which beat Bart at the near post. It looked as if it would be scoreless at the break but they went in one up. It was shocking time to conceded a goal.

We came out second half determined to get back into it. Jed made a fast break down the line and squared it to Polly who was well marked and the ball ran away from him. We continued to push forward and Ken was wrestled to the ground just outside the box. He took the free kick himself, the wall jumped and the ball hit the post. It was time for fresh legs. GR was going for it and off went Ken for Smith, Bod for Polly and Bennett for Pearce and we went fouor at the back. We continued to press and got a free kick on the half way line. Hutch smashed it forward, Bod got the faintest of touches and Smith tapped it past the keeper for 1-1. It was no more than we deserved. To shore it up Ben came on for Jed with 6 to go and we played the added four minutes out with no drama.

Bart hardly had a save to make and will probably be disappointed to be beaten at his near post. Danny had a storming game and probably shaded MOM with his energy and solid play. Hutch would have been disappointed to have been rolled before their goal but had a decent game. The same could be said for Pearce and Cooper. Molly looked solid and got forward well on a couple of occasions. Woods played OK and Leonard put in a couple of decent and solid tackles. Jed did not have his best game. He misplaced several passes, wants to play back when he should be going forward and missed a great chance to score in the first half. Ken looked the part with some good play to lead the line and Polly tried but showed his inexperience at times.
Smith took his goal well, Bod was busy and Bennett had a couple of touches. Ben looked busy but hardly broke sweat.

A good point on the road when some were forecasting doom and gloom. With the rub of the green we would have taken all three points and we certainly were not outclassed by a side with some premiership quality in their ranks. I really hope that his performance has given us confidence, built some momentum after the cup win and we can go to Forest on Saturday and repeat last season's score.
Cheers silver

onlyagame

I’d like to see Mahoney and Mac partnering each other down the right. I think they have the skill and brains to open up teams in a way Jed and Romeo can’t !
Here we go again, If Mahoney is a better footballer than Jed I’ll start watching netball. Yes Jed missed the one on one but he rode the tackle to set himself up which no one else would have done. Did you see when he got chopped down in the second half but he just got up and got on with it? Mahoney would have rolled about then started combing his hair. Opinions? Yes, but he’s our top scorer this season, had the second most assists in the division last season & people still want to c*** him off. Unbelievable! This is Millwall ffs. Mahoney has scored a couple of decent goals and put in a couple of cameo performances but he’s underperformed as many times as he’s played well. Jed can’t open teams up? He does it for fun & he did it tonight but just took the wrong option trying to nutmeg the keeper

33lion

Here we go again, If Mahoney is a better footballer than Jed I’ll start watching netball. Yes Jed missed the one on one but he rode the tackle to set himself up which no one else would have done. Did you see when he got chopped down in the second half but he just got up and got on with it? Mahoney would have rolled about then started combing his hair. Opinions? Yes, but he’s our top scorer this season, had the second most assists in the division last season & people still want to c*** him off. Unbelievable! This is Millwall ffs. Mahoney has scored a couple of decent goals and put in a couple of cameo performances but he’s underperformed as many times as he’s played well. Jed can’t open teams up? He does it for fun & he did it tonight but just took the wrong option trying to nutmeg the keeper

Saying you want to see Mahoney and MacNamara down the right doesn’t mean Jed out, necessarily. I think Jed is spending so much time in a free roam lately that he may as well be deployed as a 10 rather than wide anyway.

Eamon Dunphys tackle

Cheers Silver. Good report as usual.
I would drop Jed to the bench for a spell as things are not happening for him at the moment.
Bringing him and Smiffy on during a game could be good as they can have an effect.

Ulster Lion

Cheers for the report, Silver. Very much appreciated.
Going by all the comments, it seems we certainly deserved the 3 points this evening, but hearing McNamara played so well is a great result for us, despite the draw. I hope his performance is the start of a great future for him with us.
Very pleased to hear that Leonard done a good job... Roll on Forest.

Life with the Lions

onlyagame, it’s not about cunting Jed off, it’s about what the supporters (and no doubt the manager and his fellow team mates) expect of him as a midfield player. You’re right, Jed is our top scorer, and when he’s on form, is our best player, and as our best player, is expected by the supporters that revere him, to lead by example and give 110% every time he goes out onto the pitch!

Now, sometimes that 110% effort is there and sometimes it’s not, but it’s that inconsistency, along with making final decisions that seem to end up being the wrong ones, which has stopped one of the big boys coming in for Jed. Those scouts know, as we do, that Jed has the talent, but not always the application.

How many times has Jed done all the hard work, winning the ball, only to then take an extra touch that’s not needed, and lose the ball to the opposition player? How many times should he have passed to a team mate who’s in a better position to score, but instead took it on himself for the glory, only to see the end result go badly wrong? How many of those wrong decisions have stopped him scoring extra goals that would have turned losses into draws and draws into wins?

Do you seriously believe that any of the strikers in the Championship top 6, when faced with a one on one with the opposition goal keeper, would NUTMEG him, rather than taking the easiest and most logical action, which would be to dink the ball over the keeper and into the net? Of course they wouldn’t. They’d have taken the easiest option every time!

Its instances like that, and the others I’ve mentioned, is why Jed gets the stick that he does. For a confident, talented footballer, with a good footballer’s brain, the game should be easy to play. Why is it then, with Jed possessing that talent, he sometimes makes the game so, so hard for himself?

Bromleywalltj

Let's not start to slash off Bart now for fuck sakes.
He is still a bloody good keeper and yes he has made the odd mistake so come on give him some slack.

silverlion

Just watched the extended highlights which shows what a good performance it was from us. How we never came away with all three points is anybody’s guess. All of the players put in a great shift and it was good to see that Ken lasted 78 minutes and didn’t look completely cream crackered when he was subbed.
Jed did not have a good game. He has some great skills and can run all day but can be a liability when he has possession in a tight area. In the first half he had the ball tight on the right. Instead of turning and using his pace to get down the line he hit a very ambitious cross field pass which was intercepted by them and enabled them to set up another attack. He did a great job to find space and get downfield with a one on one with their keeper but he chose badly trying to nutmeg his shot.
I also agree with Whisky when he said that Polly brings very little to the table. In tight situations he continually chooses the wrong options and does not have the physicality to out muscle his marker. Bennett wide left has more to offer as a starter.
An excellent point on the road against a side that will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

SEL

Cheers silver good report.
I really don't think Bart could have done much about that goal. With your back to goal positioning yourself to be spot on to protect that near post isn't easy and that shot came in quite fierce as silver noted.
That doesn't excuse some of his other mistakes however but he is still a good keeper to have.
Jeds miss was dire. He practically shot it at the keeper when he should have dinked it over the keeper or taken it wide. He needs some competition too.
Agree about Parrott. We don't have time to raise someone else's striker who puts in woeful performances. Time to go back. Offers nothing more than our owned forwards.