Furlough advice N/W

Bexleyheath_lion

My brother in law stated a new job just before the latest furlough scheme started. Subsequently he falls into the void of people that cant get furlough pay. Fella aint got a pot to piss in, is there a way to get him his furlough money, or any other help available to him? I'm helping him at the moment, but with Mrs Bex of work cant sustain that for too long.

HappyLion

My brother in law stated a new job just before the latest furlough scheme started. Subsequently he falls into the void of people that cant get furlough pay. Fella aint got a pot to piss in, is there a way to get him his furlough money, or any other help available to him? I'm helping him at the moment, but with Mrs Bex of work cant sustain that for too long.
Short answer, no. Quite a few people have fallen through this crack.

Ulster Lion

Does he have a previous employer? I'm unsure if the rule still goes, perhaps someone else can fill this bit in, but the old employer can re-employ people who left after 20th Feb for furlough purposes. Job Retention Scheme it is called. Hope this helps.
I think you could be right there.... I know of someone who changed jobs after the first lockdown, but didn't qualify for furlough with their new employers. They got paid after contacting their previous employer. Don't know the ins and outs of it, but certainly worth exploring.

Terry_Hurlock

Chef in a pub I think, so told not to come to work. But he hasn't been paid by the new company, so cant claim furlough

Zero hours?

It's not up to him to claim the furlough, it's up to the employer... but the employer has to pay him, if he has a contract and hasn't been laid off that is.

The furlough payment is not his issue.... payment from employer is.

Bexleyheath_lion

Zero hours?

It's not up to him to claim the furlough, it's up to the employer... but the employer has to pay him, if he has a contract and hasn't been laid off that is.

The furlough payment is not his issue.... payment from employer is.

I think it was more a case hadn't earnt anything before furlough started

Terry_Hurlock

That's actually irrelevant mate, if he has a contract of employment, they must pay him or lay him off.. The furlough grant is their problem, not his.

That saying, as just started he wouldn't get anything if laid off... so if he chased they may just say "bye then"..

Tricky....