Peckham Park keeper with the big bangers
Stink bombt
Bazooka joes
Saturday morning pictures
Pubs shutting at three
Peckham rye Park soldiers huts
The friary disco on a Sunday

Today’s kids ????? No chance of surviving
Hole in sole of shoe, mum would lay a cereal box flat and place shoe on it, draw round and cut it out then place in shoe till she could buy me a new pair or take to the boot man. Right bastard if it rained

Old Kent Rogue

i was the only non smoker in the family but always recall me Dad having a tin like this below, a roll up man
Thinking about it now spose he was a bit of a Andy Capp , the old corner of the mouth with a cig on

Got 8mm footage of him on his Motor bike , No Crash helmet, smoking a fag as he pulled into the kerb
Off of Ilderton road

View attachment 13996
So that’s where my money box went

Peckham Lion

one kid looked the wrong way when crossing the road got hit and carried a few yards (not fast) slid off the bonnet got up waved at the driver and said some random French words🤷‍♂️ we got him to the beach wall to sit down on (only about 2ft) he sat well attempted to sit down and just fell backwards onto the beach 4ft below
:rotfl:

, was a teacher out there taking the piss out of the ones being sick
Hahaha. They'd be banged up if that happened today.

Blinding thread, mate :thumbup:

partisan_lion

Had the luxury of two adventure playgrounds although Battersea Park was a bus ride away.Not been there for years, but now its soft play adventure playground with no sight of a scaffold board all for the Finbar's and Hnerietta's..
The other was a 5 minute walk away in Kimber Road Wandsworth and was run by some biker types that looked a cross between Lemmy and Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull.Kids smacking their heads on telegraph poles/scaffold boards or ripping gashes in their knees on nails not fully nailed in!.
Nicking lead off the Anchor Mission roof to give to my mates old am for a few quid.
We'd go down behind Wandsworth bus garage which backed onto theThames,hang off the wall and drop onto the boats, we'd take turns with my mates poxy, cheap inflatable dinghy and pull each other over the stone steps, obviously to the obvious dangers.
Riding bikes, playing football with no real need for the door key as we were out all day and got back just in time for dinner.
Also,dfays out on the Red Bus Rover ticket.
Between 78 and 83 (13 by then) was a terrific childhood.

Halfwaybear

Embassy & Kensington coupons plus of course green shield stamps
Was it not Kensitas Coupons, my mother smoked Kensitas Club (so did I as I got older). They had a Kensitas catalogue and a coupon redeem shop in Glasgow City Centre. You needed about 5000 coupons to get a toaster.

You could also get 15p from the local shop for 100 coupons if you were skint.

Last edited:

Halfwaybear

I remember the excitement at Primary when one of your mates came to school with an old nude book he found (playboy or penthouse etc).There were boys in the older classes above buying pages for 2p or 5p etc depending on how good the photos were!

Last edited:

Halfwaybear

School dinners: balls of mashed potatoes, some mince and peas was the usual fare, for pudding cake and custard ( sometimes semolina absolute shite).

I remember when the dinner woman would shout extras for the puddings; there was a stampede and fights galore to get to her hatch.

The first photo is from 1970 shows a Glasgow primary, it looks quite posh with everyone wearing a uniform.
The second photo is also from 1970 but looks a lot less posh, in a primary in Maryhill Glasgow, a couple of boys still wearing their Rangers tammys (knitted hats).

Last edited:

Eamon Dunphys tackle

Was it not Kensitas Coupons, my mother smoked Kensitas Club (so did I as I got older). They had a Kenitas catalogue and a coupon redeem shop in Glasgow City Centre. You needed about 5000 coupons to get a toaster.

You could also get 15p from the local shop for 100 coupons if you were skint.

Brings it all back to me now.
My mum when she was younger smoked Kensitas. She used to redeem her coupons in a Kensitas catalouge shop on The Old Street roundabout in London.

Halfwaybear

The Kids Olympics photos are great LoR. I’m sure the one of them jumping out the window is from Glasgow.

Heres a couple of other Glasgow ones..

High Jump at Queens Cross area Glasgow

quick image hosting
The cheers on a successful jump

Rowing team Gorbals 1966, the group of kids behind the rowers are the Gorbals motor cycle display team practising hard.

Last edited:

Lion of rotherhithe

Also living on the river/docks and with all the waste ground/dumps as well there was loads of filming with programmes like the sweeney bit later dempsey and makepeace, minder, paradise club and a lot of the professionals which we always tried to disrupt by making noise shouting swearing or get on in the background doing silly walks etc😁 not sure if they had had enough of us but eventually we were asked to carry on playing football during a scene while they chased "the villain" through all of us, I would've been the one no one could get the ball off😁

Last edited: