Just Back v Blackburn on iFlop

silverlion

Staff member
A really poor first half, a better scond half but still a disappointing defeat.

We started OK. There was some good movement down the left from Molly and Bennett but there was very little down the right. Bod was trying hard to make an impact but was having little joy. They realised that thery could push the ball around at will and get us really stretched. Their 39 was only about 5 foot 7 but he was lively and we were having trouble containing him. Their Gallagher was playing wide left and was giving Romeo a run for his money. All in all we were being pressed back and having little joy going forward. We were helping their cause by playing poor passes or giving the ball away in the middle and it honestly looked just a matter of time. And so it proved to be. No surprise it was Bradley Dack who was the thorn in our side again. He had too much room on the edge of the box. Evans closed him down but he pulled the ball across to his right. His shot was covered by Bart but it took a deflection off Hutch and found the top corner. They now had a cushion and just kept us at bay. The only chance we had in the whole first half came from a corner and fell to Jed but his chip was easily saved. And so the half ended with them one up.

I am sure that GR realised we were short of legs and I was surprised that he made no changes after the break.. However, we started brightly with a Molly free kick from the right. It was back heeled by Jed but nothing came of the clever piece of play.. After ten minutes GR had seen enough and off went Mitchell and on came Smith. We moved to a back four with Evans moving forward into midfield. A decent move down the left from Woods put Molly in the clear and his decent cross was headed wide by Smith. A few minutes later a free kick fell to Molly but his shot was easily saved. A decent knock on by Bennett was knocked over by Bod. GR needed more fresh legs so off went Bennett Jed and Mahlon and on came Burey Danny and Fergie.
We had some pace down the right and were looking to exploit this for an equaliser. And then we pushed the self destruct button. Some poor interplay down the right by Hutch and Cooper let them into it. A sharp cross in the box cannoned off Cooper, hit their Gallagher on the chest and flew into the net.

We tried to press back. A good ball from Fergie to Molly produced a decent cross but Smith's shot was blocked. Another good cross saw a nod down to Evans but his shot was wide.A corner quickly followed from Molly and a touch by Bod on the near post sailed over.With 3 to go Molly burst into the box but his shot hit the post and the follow up from Bod was saved. With 2 to go Williams came on for Woods but the game was lost by then and the 5 added minutes were played out without drama.

Bart made a couple of decent saves but could do little about the two he conceded. Romeo tried but lacked a bit of energy down the right. Hutch was solid along with Cooper but unspectacular and Evans had a fair game. Molly shaded MOM as he never gave up right through to the end to score. Woods was tidy and Mitchell tried hard but didn't have the impact he had on Tuesday. Jed was as poor as I have ever seen him. He never created one moment of threat and gave the ball away more times than he retained it. Bennett had a couple of moments but rarely threatened and Bod ran his nuts off but never threatened either. Smith gave us focus but missed a good chance. Fergie and Molly combined well on the left but never really fashioned a chance. Burey did very little and Williams hardly broke sweat.

All in all a performance which lacked energy and drive. They had plenty of gas in their tank and had made 6 changes to their starting line up to give them plenty of pep. Our unchanged line up had run out of gas after 15 minutes and we never recovered and they were worthy winners. At least we have a whole week to recover, maybe get some fresh legs in the team and head up to Derby with a spring in our step. The defeat was certainly something that GR did not want on his 45th birthday!

A really poor first half, a better scond half but still a disappointing defeat.

We started OK. There was some good movement down the left from Molly and Bennett but there was very little down the right. Bod was trying hard to make an impact but was having little joy. They realised that thery could push the ball around at will and get us really stretched. Their 39 was only about 5 foot 7 but he was lively and we were having trouble containing him. Their Gallagher was playing wide left and was giving Romeo a run for his money. All in all we were being pressed back and having little joy going forward. We were helping their cause by playing poor passes or giving the ball away in the middle and it honestly looked just a matter of time. And so it proved to be. No surprise it was Bradley Dack who was the thorn in our side again. He had too much room on the edge of the box. Evans closed him down but he pulled the ball across to his right. His shot was covered by Bart but it took a deflection off Hutch and found the top corner. They now had a cushion and just kept us at bay. The only chance we had in the whole first half came from a corner and fell to Jed but his chip was easily saved. And so the half ended with them one up.

I am sure that GR realised we were short of legs and I was surprised that he made no changes after the break.. However, we started brightly with a Molly free kick from the right. It was back heeled by Jed but nothing came of the clever piece of play.. After ten minutes GR had seen enough and off went Mitchell and on came Smith. We moved to a back four with Evans moving forward into midfield. A decent move down the left from Woods put Molly in the clear and his decent cross was headed wide by Smith. A few minutes later a free kick fell to Molly but his shot was easily saved. A decent knock on by Bennett was knocked over by Bod. GR needed more fresh legs so off went Bennett Jed and Mahlon and on came Burey Danny and Fergie.
We had some pace down the right and were looking to exploit this for an equaliser. And then we pushed the self destruct button. Some poor interplay down the right by Hutch and Cooper let them into it. A sharp cross in the box cannoned off Cooper, hit their Gallagher on the chest and flew into the net.

