Food shortage,

Eamon Dunphys tackle

The concept of food shortages is a load of bollocks. There is plenty of food. The problem arises if people clear out a particular item off the shelves. Supermarket supply chains do not have the capacity to simply make another new delivery to any store, so the store is out of stock until the next scheduled delivery. The stores, generally do not hold much stock other than what is on the shop floor, so shortages are created by the numpties who buy more than they need. The moral is everyone carries on buying just what they need
I got what I needed tonight in Tesco's.
Also diesel in the car.

champs08

The concept of food shortages is a load of bollocks. There is plenty of food. The problem arises if people clear out a particular item off the shelves. Supermarket supply chains do not have the capacity to simply make another new delivery to any store, so the store is out of stock until the next scheduled delivery. The stores, generally do not hold much stock other than what is on the shop floor, so shortages are created by the numpties who buy more than they need. The moral is everyone carries on buying just what they need
Agree with some of this but I’m at the end of the food supply chain that is seeing something unusual and very worrying. Kat week I was sat with the MD of a very large meat processing company. He’s lost 40% of his work force off with covid, isolating or gone back to their own country. They can’t get food produced to demand and they don’t have a plan to combat it. They also have 24 Arctic’s sat outside their factory’s because there is a huge shortage of hgv1 drivers. Apparently 30-40% on drivers that are required to keep our supply chain going.

These are unprecedented times and not to be played down. Over the next 6 weeks as our nation goes on holiday in the UK, we are about to see food shortages like never before. It’s not just retail that have the issues, only 6 in 10 boxes of food are finding it’s way into pubs restaurants and hotels.

It’s a complete mess.

tony_dolby

Agree with some of this but I’m at the end of the food supply chain that is seeing something unusual and very worrying. Kat week I was sat with the MD of a very large meat processing company. He’s lost 40% of his work force off with covid, isolating or gone back to their own country. They can’t get food produced to demand and they don’t have a plan to combat it. They also have 24 Arctic’s sat outside their factory’s because there is a huge shortage of hgv1 drivers. Apparently 30-40% on drivers that are required to keep our supply chain going.

These are unprecedented times and not to be played down. Over the next 6 weeks as our nation goes on holiday in the UK, we are about to see food shortages like never before. It’s not just retail that have the issues, only 6 in 10 boxes of food are finding it’s way into pubs restaurants and hotels.

It’s a complete mess.

The govt. will be issuing new advice for key workers regarding the 'app'. I've never had it, and most sensible people have now deleted it. There is also no legal requirement to isolate follow the advice of the 'app' - you only have to isolate if contacted directly by NHS test and trace.

The issue of meat packing though is more problematic given that this virus seems to spread fast in meat packaging facilities. Given the number of Eastern Europeans that have gone back home I can see your problem.

Hopefully, the list of key workers who can ignore the 'ping' will include HGV drivers and other supermarket supply chain workers.

waterloowacker

Exactly. Worlds gone mad.

Did they have Bryl cream though?
GwhD0G8.jpg