How come people can go church and we can’t go football

Windy8174

Just went for our walk with the wife and the church on well hall road had people taking in a service inside

how can people go church inside and we cannot go football which is outside

I really do not get it surely there is more chance of catching Covid in a church service than a football stadium

Tony Dolby can you help me with the science behind that decision mate

whiskylion

Just went for our walk with the wife and the church on well hall road had people taking in a service inside

I really do not get it surely there is more chance of catching Covid in a church service than a football stadium

They can attend in limited numbers. But not sing.

tony_dolby

Strictly speaking, places of worship can only be open if they are 'COVID secure'. All worshippers should wear masks, there should be no singing, no shared communion vessels, prayer mats, hymn books etc. The building should be disinfected if used again within 48 hours. People should observe 2m distancing or at least 1m etc. etc. etc. All these things would be impossible at a football match even though it's outside.

Even then, at a football match only the players are truly 'outside' in the COVID sense of the word. We sit crammed together in a covered stand and we mingle together on the concourse.

These new test events will be key because it will give some nice hard data on the issue of mass gatherings and the best way to allow them again as quickly as possible.

Windy8174

Strictly speaking, places of worship can only be open if they are 'COVID secure'. All worshippers should wear masks, there should be no singing, no shared communion vessels, prayer mats, hymn books etc. The building should be disinfected if used again within 48 hours. People should observe 2m distancing or at least 1m etc. etc. etc. All these things would be impossible at a football match even though it's outside.
Thank you my voice of Covid reason

tony_dolby

but the rules for being outside shouldnt be as strict as they are for inside events....

Indeed. But all events have a nexus between 'inside' and 'outside'. In football this is the concourse which is unavoidable. Someone needs to come up with a solution to this as soon as possible.

The most important thing to do is to understand that COVID is here to stay and people are going to die from it.

Guernsey Wall

Because whoever believes in h

Because whoever believes in him shall not perish and have eternal life...........it’s obvious really.....next!

The Royal Archer

Yes it is the power of prayer.
If the worshippers faith is so strong they should be supremely confident that their God will protect them from Covid on the way to church, during the service and the journey home.

Stowwall

but the rules for being outside shouldnt be as strict as they are for inside events....
Indeed. But thank your lucky stars you don't live in Spain. For various reasons, but currently anyone over the age of six has to wear a mask OUTSIDE, even on the beach.
Utter madness, they've been wearing masks throughout and still have rising case rates. And people think our Govt are the only ones to have got things wrong.

tony_dolby

Indeed. But thank your lucky stars you don't live in Spain. For various reasons, but currently anyone over the age of six has to wear a mask OUTSIDE, even on the beach.
Utter madness, they've been wearing masks throughout and still have rising case rates. And people think our Govt are the only ones to have got things wrong.

That is insane! Children should be outside playing with their friends and forgetting all about COVID.

BigPaul

That is insane! Children should be outside playing with their friends and forgetting all about COVID.
I saw a family up the forest yesterday.
Mum, Dad, two kids aged about 8 and 10 yrs.
All 4 of them fully muzzled. FFS.
They looked as miserable as sin, and who can blame them?

Come on kids, let's go for a nice walk in the fresh air, it'll be good for you!
Oh, first you have to put on this filthy muzzle to stop you enjoying yourself!

How did people become this stupid?
I bet they thought I was wrong not to have a mask on the dog!

Halfwaybear

Sturgeon changed the rules for worship in Scotland, she allowed the amount of people to attend services to be up to 50 with all the limitations as described in TD’s post.

She changed it just before Easter so that she could get a pat on the back from all the old dears just before the election coming up.