For us old gits, some memories before the snowflakes, pc brigade were born

Bermondseyinexile

It’s crazy to think how independent we were as kids back then. During the summer holidays we would fuck off out in the morning and stay out until after dark, no phones nothing. These days you worry yourself sick if your kids are out for an hour or so and you don’t hear from them.

We would be on our feet all day grafting from estate to estate, in the park on the slides or playing football, no wonder everyone was a skinny cunt. Who remembers the adventure playgrounds? Apart from the climbing things and ropes being borderline death traps you also had to worry about the local fruit cakes starting on you. I was in the one on Spa Rd in the early 80s when the gaff had a reputation and got a punch in the face within five
Also living on the river/docks and with all the waste ground/dumps as well there was loads of filming with programmes like the sweeney bit later dempsey and makepeace, minder, paradise club and a lot of the professionals which we always tried to disrupt by making noise shouting swearing or get on in the background doing silly walks etc😁 not sure if they had had enough of us but eventually we were asked to carry on playing football during a scene while they chased "the villain" through all of us, I would've been the one no one could get the ball off😁
Me and a pal got locked in with the filming of the professionals in Chambers Wharf
Bodie was a flash c@nt in real life too. Wanted my mates sisters number.. got told where to go.

Lion of rotherhithe

IMG-20210113-WA0030.jpg
Think that's albion dock? as I remember the shed (as in picture) was higher and a bit further back from the water so more dangerous to jump from plus we couldn't get up there but managed to get a rope attached and swing out to the water, dumper truck would be at the bottom 😁

Lion of rotherhithe

That's it ,"Rovverhive". Remember the toilet("Heads)block we had to walk to for a "tom tit" .we were berthed by those sheds.
Had many many hours of fun/mischief over there after they had closed, was a kids dream. When first started going over there would find gentlemens magazines😳😁 in the toilet block, are you (not you personally) or the dockers guilty?

Lionman

And then there was the solid white ice cream blocks from Rossis in the new Cross road......never had ice cream like it since

Secondwave

Was it not Kensitas Coupons, my mother smoked Kensitas Club (so did I as I got older). They had a Kenitas catalogue and a coupon redeem shop in Glasgow City Centre. You needed about 5000 coupons to get a toaster.

You could also get 15p from the local shop for 100 coupons if you were skint.

Me too,remember the christmasses in there?
Remember the Zoo in the basement, wouldn’t be allowed now

bazzwall

View attachment 14024
Think that's albion dock? as I remember the shed (as in picture) was higher and a bit further back from the water so more dangerous to jump from plus we couldn't get up there but managed to get a rope attached and swing out to the water, dumper truck would be at the bottom 😁
That is where my dad worked, grandad, uncles, unloading timber from around the globe. Me dad took a tumble in the crane into the dock there as well, no harm done, well not to him anyway.

Wandering star

Got caught nicking "hot wheels" cars from a shop in Brixton,can't remember the name but what I 've never forgot was my old man giving me a good hiding,
The kids upstairs got whacked with a hot wheels track if they back chatted their mum bright orange I think it was!
Fuck hot wheels!nothing but trouble where I grew up.

Lion of rotherhithe

Lion of rotherhithe

Great thread mate. As Ilderton said, you'd be out from morning to dark and beyond if you was older. Only went home when called in for meals then straight back out to carry on the game of football. If there was no ball we'd make a go kart from timber that we'd hunt for, wheels off an old pram, nut and bolt, rope and off you fucking go. Bulldog and run outs being played by the whole estate and anyone else that wanted to join in. Trapsing around on sites of rubble looking for fuck knows what, you'd never get bored like the kids of today do. We used our imaginations and utilised any old tat in the search of fun.

Playing world cup. end to end, 15 a side games with the fat kid in goal, last goal wins cause it was time to go in. Hopscotch grids on the pavements, the toffee apple man, collecting empty stout and corona bottles to get 2p back on each of them, scrumping apples and pears from what we thought was the posh persons garden, knock down ginger, digging out worms from between the paving stones with ice lolly sticks. Skinny dipping in Burgess park, ramps up on bricks to jump over on a battered old bike, getting the odd freebie off the chipshop bloke that he couldn't sell, any fish for our dog please mister? ( the dog never fucking got it :grinning: ) crackling, a 3p mix up from the sweetshop, A Jubilee ,cherry brandy lollys off the ice cream van. A rare day out on a red bus rover.

We keep being told what a great country we live in, how fortunate we are, how we have freedoms and possessions, do fuck off, give me the olden days all day long. Community, kids were afforded there innocence, we were kept away from morbid and shit news, we wanted for fuck all maybe apart from a football kit or Tonka toy for your birthday or Christmas. We could bounce from estate to estate with a ball under your arm and be welcomed by strangers.

It used to bug me a bit about getting older, you always want to be young. Comparing my/ our childhoods to todays kids makes me realise that i wouldn't want to be growing up in todays world and that i'm grateful for the childhood i had, i wouldn't change it for a thing.
Aiming air raid bombshells (is that what they were called?) At the miserable bastards balcony who always told us to stop playing football, keep the noise down etc, knocking on their door and leaving a banger on the doorstep fizzing away. All I wanted for Christmas was a millwall kit and a football (every year till my 23rd birthday😳😉😂) one year I got a chopper (orange) rode it all the way to one of the parks, hyde or St James's with mates seemed fucking miles and miles away had no idea where we were going, also every year got a football game, can't remember what it was called was a green cardboard pitch with plastic players and plastic goals and played like tiddlywinks, played that game alone for hours, funnily enough millwall always won😁