Corona Virus in Italy

R.O.D

Great read. Sort of explains why the Govt's strategy is, with access to such figures.

Interesting to read that they are basically dying WITH Corna Virus not FROM it.

Doesnt't detract its still hideous and very dangerous in terms of debilitation to a great swathe of society. But just in terms of Mortality less bad than perhaps we think> Also underlines why Govt focusing on the 1.5 m. Those in effect who will dies WITH it than FROM it.

Gerry

Apparently an enormous percentage of Italians that have died had serious health problems to begin with. Looks like a combo of poor health, weak immune system plus this fucking virus saw them off.

tony_dolby

This is the thing I’ve been wondering, are people dying because of covid or dying with covid in their systems
That's the $64,000 question. I was talking to someone who works in intensive care and, as of Sunday, he said that 2/3 of the beds were filled and all with COVID- 19 cases. However, he also said that all these patients were very ill already with other conditions. Today, I learned that two of these patients had died.

There are others that have died that didn't seem to have underlying health conditions. I suppose this virus might be like flu which kills some healthy people for no apparent reason. I wouldn't mind betting though, that vaping, smoking, drinking and drug taking might explain some of these deaths.

Millwall-84

A lot of Italians smoke as well, wonder if that contributes to it, as it obviously gives them a weak immune system ?

Moody

I think the poor Italians coped it worst thanks to their culture...

Many live in 3 generation households, especially outside the major cities. So, lots of opportunity for kids and parents to give it to grandparents.

They are very tactile as a people, even with strangers.

As said above by 84, a lot smoke. I’d imagine the majority of Italians over 70 have fucked lungs in the sense.

Conversely, they have second oldest population in world.

Moody

There are others that have died that didn't seem to have underlying health conditions. I suppose this virus might be like flu which kills some healthy people for no apparent reason. I wouldn't mind betting though, that vaping, smoking, drinking and drug taking might explain some of these deaths.
Isn’t it true that sometimes someone’s immune system can over react - which is why there are always cases where healthy people have sadly died. A bit like when some poor sods that have never smoked in their life get lung cancer.

tony_dolby

Isn’t it true that sometimes someone’s immune system can over react - which is why there are always cases where healthy people have sadly died. A bit like when some poor sods that have never smoked in their life get lung cancer.
Yes. The reasons for this are poorly understood at the moment.