We tried to press back. A good ball from Fergie to Molly produced a decent cross but Smith's shot was blocked. Another good cross saw a nod down to Evans but his shot was wide.A corner quickly followed from Molly and a touch by Bod on the near post sailed over.With 3 to go Molly burst into the box but his shot hit the post and the follow up from Bod was saved. With 2 to go Williams came on for Woods but the game was lost by then and the 5 added minutes were played out without drama.

Bart made a couple of decent saves but could do little about the two he conceded. Romeo tried but lacked a bit of energy down the right. Hutch was solid along with Cooper but unspectacular and Evans had a fair game. Molly shaded MOM as he never gave up right through to the end to score. Woods was tidy and Mitchell tried hard but didn't have the impact he had on Tuesday. Jed was as poor as I have ever seen him. He never created one moment of threat and gave the ball away more times than he retained it. Bennett had a couple of moments but rarely threatened and Bod ran his nuts off but never threatened either. Smith gave us focus but missed a good chance. Fergie and Molly combined well on the left but never really fashioned a chance. Burey did very little and Williams hardly broke sweat.

All in all a performance which lacked energy and drive. They had plenty of gas in their tank and had made 6 changes to their starting line up to give them plenty of pep. Our unchanged line up had run out of gas after 15 minutes and we never recovered and they were worthy winners. At least we have a whole week to recover, maybe get some fresh legs in the team and head up to Derby with a spring in our step. The defeat was certainly something that GR did not want on his 45th birthday!
Cheers silver.

“Hutch was solid”?

I thought both goals originated for Hutch not clearing a ball or having a poor pass/clearance intercepted! Throw in his poor pass that lead to Preston’s goal and that’s the last 3 goals we’ve conceded all stem in part or whole from Hutch mistakes.

He’s clearly not comfortable playing the ball out from the back but if GR stays and wants to continue playing this way I think Hutch should be replaced.

The game followed a similar pattern to most of what has been served up this season. Run ragged and second to most loose balls. The idea of playing out from the back does not work with what we have at our disposal, therefore in the main we are launching long to the likes of Bod the wimp and Bennett who needs a playmaker alongside.
Jed is hardly noticeable , makes little impact on any game I have seen this season. So without an inclination up front you are never going to press whoever you play. Rowett cannot be blamed for the injuries but the changes he makes offer nothing different. If fans were in attendance reckon he would have gone under the pressure.

“Hutch was solid”?

I thought both goals originated for Hutch not clearing a ball or having a poor pass/clearance intercepted! Throw in his poor pass that lead to Preston’s goal and that’s the last 3 goals we’ve conceded all stem in part or whole from Hutch mistakes.

He’s clearly not comfortable playing the ball out from the back but if GR stays and wants to continue playing this way I think Hutch should be replaced.
Hutch was awful. And Cooper was very jittery beside him.

Smith aside, I thought they were bizarre substitutions. Wallace, Romeo and Bennett were our best performers - and off they go. I didn't think we were too bad overall - just an abject lack of quality.

Many thanks for the report, Silver. Was dreading your take on it, as it seemed that not everyone gave their all. You've certainly confirmed that.

Just watched the extended highlights which just confirm we were just short of legs for most of the game. The big opportunity to level the game fell to Smith who headed wide in the second half. It almost looked easier to score. That could have been a game changer. The penalty claim by Dack was not a penalty. Woods just gets a toe to the ball and that is confirmed by the ref who gave a corner. It was tight, and I have seen them given, but it was not a penalty.
However, we were second best to them all over the park. It was a poor second goal to concede and Cooper should have just hoofed it upfield instead of a risky pass to Hutch. We tried really hard to get back into it late on but it just wasn’t to be. We now have a whole week to get some energy back into our legs, maybe get one or two back from injury and go again up at Derby.

Just seen GR's comments after the game, and apart from highlighting the players missing, and fatigue in the squad he spoke again about the lack of quality in and around the box.
He works with the players every day, surely its up to him to improve them and get some to be more clinical and positive in the final third.
It's the same thing every week, and he fails to address it in training.

“Hutch was solid”?

This 👆
He's a liability! He's control,passing and movement is shocking. We need to buy a younger more mobile cb who can manage a 5 yd pass to play alongside Cooper for next season

Hutch was awful. And Cooper was very jittery beside him.
I know Evans as settled in well but Rowett did say initially that he was signed to play in midfield. Hutch and Cooper seem more uncertain with him playing alongside them.. Perhaps their performances will improve when Murray is fit again?

No way is Evans a midfielder. Twice he's been moved into midfield during games and both times completely disappeared.

Just watched the highlights and wonder did anyone notice that Smith should have had a pen towards the end of the game. They blocked his shot almost on the goal line and as he moved towards it as it was going over the bye line he was tripped!

Just watched the highlights and wonder did anyone notice that Smith should have had a pen towards the end of the game. They blocked his shot almost on the goal line and as he moved towards it as it was going over the bye line he was tripped!
I noticed it as well. We never get those decisions. Especially towards the end of the game.