Chiesmans,lewisham

Polegate Lion

As I remember it was a set up of stalls but there may have been a shop behind it, coming from creek road? it was on the right hand side before the station, it was sort of set back off the pavement, but I was quite young then so may not remember it right?
My wife is a Deptford girl and used to live off the High Street close to St Paul’s Church. She’s just been rattling off a load of names of shops and boozers that used to be down there.

tobydog

My wife is a Deptford girl and used to live off the High Street close to St Paul’s Church. She’s just been rattling off a load of names of shops and boozers that was down there.
I havnt lived there since the late 50's when we moved out to Grove Park with my dads job, there used to be a playground in the approach to St Pauls and me and my mate sometimes used to spend all of our 6d pocket money on 6 jam donuts and sit on the swings or whatever and scoff them.. happy days!

albertrn

My wife lived in Deptford High Street as a young girl her dad had the fish and chip shop called Perfectos opposite Manzies she loved it there. Hennies the butchers used to sell pease pudding faggots and pigs trotters every Friday and Saturday.

thelordwinkle

My wife lived in Deptford High Street as a young girl her dad had the fish and chip shop called Perfectos opposite Manzies she loved it there. Hennies the butchers used to sell pease pudding faggots and pigs trotters every Friday and Saturday.
Anyone Remember the Faggot Stall, Dunton Rd, used to youse it when pissed in the Dun Cow ?

Polegate Lion

My wife’s mum and dad used to go for a drink in the Pilot and end up getting pease pudding and saveloy to take home from the shop next to the fish shop.

Polegate Lion

I havnt lived there since the late 50's when we moved out to Grove Park with my dads job, there used to be a playground in the approach to St Pauls and me and my mate sometimes used to spend all of our 6d pocket money on 6 jam donuts and sit on the swings or whatever and scoff them.. happy days!
I’ve just been told that you might have bought your penny donuts in a bakery called Edwards and she called the playground you ate them in the rec.

kevrelles

You must remember when we had the power cuts they even told everyone what time it was going to happen ha the high st was full everyone loaded up with bricks at the ready ha ha as del boy would say nice little erner
The thing was they let you know when the power cuts were going to happen.ha ha yes a right nice little earner.fuck me the good old days of a bit of honest theiving. Not mugging or battering some poor cunt.

Fantoes by Deptford Station, as a 7 year old used to hide in the under counter storage areas from my mum. Used to be an M&S down there too.

We lived at the Deptford Broadway end of Deptford High St but I used to see a girl at the other end and remember the adventure playground being called the Kentie. No idea why. Might have been a pub name.

Used to play in the dumps near to where the tree huggers are now, near Reginald Road.

tobydog

Fantoes by Deptford Station, as a 7 year old used to hide in the under counter storage areas from my mum. Used to be an M&S down there too.

We lived at the Deptford Broadway end of Deptford High St but I used to see a girl at the other end and remember the adventure playground being called the Kentie. No idea why. Might have been a pub name.

Used to play in the dumps near to where the tree huggers are now, near Reginald Road.
Yes Fantos! havnt heard that name for decades! cant remember an M&S but sure there was a Peacocks there

Last edited:

Bromleywalltj

My wife is a Deptford girl and used to live off the High Street close to St Paul’s Church. She’s just been rattling off a load of names of shops and boozers that used to be down there.
There used to be a block of flats right behind/side of st Paul's about 100 metres if that called bakes house ,was born there 67 and moved 71, not long after they knocked them down.