Graham Brown late 60s possibly?

Anyone remember this keeper? Apparently joined us just before Bryan King came on the scene? Well before my time but was having a beer tonight with a geezer that used to work with Graham when he joined Millwall.

I can't remember the bloke to tell the truth but he did play in a League Cup match back in 64 for some reason. Presumably he can't have been much cop cos when Stepney was called up for an England under 23 cap in 65 we used the appalling Brian Gambrill who IIRC was an amateur from the Paras. Despite losing 4-1 at home to Peterborough in that game (also a League Cup fixture) we still called on Gambrill for the last, luckily irrelevant, game of the season at Grimsby where he predictably let in another two. If Brown was worse than Gambrill then he must have been pretty iffy.

The Humble One - 9/3/2018 04:09

I can't remember the bloke to tell the truth but he did play in a League Cup match back in 64 for some reason. Presumably he can't have been much cop cos when Stepney was called up for an England under 23 cap in 65 we used the appalling Brian Gambrill who IIRC was an amateur from the Paras. Despite losing 4-1 at home to Peterborough in that game (also a League Cup fixture) we still called on Gambrill for the last, luckily irrelevant, game of the season at Grimsby where he predictably let in another two. If Brown was worse than Gambrill then he must have been pretty iffy.
Nice one - thanks for that! Apparently he joined us from The Midland Bank! Different world back then!

whiskylion

Yes, you are quite right. He played in a League Cup replay for Millwall against Brighton in September 1964 - and kept a clean sheet, making him one of an extremely select band of goalkeepers to have worn a Millwall first team shirt but never concede a goal.

Something he didn't quite manage: I have the programme for his debut as a Millwall Reserve keeper at home to Coventry - when five went past him. In all I have 17 programmes for games in which he played as he appeared to be our second choice keeper for season 1964-65. Gambrill came in for a game or two at the start of 1965, then towards the end of the season Graham Dyer was preferred, and he remained our reserve team keeper for 1965/66, sharing duties with Gambrel as Brown had evidently departed by then.

whiskylion - 9/3/2018 11:10

Yes, you are quite right. He played in a League Cup replay for Millwall against Brighton in September 1964 - and kept a clean sheet, making him one of an extremely select band of goalkeepers to have worn a Millwall first team shirt but never concede a goal.

Something he didn't quite manage: I have the programme for his debut as a Millwall Reserve keeper at home to Coventry - when five went past him. In all I have 17 programmes for games in which he played as he appeared to be our second choice keeper for season 1964-65. Gambrill came in for a game or two at the start of 1965, then towards the end of the season Graham Dyer was preferred, and he remained our reserve team keeper for 1965/66, sharing duties with Gambrel as Brown had evidently departed by then.
Thanks both - I will pass this on to his mate Dave (the bloke I was having a beer with) - he'll be thrilled that people still have a record of him. Dave used to watch us at the old place but has never been since we moved - I was trying to persuade him to come along tomorrow but he wouldn't have it, "no. I see it on the telly. Modern football is a load of rubbish" :hihi:

whiskylion

King of The Jungle - 9/3/2018 11:52

Thanks both - I will pass this on to his mate Dave (the bloke I was having a beer with) - he'll be thrilled that people still have a record of him. Dave used to watch us at the old place but has never been since we moved - I was trying to persuade him to come along tomorrow but he wouldn't have it, "no. I see it on the telly. Modern football is a load of rubbish" :hihi:
Oh, forgot to mention: Graham Brown does have a further semi-Millwall connection.

He played first team football with John Seasman and Tony Towner at Rotherham in the early 1980s.

Thanks for the info. I only really started going along to the reserve fixtures after that once we got season tickets and popped along to the home London Midweek League games. So I have more memories of the reserve keepers after that - people like Dave Mackie or Parsons.