For us old gits, some memories before the snowflakes, pc brigade were born

Ilderton Wanderer

It’s crazy to think how independent we were as kids back then. During the summer holidays we would fuck off out in the morning and stay out until after dark, no phones nothing. These days you worry yourself sick if your kids are out for an hour or so and you don’t hear from them.

We would be on our feet all day grafting from estate to estate, in the park on the slides or playing football, no wonder everyone was a skinny cunt. Who remembers the adventure playgrounds? Apart from the climbing things and ropes being borderline death traps you also had to worry about the local fruit cakes starting on you. I was in the one on Spa Rd in the early 80s when the gaff had a reputation and got a punch in the face within five minutes.

Lion of rotherhithe

It’s crazy to think how independent we were as kids back then. During the summer holidays we would fuck off out in the morning and stay out until after dark, no phones nothing. These days you worry yourself sick if your kids are out for an hour or so and you don’t hear from them.

We would be on our feet all day grafting from estate to estate, in the park on the slides or playing football, no wonder everyone was a skinny cunt. Who remembers the adventure playgrounds? Apart from the climbing things and ropes being borderline death traps you also had to worry about the local fruit cakes starting on you. I was in the one on Spa Rd in the early 80s when the gaff had a reputation and got a punch in the face within five minutes.
🤣 southwark park was my regular, as you say no ropes to hold on to, climb up 15-20ft then walk across planks of wood that used to bend (always made sure the fat kid went across alone😁) then up a few more feet to the tyre to ride it all the way down (zip wire style) making sure you jumped off before hitting the tree at the bottom 😁

BigPaul

I had one of those carts. I was at my gran's house in Devon. Her house was on a hill on the edge of Dartmoor, in Okehampton. Anyway, the game was to ride the cart down the grassy hill in front of her house, obviously.

One time I made the descent and crashed at the bottom. The cart came to pieces and the 6 inch nail holding the front axel in place went straight through my right hand and came out the other side.

I was about 9 years old.
Did I spend hours in A&E waiting for a tetanus jab and all that?
No! I cried a bit (howled like hell, actually :grinning: ), withdrew the nail from my hand, put a plaster on it and carried on playing.

Beaufoyboy

We were indeed the lucky ones as we had freedoms that kids can only dream off nowadays, pretty sad really

penny for the guy
Knocking on doors and singing Carole’s at Christmas
music, football, tv and life in general oh so much better back then even if we had fark all