Campaign Launched To Save South London's Stretcher Fences nw

PurleyLion

I posted many moons back that I was born in Eastwell House, off Weston Street, Bermondsey and mentioned that the fences were made from WW2 stretchers.

For those of you familiar with South London estates, the following may be of interest :thumbup:

HappyLion

Thats right, We were going to use them in the event of a nuclear strike in the early 80's. Bodies were going to be burnt on Clapham common. Now the time has passed I can reveal we were to leave London and plot up in Maidstone. We were then to be used to supply drinking water to troops stationed around London who were to stop the population from leaving. You can guess what would happen to anyone trying to leave. :tank::guns:

Stompie

Thats right, We were going to use them in the event of a nuclear strike in the early 80's. Bodies were going to be burnt on Clapham common. Now the time has passed I can reveal we were to leave London and plot up in Maidstone. We were then to be used to supply drinking water to troops stationed around London who were to stop the population from leaving. You can guess what would happen to anyone trying to leave. :tank::guns:

Would you have done It?

Would most of them have done It?

The police are mostly In It for themselves, they would shoot without warning and probably smile whilst they did.
The army, to my mind at least, are the proud public, taking on a serious job/roll/vocation.

American's have their 4th amendment (maybe 5th?) which gives them the right to bare arms to stop a tyranical government taking over.

We have the British army, who all ultimately serve the Queen, the country, the public and especially their own family over any politician or law.

My step-Brother Is a Cold Stream Guard and Is currently In Iraq, (he's not Into the brotherly love that some are known for around the Palaces and Castles) and he and his mates, the ones I know of atleast, would rather turn on their masters then fight against the public.

I've not served so obviously I'm not In the best position to talk about the army, but I genually belive the majority of our boys have a closer bond to the country and public than any other Institution and they wouldn't sell themselves out.

Last edited:

The Humble One

I posted many moons back that I was born in Eastwell House, off Weston Street, Bermondsey and mentioned that the fences were made from WW2 stretchers.

For those of you familiar with South London estates, the following may be of interest :thumbup:

Oddly enough I used to work in Weston St. So yes I remember the fences

Peckham Lion

Funny enough, those estates are surviving demolition and being condemned for more gentrification/ yuppie hutches. They are very sturdy blocks that London councils can't just purposely let go beyond repair and decant tenants out of London. London has some fascinating history that is sadly being built over.