How long have you been going Wall?

First game 1968 Charlton away lost 1-0 Alan Cambell scored.

Just a blip and normal service was shortly to be resumed...

A few months later, on a glorious, sunny August afternoon, and the opening game of the next season (also my first away game), we beat Charlton 3-4. We also won the home game, 3-2.

Incidentally, the spotters just missed out on promotion to second place Palace that season. Our double helped balls up their season, just as our double helped relegate them last season (sorry, season before). It seems things haven't changed much in just over 50 years between us and our SE7 friends.
:smoke:

This will be my 44th season, i think it was against Stoke in 77 that my old man decided to blood me. Didn't pay much attention to the games at first as i was probably a bit to young, but more the fact that i was fascinated by the place and people. Seeing the pitch in all it's glory for the first time was fucking superb as i'd only ever seen bits and pieces on the telly. There was a fair crowd that day and lots of swearing and laughter. I got a program and a bag of nuts and was told to by man old man not to fuck about and behave :hehe: What's your story/ memories of your first time?
38 years mate. Average 20-30 games per season although last season fcked that up a bit. First game was at Hine to Plymouth in Sept 83. Won 1-0. Who else? Stevie Lovell.

Saw a couple of games with my dad late 60s , maybe I was too young didn't make much impression but went to fa cup game in 72 with my dad and a couple uncles we beat forest 3-1 the atmosphere was unbelievable and was hooked forever , wouldn't change a thing no matter how many ups and downs , can't even be bothered to watch a game now unless it involves us

First game was at Hine to Plymouth in Sept 83. Won 1-0. Who else? Stevie Lovell.
He also got the only goal for us away at Plymouth later that season. The following season he went on that great run scoring in eleven consecutive games. He scored twenty odd league goals and four in the fa cup that same season, not bad for a player accustomed to playing right back or midfield and on a free from the nigels.

Last edited:
Since the start of 74 - 75.

I wasn’t great at school football, or as a centre half (I played there on account of me being one of the tallest in my year), so, during PE lessons, I got bollocked by my team mates if I went up and lost a header, or didn’t defend my near post properly! Not wanting the ear ache from my team mates, I thought I would try and be the best I could at it, so I asked my old man who was a good centre half, at his side Millwall, and he said, “Barry Kitchener.”

So I said that I’d like to see this “Kitch” (as my old man kept calling him), but the summer holidays were about to start, so I had to wait for the start of the 74 - 75 season.

I can remember getting a bit excited when my old man showed me the full fixture list for that season, as I was looking forward to seeing Man Utd at The Den. I’d heard the stories about their European Cup win, and couldn’t quite believe I would be seeing them down at The Den.

First ever game, first ever home match…..first ever defeat (1 - 4 by Sunderland), first ever relegation! Oh, and one manager at the start of the season, and a new one by the end! Can’t remember much about the game, except I was gutted Kitch didn’t play in that (my) first game! I did see Kitch play for the first time, two days later, again at home, when Wall beat Nottingham Forest 3 - 0, and during that season I could see how my old man was right about him - Kitch was an old school professional who the Wall faithful knew would run through a brick wall if it was necessary (was absolutely gutted when he left us, and even more so by his death in 2012).

Yes, I got to see players like Bryan King and Gordon Hill (both playing their last season with us), ‘Arry Boy (1st and only appearance that season), Alf Wood, etc. but Kitch was my favourite Wall player at the time, and is still, for me, one of Wall’s greatest ever centre halves!

One thing I found out later, but Kitch shared the same birthday with my old man - 11th December!

As Greavsie would often say, “It’s a funny old game!”

1956, taken by my Godmother, my younger brother went as well. My Godmother started in 1948 is now 91 years of age and is a season ticket holder. I wonder if she is our oldest attending supporter? Her home is filled with Millwall items, on her front door is a sign that says “Millwall supporter lives here” better than the beware of dog sign. The people of the village she lives in refer to her as Millwall.
Quality mate.

Saw my first Millwall game when I was 10 in 1953. My Dad used to work 3 Saturdays in 4 and if he was off when Millwall were at Home he would take me so only saw a handful of matches for the next 3 years, Then in 1956 I got myself a paper round and used the money to got to every Home game from then on. I havn't been for the last 8 years due to ill health.
That's sad mate you can't get there no more.

Members online